BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mexicali bypass
esemjay1956

[*] posted on 8-14-2020 at 10:05 AM
Mexicali bypass

I'm looking for a map to get from San Luis border crossing to 5 south, trying to avoid most of Mexicali. Anyone have this? David?
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-14-2020 at 10:19 AM

The conventional thinking is to take Hwy. 2 then 2-D west and exit onto Hwy. 5 south. This is the fastest way and avoids city traffic.

The 'shortcut' through the farmlands takes longer as there are many stops and slow going. You decide and report back to us, please!

Here is the AAA map...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-14-2020 at 10:33 AM

I like the farmland shortcut. Interesting things to see, plenty of places to eat
Chris Crash

[*] posted on 8-14-2020 at 10:40 AM

Note that 2D is a toll road. Also, when you get onto Mex 5 from 2D, you will be heading north so you will have to make a U-turn. The first U-turn is close to the exit and is an easy U-turn unless you are pulling something.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-14-2020 at 10:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
I like the farmland shortcut. Interesting things to see, plenty of places to eat

I like it too, but "short cut" is sot of a misnomer! For me, the journey is what my trips to Baja are all about, so I don't mind playing hid and seek with the correct turns.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-14-2020 at 11:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  

So, would that be Mex 2 to BC 2 to BC 3 to BC 4 to Mex 5?
The AAA map shows the first miles of BC 2 as being unpaved... Is that still the case?
Please, details, we love details!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 8-15-2020 at 05:14 PM

BajaLou told me if I wanted to go to Yuma from San Felipe take Hwy 5 to 4 to 3 to 2. worked for me.

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-15-2020 at 05:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wornout  
BajaLou told me if I wanted to go to Yuma from San Felipe take Hwy 5 to 4 to 3 to 2. worked for me.

That is the route I took once, and it was fun! It would be MEX5 to BC4, BC3, then BC2 all the way to Algodones, or east on MEX2 to San Luis.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 8-15-2020 at 06:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Quote: Originally posted by wornout  

That is the route I took once, and it was fun! It would be MEX5 to BC4, BC3, then BC2 all the way to Algodones, or east on MEX2 to San Luis.

Don't do that route if you have an in the near future flight to catch on the other side, like later that day, been there done that with a nice long trip to secondary to boot. It all worked out kind of but the point is, cool drive but slow as molasses in January.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2020 at 06:38 PM

Last year I had to drop someone off at the Mexicali airport. Took this route. It bypassed the entire city. Pretty rural.

And it was a very short drive to Mexicali East crossing from the airport.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2020 at 11:34 PM

These are directions I've recommended in the past and have had good feedback on them. The shortcut posted above works well, but if this is your first time crossing at San Luis and your destination is San Felipe, you might consider travelling a few extra miles with straight forward directions. This route also doesn't take you through busy Mexicali, rather it kicks you out at the south end of the city.

You will go through two toll booths, but they are relatively inexpensive.

Yuma to Mexicali and onto San Felipe directions:
At the San Luis Colorado crossing, turn right at the FIRST street after crossing. You're now on the toll road... Mex 2-D
Drive 49 KM/30 Miles, then take the San Felipe turnoff which crosses over Mex 2.
Drive another 11 KM/7 Miles, take the exit to San Felipe/Mexicali exit.
You have to travel north towards Mexicali a couple of hundred yards and make a U-Turn. You'll plainly see where others have done so.
You're now heading south on Mex 5 to San Felipe.

If you get your FMM at San Luis, you're better off to park on the USA side and walk across and get it. Parking is tough to find on the Mexico side. Go through US Customs back to your rig then drive across.

Pic 2.jpg - 204kB Pic 4.jpg - 246kB

[Edited on 8-16-2020 by KasloKid]
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2020 at 06:42 AM

I have driven all those suggestions and I gave up due to bad roads and very slow travel. Many times going thru the small villages one can encounter some kind of event that makes it even slower. These alternate routes are interesting and you will get to see a lot of farm lands and uncountable speed bumps.
It is hard to beat 2/2D 60 to 65 MPH all the way to hwy 5. This route is teh bypass of the city.
Pay a trivial toll as you leave San Luis and again when you exit 2D to get on Hwy5. Choose this route and you will never enter Mexicali and bypass the city to the south.
If you miss the ramp to get onto 2D the you will drive through the city and probably never make that mistake again. You are correct that driving thru the city is a real pain.

[Edited on 8-16-2020 by PaulW]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.