Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Parque Constitucion Fire Aug. 3, 2020
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 8-5-2020 at 08:06 PM
Parque Constitucion Fire Aug. 3, 2020

A forest fire was reported in the southeast section of Parque Constitucion. 131 firefighters are currently on the job, attempting to control and contain the fire.

Link: https://www.animalpolitico.com/2020/08/combaten-incendio-for...
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 8-5-2020 at 08:18 PM

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 8-5-2020 at 10:52 PM

There has been what looks like a bunch of smoke in the air about sundown north of SF the last couple nights, that would explain it pretty much.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2020 at 01:52 AM

It appears that there are multiple fires. The more northerly fire is about 12 miles south of Laguna Hanson. Moving east toward the escarpment.
https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/map/?fbclid=IwAR02h-9Ui...
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2020 at 08:16 AM

I was in the northern Sierra Juarez yesterday. The weather in the mountains has been warmer than the inland areas of SD County, unusual. It was about 90 degrees and breezy, thought to myself, high fire danger. Fortunately was well north of the fires noted above. The really bad fires tend to be during Santa Ana conditions; a west wind can fan the flames, but the real infernos are when the wind is from the east, hot and dry. I wonder where the next Paradise type fire will be? Most likely a mobile home park in the foothills, disaster waiting to happen.

For inquiring minds, crossing south at Tecate Tuesday morning no issues, got the green light. The OXXO at El Condor had cases of Tecate light, but no red. It was before 10am, no alcohol sales, so kept going to La Rumorosa, OXXO there only had the big bottles of Tecate Red, and they were 40 pesos each. Rate of exchange at case de cambio was 20 pesos to the dollar. The dollar dropped a little recently, Fed printing money like there is no tomorrow.

Crossing north arrived at Tecate border 11:20 am Wednesday, line was longer than I have ever seen it. bummer! Everyone trying to get across before 2pm. Fortunately it moved pretty fast, one long line of vehicles with 2 gates open, got to gate in one hour ten minutes. Basically waved through.

[Edited on 8-6-2020 by bajaric]
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2020 at 10:36 AM

bajaric, Thanks for that update. I'm planning to go to La Rumorosa tomorrow, then south into the Sierra de Juarez.
You're right about the extreme fire danger. Impossible to control when there is wind and with limited resources.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2020 at 07:03 AM

"Everyone trying to get across before 2pm"
Why is that?
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2020 at 08:10 AM

Hi Wilderone, border crossing hours have changed

https://www.borderreport.com/news/california-mexico-ports-of...

I was somewhat expecting to be chastised on here for non essential travel (I do have a lot in Baja, with lease papers) but seems this forum has taken a decidedly warmer and fuzzier tone these days. I will say that I wore my mask, and only had brief interactions with OXXO clerks on the other side of a plexiglass barrier, then slept in my truck by myself in the mountains, so did not consider myself to be a huge threat to the health and welfare of the people of Baja. The super spreaders are those that congregate in large groups and do not practice social distancing and shout and sing and spit all over each other, or for that matter cram into a jet and head for Cabo.

With that said, I don't think I will be returning to Baja until the all clear is sounded. Was driving on Hwy 2 libre, eastbound, and three Federal police had set up an impromptu road block. All three were wearing masks, and toting guns slung over their shoulders. While they were in uniform, driving marked vehicles, it was a little unsettling to drive up on three masked men with machine guns. I figured they would spot the guilt written all over my face and hit me up for a "donation". After a little conversation, one said Americano? in surprise. They turned out to be perfectly friendly, just a random roadside check point for drug runners.

[Edited on 8-7-2020 by bajaric]
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2020 at 10:41 AM

bajaric,
Your experience of a temporary checkpoint is not unusual, and existed pre-pandemic. They are the good guys. My advice: don't let that dissuade you from Baja. Highway 2 is the link to the mainland for commerce, including narcotraficantes. So, it makes sense that they have both semi-permanent and impromptu checkpoints. But I get the "unsettling" part. It still gets my adrenaline going when I'm driving a dirt road in the sierra at night, barreling around a corner, and have to slam the brakes for Army soldiers with automatic rifles raised. I'm careful to move slowly, click on the interior lights, and give a friendly greeting. No sudden moves, right? !!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.