Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: free covid testing at ped-west
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 8-8-2020 at 09:55 AM
free covid testing at ped-west

think you might have it?

https://amotijuana.com/diario-se-haran-200-pruebas-covid-gra...
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2020 at 10:01 AM

I read a Facebook post about this yesterday and it said Ped-East. Who knows? But Ped-West has been closed for months. All pedestrians use the east side crossing. Maybe they are going to open Ped-West.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2020 at 05:01 PM

Then again, it says this will start in 2 weeks. Perhaps they intend to open Ped-West again? I didn't even realize it was closed.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2020 at 09:12 AM

Current wait: lanes closed. https://bwt.cbp.gov/details/09250407/PED.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2020 at 09:29 AM

Yes ped west is closed. All foot traffic is on the east side and northbound waits have been long.

We'll see where they put the testing station. Putting it on the west side with that crossing closed doesn't make much sense but that's what the news articles are saying.

https://www.10news.com/news/coronavirus/san-diego-county-to-...

[Edited on 8-9-2020 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-9-2020 at 10:11 AM
I wonder what test they are using?

My brother forwarded an opinion piece to me that makes the arguement that the PCR test is the wrong one to be sing right now, and that an antigen test would be a better choice. I will copy and paste the piece here, and keep in mind that it is from a site that is built on editorial cartoons.

After an early bureaucratic disaster ,’ the feds banned private sector tests and failed to deliver a test that worked ,’ the U.S. has ramped up testing to astronomical levels, dwarfing the rest of the world and any historical comparison.

We now average about 1.5 million tests per flu season, and we’ve now run over 57 million tests for COVID-19. But have all those tests delivered what proponents of mass testing promised? Have they contained the spread and restored public confidence that infectious people are at home, not out and about?

Absolutely not. In fact, by the time most test results are available, the people who were positive are no longer infectious. The tests serve no actual infection control purpose. And the tests that actually would make all the difference are still banned by the FDA. (emphasis added)

The CDC reports that most infected people are no longer infectious six to ten days after symptom onset. People with very severe disease can be infectious longer – up to 20 days – but people with severe disease aren’t waiting for a test result to find out if they are sick and self-isolate. The CDC also reports, however, that even though they have never found live, infectious virus three weeks after symptom onset, the so-called gold standard PCR tests we have been using can show positive based on non-infectious viral debris for up to 12 weeks.

So the mass, industrial-scale testing we’re doing – with several days turnaround time – isn’t letting infectious people know they are positive quickly enough to alter their behavior. And many of the positives are likely meaningless artifacts of months-old infections. It feeds a mass public panic but accomplishes little else.

The tests that we actually need are instant tests that people could take themselves and get results in the morning, confidently going about their daily activities knowing they are not infectious. These tests, paper antigen tests, have been developed by a team at MIT that applied for FDA approval back in March. There are several companies ready to mass produce them with FDA approval, and unlike the PCR tests that cost around $100 per test, the paper antigen tests could cost as little as $2, making daily self-testing cost effective for most Americans.

In an astonishing display of government stupidity, the FDA’s objection to the paper antigen tests is based on precisely the characteristic that makes them vastly superior to the PCR tests ,’ they are far less sensitive. FDA has used the extreme sensitivity of the PCR tests as a benchmark and refused to issue emergency use authorizations for less sensitive tests. But a test that is so sensitive that it picks up viral debris for months is not a useful tool to prevent infection.

A less sensitive test that is calibrated to show positive when a person is actually infectious is far more useful. That makes the paper antigen tests not only cheaper and faster but better than the 57 million PCR tests that have become a national obsession.

From the beginning the FDA has made a total mess of testing. Last week they finally introduced a new application for at-home testing. They should approve applications from credible paper antigen test manufacturers as soon as possible ,’ they really should have done it months ago.

Copyright 2020 Phil Kerpen, distributed by Cagle Cartoons newspaper syndicate.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-9-2020 at 10:22 AM
I got tested recently

It took six days to get an appointment at a drive through test site, and six more to get my results back (negative)!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2020 at 11:11 AM

My elementary school friend in Florida started having trouble breathing. She has asthma but wanted to dbl check for the C-virus. It took her 4 days to get an appt, and a week to get back the negative result. In the meantime, she never left her room.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-9-2020 at 12:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
It took six days to get an appointment at a drive through test site, and six more to get my results back (negative)!

Jeesh, how can things possibly be opened up safely with those delays? Makes contact tracing pretty useless. :rolleyes:

Out of curiosity, why did you get tested?

I did not have much of a fever, but my temperature was slightly elevated. I also had a dry, unproductive cough, achy joints and cold sweats. None of my symptoms would send me to a medical facility in normal times, but I just wanted to make sure that I was not a carrier.

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 8-9-2020 at 12:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
After an early bureaucratic disaster ,’ the feds banned private sector tests and failed to deliver a test that worked...

...the PCR tests that cost around $100 per test, the paper antigen tests could cost as little as $2...

Simple, ain't no money for all the little buddies of the current maladministration.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2020 at 12:25 PM

Anyone that wants a test, can get one.

It was an outright lie then, and still is.

Anyone that takes any medical advice from this pos, deserves what they get, or will get.

How anyone can continue to support this treasonous Moscow, Manchurian, Candidate, only has to look at what Grassley from Iowa, and Johnson from Wisconsin are doing. These two are furthering the Moscow candidates support for Putin by attempting to obfuscate the real facts of who is supporting the continued denigration of our democracy. Absolutely shameless, and yes, treasonous.

Over and out.

I know this will achieve nada with some of the convinced cult members this site, but know this, history is a harsh judge, and you who continue to support this monster daily disgracer in chief will be on the wrong side.

Your name and your family's name will not appreciate this in the future. Wake the f up!

Destroying our democracy for party over our nation, is at stake. Destroying our middle class, as history has repeatedly shown, has taken us to this point in what was once a shining light to the world. That is now gone.

Have at it. I know I am peeing inito the wind with some of the posters here, but it needs to be repeated until they see the truth.

Baja Nomad is a treasure for all of us Baja lovers, but, when it diverts from Peace, Love, and Fish Tacos , it goes astray.

I never go to any site for politics or suspect medical advice. we all get enough of that every day elsewhere.

Nomad is a relief valve, or it damn well should be. Off-topic is there for a reason. Doug has a hell of a job trying to moderate this group.

I have found ignoring certain threads every day is called for.

Maybe if others do the same, these trolls will go elsewhere. I can dream.

Not likely, as jzz, sic, keeps popping up under different names where he is not wanted. He is far from alone.

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2020 at 05:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
......and there's no such thing as "over and out"

No, not on this forum.

Whatever type of test they are using, this is better than nothing. Probably will have very little effect on the epidemic. If it's not mandatory, very few will do it, and if it is mandatory, asymptomatic patients isolation in this country has not been controlled so far.

[Edited on 8-10-2020 by Alm]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2020 at 05:19 PM

San Diego company converts shipping containers into COVID-19 'Quik Labs'

"The antibody test requires a finger to be pricked with results returned in just minutes. For the COVID-19 test, technicians will perform a mouth swab. Those results come back in about three or four hours."

"The results are sent directly to your phone."

Coming soon, hopefully.

https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/local/zevely-zone/covid-19...

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 8-10-2020 at 09:16 AM

testing will be done at ped-east

https://themazatlanpost.com/2020/08/10/new-covid-19-testing-...

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-10-2020 at 09:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surfhat  
Anyone that wants a test, can get one.

It was an outright lie then, and still is.

Anyone that takes any medical advice from this pos, deserves what they get, or will get.

How anyone can continue to support this treasonous Moscow, Manchurian, Candidate, only has to look at what Grassley from Iowa, and Johnson from Wisconsin are doing. These two are furthering the Moscow candidates support for Putin by attempting to obfuscate the real facts of who is supporting the continued denigration of our democracy. Absolutely shameless, and yes, treasonous.

Over and out.

I know this will achieve nada with some of the convinced cult members this site, but know this, history is a harsh judge, and you who continue to support this monster daily disgracer in chief will be on the wrong side.

Your name and your family's name will not appreciate this in the future. Wake the f up!

Destroying our democracy for party over our nation, is at stake. Destroying our middle class, as history has repeatedly shown, has taken us to this point in what was once a shining light to the world. That is now gone.

Have at it. I know I am peeing inito the wind with some of the posters here, but it needs to be repeated until they see the truth.

Baja Nomad is a treasure for all of us Baja lovers, but, when it diverts from Peace, Love, and Fish Tacos , it goes astray.

I never go to any site for politics or suspect medical advice. we all get enough of that every day elsewhere.

Nomad is a relief valve, or it damn well should be. Off-topic is there for a reason. Doug has a hell of a job trying to moderate this group.

I have found ignoring certain threads every day is called for.

Maybe if others do the same, these trolls will go elsewhere. I can dream.

Not likely, as jzz, sic, keeps popping up under different names where he is not wanted. He is far from alone.

Last month Trump said he was going to slow down/restrict the testing.
Looks like he carried through with his plan. I have a number of friends who have been tested. All had to wait 10+ days for results. So looks like Trump really followed through on his promise to slow down the testing.
Not sure what his reason was, as it is hard to do much with results if it takes 10 days to get results. If he wants to end this pandemic economic stagnation, he needs to put on his big boy pants and roll-out an effective national strategy based on sound public health science.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2020 at 06:34 PM

A test that is error prone is a little help, while, treatment for CV remains the same. Rest, cough syrup something to reduce fever, soup, etc.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-12-2020 at 07:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
A test that is error prone is a little help, while, treatment for CV remains the same. Rest, cough syrup something to reduce fever, soup, etc.

Your president (Not my president) has been pitching hydroxychloroquine. Others have been pitching remdesivir.
Newkid, what’s your Rx for the covid-19 patients that develop full on pneumonia? Cough syrup and soup?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2020 at 08:36 AM

Testing station open at PedEast

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/free-coronavirus-test...

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2020 at 10:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Testing station open at PedEast

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/free-coronavirus-test...

Nasal swab, must be PCR again. Results available in 3-5 days.

I wrote about this earlier, in UAE they give results over the phone same day, doing mandatory testing of the entire population, (probably have completed by now). Mandatory isolation of positive cases, including asymptomatic ones. Same in Korea at the peak of epidemic, results within 24 hours, strictly controlled isolation. Both countries are now largely virus-free. Just saying...
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2020 at 11:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Nasal swab, must be PCR again. Results available in 3-5 days.
Maybe a step in the right direction, but I fail to see how it's going to be very helpful for transmission control with such long delays and (apparently) no associated contact tracing.

Right. Alaska requires that you show a covid negative result taken within 3 days before they let you leave the airport. Border patrol should have similar requirements. Tests should not be done at the border.

You want to enter Mexico? Provide proof that you're clean.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.