Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Anyone displaced or evacuated in California:
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-9-2020 at 06:01 PM
The power is back on in Nevada County!

In addition to the huge ongoing fires, two new ones have flared up north and south of where I am. They do not pose any threat to Grass Valley, but he high smoke clouds have caused some surreal lighting conditions.

Anybody reading this that needs to evacuate the new fires, I can provide a few rooms and a fair amount of parking space.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2020 at 08:30 PM

Somewhere near Rocky Mountain National Park, I'm at 9'000' where it's been triple digit for days with choking smoke from surrounding fires (CA, OR, CO, NM). Overnight it's in the 20's with a foot of snow on the ground. Sure is pretty. Beats the smoke.

Pescadero dreaming.:tumble:

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2020 at 03:10 PM

The folks offering the places to stay and assistance have been beyond kind. I am sorry to here about the fire near your place CAJ13, hopefully it misses you.

A lot of folks are getting hammered pretty bad right now. I have lived in Berry Creek for nigh on 5 years now and have been affected by the Oroville Dam crisis and the Camp fire along with another fire 4 years ago.

It looks like this one did it though. I was at work when the warning came in and by the time I left to go home it was blocked off. My sister left her place before me and raced up there and made it.

We were not concerned at the time since the fire was so far away. She throw a handful of my clothes in her car and then they proceed to get the horse trailer hooked up and started loading the horses.

We live 2 miles down a dirt road and when they went to restart the truck it would not start. They ended up unloading the horses and walking the horses out with the dogs and some stuff thrown in her car.

By the time they reached pavement the fire had spread to the east of Berry Creek. We requested help from animal rescue and they sent a trailer up and got the horses down to Oroville were some friends from Wheatland picked them up and took them to their place.

By 10pm we were at my sister's finding a place for everyone to sleep. At 3am we received evacuation order for my sister's place but we figured her place was safe so we stayed. Wednesday morning showed the fire a little ways from our place in Berry Creek and the wind had died down.

There was little movement on the line below our place and by Thursday afternoon it had barely moved. We found the live cam from Bloomer Hill around 4PM and it showed a massive amount of smoke from what looked like was the far side of our place.

While we could not see our place on the cam since it was a little over a mile way it still looked as if our place was safe at the time.
It was the FIRE LINE > then OUR PLACE > then BLOOMER HILL.

Thursday evening we were able to see the fire advance over our place and up Bloomer Hill and by 9PM the fire had burned over Bloomer Hill.

All indications are that we lost everything except the few things that we had in my sister car

For me it amounted to some clothes, some backpacking gear, a GPS and a my cameras.

Of course until they allow us to return we will not know for sure. It is hard to lose possessions like that but they can be replaced mostly.

What I am having hard time with are those irreplaceable items. My daughter said a few weeks back, 'Remember, Dad, if anything happens get the pictures.' We had lost her mother a few years back very suddenly and we all struggled with it. She was only 50 and was fine the day before.

The few real things my children had of their mom are the pictures and journals of our trips. We, as parents, took our kids on a lot of trips. Right now it is just a matter of waiting.

[Edited on 9-14-2020 by Fatboy]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2020 at 03:25 PM

Fatboy......Check your U2U!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2020 at 01:01 PM

so sorry to hear that Fatboy. I know first hand of your pain, as i watched on the internet as fire bombers bombed my home and a crew stationed themselves on the roof of my house and the perimeter to defend it.

We got incredibly lucky, betweem the aerial tankers and a VERY FORTUITOUS wind shift, our place was spared. it was threatened again 2 days later, not so close that time.

We were allowed back in yesterday afternoon (9 days we were gone) , such an emotional rollercoaster, to come around the corner and see your place safe, and the gratitude for those incredibly brave and skilled souls who, not knowing us from Adam, put their lives on the line to protect our home.

If You need a place, I'm back up - open for business, and do have a horse setup!
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2020 at 06:45 PM

Very sad, fatboy I sent you a u2u... Had a fire break out a mile from my house this morning, only thing that saved us was the neighbor had a dozer and cut a line before the trucks got there!
We too have a plan but hope to never use it!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2020 at 08:38 PM

Fatboy....I sent another U2U about possible help when you finally are allowed back on your property!

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2020 at 08:39 PM

Thanks everyone and it is good to see others are making it through.

As Caj13 said... The roller coaster has been brutal, it has burned through, it hasn't burned through, it definitely burned through and today the CalFire shows a fire line around the two dirt roads that have a total of 7 or 8 homes.

There is always hope yet today this fire is in the top 5 or 6 for size, for deaths and for damage. A lot of folks are going to be hurting on this one and my heart goes out to each and everyone.

As far as us we are doing good, we are at my sister's and doing well. Sunday was my 56th Birthday and to think that some very important items had burned was really hard. Writing about it made a huge difference.

As far as important stuff... I was with Debbie for 20 years and we have two children and while we had been separated for a few years our children where important to us.

Debbie passed away very suddenly with no warning a few years back. So all our pictures, the kids baby books, journals of our trips with our kids are very important to us and they are still at the house, for better or worse.
CasaMaximus
Banned

[*] posted on 9-17-2020 at 08:01 PM

I was evacuated at o'dark thirty a month ago when the LNU Complex fires came for a visit to Vacaville's North side. Tonight was the first time we were able to open the house to fresh air.
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2020 at 08:58 PM

Paging fatboy! any updates for us? we are pulling for ya!
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2020 at 01:13 PM

Nothing new .... just watching the news and all the fire pages and waiting.... and waiting...
the fire inspection teams have been around our area but not into the area... to me it means still fire fighting in that area or there are a lot of hazards such as downed power lines and trees ....
Butte county said they might release drone mapping footage today but nothing I can find yet
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2020 at 01:35 PM

Oh my, so sorry to hear of all this loss and chaos. My heart goes out to all of you.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2020 at 03:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Fatboy  
Nothing new .... just watching the news and all the fire pages and waiting.... and waiting...
the fire inspection teams have been around our area but not into the area... to me it means still fire fighting in that area or there are a lot of hazards such as downed power lines and trees ....
Butte county said they might release drone mapping footage today but nothing I can find yet

Yeah, been there done that. I suspect you have already found them, but i used the Caltopo website, and clicked on the fire coverage option on the right, I really like the VIIRS 375 M band, it shows the fire, particularly new detections (based on satellite IR images. only trouble is it updates only once or 2 times a day , based on satellite passes. great way to track the fire progress, the boundaries, and see where the fire is headed and picking up

I was also fascinated, and watched fire bombers protecting my house using "Flightradar24". It shows all the individual planes IDs them, shows their tracks etc, really a good way to get a sense of where the fire managers are most concerned. You can even click on 3D coverage and watch from a tail view looking forward as the plane flies over the map, by watching the speeds and elevations you can figure exactly when they drop!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2020 at 09:14 AM
The fires are flaring again!

The North complex fire, started by lightning over a month ago, jumped containment last night! Hopefully it can be brought under containment soon, but strong east winds are pushing it toward the town of Paradise again.

In addition to that, two new fires have started in the coast range, and from the morning news reports they appear to have burned over 18,000 acres! There is at least a month more of high fire danger ahead of us!

There are no fires burning near me right now, but our local airport is a fire retardant filling station, so even when it is not smokey here we are reminded of the danger around us.

BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2020 at 10:25 AM

On a related note
Did a fall test of my fire fighting system cuz the Santana winds will be here soon.
Its based on a generator and my swimming pool with 25K gals. of water.
My 2" hose and big pump shoots water nicely.
If any embers in the wind get blown up under the eaves, its all she wrote in my neighborhood.
I envision the rich folks up hill getting all the fire resources.

Sure glad we are not San Diego County, they have the least air resources in the state.

Es Todo Bueno
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.