BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Any thread or comment faves you have here? Just curious.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 8-2-2020 at 12:30 AM
Any thread or comment faves you have here? Just curious.

Just out of curiosity, do you have a thread or post/comment here that's one of your favorites for some reason?

I recently referenced (again) the term "pizza insurance" for driving in Baja to someone, which was first referenced here by users Dave and then with more deliberate detail and wit, Oso. Oso later indicated he was certain he stole that term from someone else on the Amigos board (person/user unknown).

Here's Oso's post from May 2005:

Quote: Originally posted by Oso  
This has been a very interesting thread. But one thing has not been mentioned...

The nicer and newer the vehicle, the more somebody else may want it.

My 82 Chevy Silverado is in the shop for yet more repairs. But, hey I have to be honest, I beat the hell out of it on a regular basis. As my mechanic gave me a ride home, we discussed vehicles and Mexico. We were in his sister-in-law's fairly late model 2wd Tacoma. He said it got 17 mpg. I've always liked Toyos, the only vehicle I've ever bought new in my life was a 77 Toyo truck ($3,000). it was great but foolishly I didn't keep it long due to "circumstances". Frankly. 17 mpg for a 2wd v6 does not impress me and makes me think twice about Toyos in spite of their reliability.

The next thing that he mentioned was that a friend of his recently took his new Lincoln Navigator to El Golfo. On the way back, they stopped to help some people in trouble. while on the side of the road, a couple of "narcos" stopped, admired the Lincoln and decided to take it. They shot the guy and beat his wife before jacking the Navigator. There's been little if anything in the news, hurts tourism ya know. I don't want to imply that El Golfo is a hotbed of crime. Actually, Phoenix is now the car theft capital of the world. But, mierda happens.

That's why I'm still carrying "Pizza" insurance. I drive a Pizza Chit in Baja and hardly ever bother locking it. Nobody wants it. The mileage sucks, it's old and ugly. But hey, so am I. It needs fixing from time to time (so do I), but there are no computers to freak out shade tree mechanics in San Goloteo de Las nalgas, BCS. The Chevy 350 is known everywhere and chimpanzees can fix it without screwing much up. Parts are available at yonkes up and down the peninsula. It's paid for,I don't need more insurance than liability and if the worst of worst scenarios occurs, I can just walk away from it with no major tragedy in my life.

btw... if anyone feels this opens the door to make a point of something political that was posted, or off-topic.... um, no. Please refrain. Thank you for your kind consideration.

[Edited on 8-2-2020 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2020 at 03:27 AM

pizza insurance! It is what I drive too!!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Favorite threads? I really enjoyed Roger's writing back in the day. He had a way of expressing himself that was unique and wonderful. And so much experience! His co-pilots were gorgeous. He lived the life, for sure. The history he added was incredible and you felt smarter just by reading about a place.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2020 at 09:59 AM

I enjoy JZ and pup photos esp. on the water. Lots of love for Baja, here.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2020 at 12:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
pizza insurance! It is what I drive too!!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Favorite threads? I really enjoyed Roger's writing back in the day. He had a way of expressing himself that was unique and wonderful. And so much experience! His co-pilots were gorgeous. He lived the life, for sure. The history he added was incredible and you felt smarter just by reading about a place.

X2, I also miss Roger’s (Pompano) posts. He had the best of the Baja experience for many years and shared it for the enjoyment of everyone. His pictures are classic Baja, but unfortunately were reported to have been swallowed up in the photo bucket mess. We all lost out on that. We have started on another generation contributing however, with many others such as JZ and DK taking up some of the slack.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-2-2020 at 03:46 PM

There are so many great posts here over the past 18 years it is easy to bypass certain non-Baja-travel threads. I would like to nominate 'geoffff' for providing so many excellent trip reports!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2020 at 04:25 PM

Let us not forget osprey. He wasn't particularly funny but he did write well and took pride in doing so.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-2-2020 at 05:42 PM

Suggestion
Since this is a "Baja Board" install a program that instantly vaporizes any post that mentions the name of any politician of any country other than Mexico. POOF>>Gone
Back to Baja

And, on another note
Stuck Sucks posts great pix
Keep it up.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2020 at 06:57 AM

i like the simple explanation of complex sciencey stuff like climate change , and pandemics reduced to terms the uneducated can grasp.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2020 at 07:49 AM

yes, it is.....could also be categorized as snark
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2020 at 08:12 AM

The Baja surfing spots changing nuance is of constant interest to those planning

And of course the taboo subject of "secret surf spots"

Es Todo Bueno
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2020 at 05:02 PM

I miss Oso. D.E.P.

P>*))).><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-6-2020 at 07:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Suggestion
Since this is a "Baja Board" install a program that instantly vaporizes any post that mentions the name of any politician of any country other than Mexico. POOF>>Gone
Back to Baja

And, on another note
Stuck Sucks posts great pix
Keep it up.

Perfect! :cool:
I miss Mike Humfreville's posts as well as Osprey's and Debra's (Travelpearl), too! Man it is tough to have friends leave this place. KASHEYDOG was pretty cool!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-6-2020 at 07:25 PM

Best thread:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=38204
The great Turtle soup affair!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2020 at 08:31 AM

in the mid 70s i ate more than my share of green sea turtle in the western Caribbean. i feel badly about that......but daaaaaamn, oh-so-yummy.
oh ya , manatees too. i have a bit of environmental karma to sort through.

[Edited on 8-8-2020 by pacificobob]
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2020 at 04:24 PM
Oso o no :-(

oh my, another of the greats - Rest Peacefully Amigo …
agree completely with what lencho wrote.
Be and stay safe all, L

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by Paulina  
I miss Oso. D.E.P.

Oh, dear-- is he gone? When? :(

I agree, he was one of early thoughtful members here, a good man who knew of what he wrote. And way more than he wrote.

I miss those days of thoughtful substance. :)

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2020 at 07:08 PM

What happened to also? When and where? Last I heard he was living in Mexicali.

I also liked the writings of David Eidell. He was a very knowledgable guy and had tons of experience in Mexico. Hope he’s doing well somewhere.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2020 at 10:33 PM

Oso passed January of 2014. A friend visited with his wife, Ana, soon after his death. I think she went back to Hidalgo to live with her family.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-11-2020 at 08:38 AM

Thank you, Paulina, for the closure.

David Eidell (aka 'Dah-veed' or DavidE) was quite the conversationalist and writer. He was our guest aboard the Viva Baja Van in 2001 and attended a couple of my Viva Baja events... Paulina was there also at all three Dah-veed attended events. His final residence in Baja (that we know of) was at Bahía Asunción, in one of Shari's rentals... Here is his goodbye post from 6-27-14:

Quote: Originally posted by DavidE  
David went home for awhile to help the kids. Cris-Craft from La Paz to Manzanillo, then bus down the coast of Michoacan. Got smothered in hugs and kisses. Pretty dangerous there now. Mangoes yielded 6.2 tonaladas. Flew back on Volaris for eqvt of 88 dollars.

David, sadly is saying adios to Baja California. Means forever. Ironic that I depart almost to the week of the 50th anniversary of my 1st visit. Being now Mexicano it did not surprise me to feel far more comfortable south of the border than north.

Future plans include, summer residence on a high alpine lake surrounded by volcanoes, a winter or so maybe on Utila or Roatan, and a stretch in Nicaragua, way up north in the mountains. C.A. is small - tiny actually. It's only 800 miles from the lake to my orchard and casita. It is extremely doubtful that after heading south I will ever see the USA again.

Pilar, Dalia and Hermalinda beat me up for "staying away so long". Dalia's tears were the hardest to bear. Pancho, the catorro got eaten by a cat (I caught him while picnicking at Rio Chuta - he was a small parrot). 3 seconds flat he was eating mango, tommy's sunflower seeds and pacing my shoulders. Fastest domestication of a wild bird I ever heard of.

I am taking a lot of memories with me. Found out memories are the only valid currency of old age. Money, land, prestige are worthless.

There is a panteon on a hillside next to the volcanic lake. Looks suitable to me.

Adios Amigos Que le Vaya Y Vive Bien!

BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2020 at 09:55 AM

Suggestion:
Baja rosary for those that are butt hurt:

For the 1 big bead say "Peace, Love & fish tacos"

For the 5 little beads say "No bad days in Baja"

Es Todo Bueno
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2020 at 03:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
Let us not forget osprey. He wasn't particularly funny but he did write well and took pride in doing so.

Osprey had a gift for storytelling that I envy. He and I corresponded frequently during what turned out to be his last 4 years, and we even got to meet in person once. I remember him pressing me for details about things he never experienced directly - like Boston or a Nor'easter - just so that he could research them and incorporate them into a short story. One of these days I'll cobble together the stories he shared with me and make them available to a wider audience.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.