BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: What's your next Baja trip? Where are you going and when?
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2020 at 12:07 PM

My wife and I like to go to Todos Santos for a week in February, just late enough to be sick of the New England winter. We would normally start making our arrangements around now, but the virus - both here in the U.S. and in BCS - is making us lean toward not going. For every struggling business begging for tourists to visit, there are others begging us to stay home and not test the fragile health system. As it is, even in the relative safety of Cape Cod, ill-advised parties and large gatherings have caused sporadic outbreaks. For that reason, apart from regular dog walks, we only leave the house when we have to go shopping, or order the occasional take-out from restaurants that are trying to stay afloat. As disappointing as it will be to us personally to not visit next year, we want to be sensitive to both the expat and local communities until it's safe to do so.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 8-23-2020 at 01:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
My wife and I like to go to Todos Santos for a week in February, just late enough to be sick of the New England winter. We would normally start making our arrangements around now, but the virus - both here in the U.S. and in BCS - is making us lean toward not going. For every struggling business begging for tourists to visit, there are others begging us to stay home and not test the fragile health system. As it is, even in the relative safety of Cape Cod, ill-advised parties and large gatherings have caused sporadic outbreaks. For that reason, apart from regular dog walks, we only leave the house when we have to go shopping, or order the occasional take-out from restaurants that are trying to stay afloat. As disappointing as it will be to us personally to not visit next year, we want to be sensitive to both the expat and local communities until it's safe to do so.

:yes:....gracias!

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
TedZark
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2020 at 02:04 PM

I can't speak for them, but what I hear from the local folks is that they want to work and have a job. Much of that depends on tourism. February is a long time from now.

As things reopen there are, yes, going to be new "outbreaks". Of course! The goal was to "flatten the curve".

Draw your own conclusions as I guess you have, but your virtue in not having the vacation you wanted to have, is quite possibly not helping anyone.

I know there are people who are going to be very nasty about my comments above, but I bet they all have plenty of regular income and are doing just fine. Notice also I have not and will not insult or call them names for their opinions (as they will to me). Do understand that when people start calling names and throwing out insults, it means they think they have lost the argument and have run out of cogent argument.

Life is good...
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2020 at 02:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  

X2

John
TedZark
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2020 at 02:05 PM

Life is good...
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2020 at 02:11 PM

Unless you have an underlying health issue, I would argue that you should go. Practice safe social distancing and you have little to fear for yourself or others. You will help ppl in need.

[Edited on 8-23-2020 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-23-2020 at 02:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Unless you have an underlying health issue, I would argue that you should go. Practice safe social distancing and you have little to fear. You will help ppl in need.

Jizz:
No one cares if You or another gringo gets sick.
Many locals don’t want asymptomatic gringos spreading the disease in communities that have no med facilities...
Some people may want the business from tourists, many other people wish you would just stay out of their community.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 8-23-2020 at 04:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TedZark  

Let's not make decisions based on opinion polls...

Maybe make decisions on international agreements regarding essential travel and not flock to another country based on person selfish desire to go on vacation. A lot of people just don't want you here right now. Not everything is about the dog almighty US dollar.

FYI, there is a new decontamination stop between the military check and San Felipe, for everybody. They get you out of your car, spray you down then spray the inside of your car.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 8-23-2020 at 06:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  

Let's not make decisions based on opinion polls...

Maybe make decisions on international agreements regarding essential travel and not flock to another country based on person selfish desire to go on vacation. A lot of people just don't want you here right now. Not everything is about the dog almighty US dollar.

FYI, there is a new decontamination stop between the military check and San Felipe, for everybody. They get you out of your car, spray you down then spray the inside of your car.

are you serious!:o

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2020 at 07:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  

X2

John

X3
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2020 at 04:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Quote:

San Ysidro border slow down

CBP Imposes New Measures to Curb Non-Essential Travel Across US-Mexico Border

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/cbp-imposes-new-measu...

"The agency said that in a recent survey, 60% of travel across the border was for non-essential reasons.

To reduce the spread of COVID-19 in the U.S., CBP said it is making adjustments to its operations at entry ports in Mexico to limit non-essential travel.

Affected ports of entry in Baja California include that of San Ysidro, Otay Mesa and Calexico, CBP said.

A prime example of the old saying, "a few rotten apples spoil the barrel" for the rest of us. Just another reason this crisis will continue indefinitely as long as a significant portion of US citizens ignore their civic duty to their nation and fellow citizens.

All WW2 vets must be spinning in their graves. RIP, dad!

Long Live the USSA!!!! Union of Selfish States of Amerika.

John

[Edited on 8-24-2020 by John Harper]
Skully
Junior Nomad

Mood: Bloody Mary

[*] posted on 8-24-2020 at 05:29 AM

Quote:

San Ysidro border slow down

CBP Imposes New Measures to Curb Non-Essential Travel Across US-Mexico Border

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/cbp-imposes-new-measu...

"The agency said that in a recent survey, 60% of travel across the border was for non-essential reasons.

To reduce the spread of COVID-19 in the U.S., CBP said it is making adjustments to its operations at entry ports in Mexico to limit non-essential travel.

Affected ports of entry in Baja California include that of San Ysidro, Otay Mesa and Calexico, CBP said.

The agency said that in ports of entry, secondary inspections will be conducted on those who are suspected of traveling for an unnecessary reason. During the secondary inspection, individuals will be given educational materials on the coronavirus issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It will be to raise awareness on the pandemic and to ensure travelers understand the risk of border crossing."

Are they scrutinizing the international travelers that are getting to their destinations by air travel or giving those people that attempt to book airline tickets a pop-up with the same "educational materials" when they click on the advertisement that says, "Come to Mexico! The beaches are open!" ?

I bet not.
Skully
Junior Nomad

Mood: Bloody Mary

[*] posted on 8-24-2020 at 05:48 AM

The article below is what the "Land crossing border slowdown" is all about. It has nothing to do with "limiting the spread of coronavirus" because by restricting the land borders they force more and more people onto crowded airplanes, thereby boosting the bottom line for airlines while at the same time placing everyone on those planes at a higher risk of infection than they would be if they were to travel in their own vehicles.

U.S. passenger airlines were allocated $25 billion in aid, mostly in grants, that would preserve sector jobs through Sept. 30, but carriers have told more than 70,000 workers that their jobs are at risk after that deadline passes.
Meanwhile, travel demand remains at a fraction of last year’s levels and financial losses at airlines are mounting. Executives say a demand recovery to 2019 levels could take years and that appetite for air travel will be limited barring a coronavirus vaccine.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/05/coronavirus-aid-package-senators-push-for-billions-more-in-airline-aid.html
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2020 at 02:24 PM

I can't speak for them, but what I hear from the local folks is that they want to work and have a job. Much of that depends on tourism. February is a long time from now.

As things reopen there are, yes, going to be new "outbreaks". Of course! The goal was to "flatten the curve".

Draw your own conclusions as I guess you have, but your virtue in not having the vacation you wanted to have, is quite possibly not helping anyone.

I know there are people who are going to be very nasty about my comments above, but I bet they all have plenty of regular income and are doing just fine. Notice also I have not and will not insult or call them names for their opinions (as they will to me). Do understand that when people start calling names and throwing out insults, it means they think they have lost the argument and have run out of cogent argument.

It occurred to me that we probably not visiting as planned might 1) hurt local businesses we would have undoubtedly visited, and 2) mean missing out on a perfectly safe and happy vacation. On the other hand, when my job went remote back on March 12, we thought it might be only for a few weeks. Today has been Day 165. We had to make a decision based on information we had today - not what we hope to be the case in February. Personally I hope we were overly cautious and that other visitors more than make up for our absence in a virus-free BCS come 2021.

In the meantime, we decided to buy some artwork from one of the artists we met during last year's Todos Santos Art Festival. And we joined a kickstarter for a Todos Santos restaurateur to put out a cookbook. Our goal is to spend at least some of what we might have spent during a visit to support local and expat businesses we want to see survive.

Will it replace the experience of being there? Not even close, but at least we're trying to stay connected in our own way.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-26-2020 at 05:31 AM

Why you should not travel to small towns with no medical facilities... why people don’t want visitors/tourists... Why you should stay home...

...the CDC says its current best estimate is that 40% of infections are asymptomatic and 50% of transmission occur before symptoms occur.

4 of 10 infected people do not know they are infected.

Stay the flock home! Do your part to stop the disease. Don’t be selfish, you can go on vacation later when your actions don’t pose risk of killing someone.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-26-2020 at 08:36 AM
Just read your own posts you blowhard

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Why you should not travel to small towns with no medical facilities... why people don’t want visitors/tourists... Why you should stay home...

...the CDC says its current best estimate is that 40% of infections are asymptomatic and 50% of transmission occur before symptoms occur.

4 of 10 infected people do not know they are infected.

Stay the flock home! Do your part to stop the disease. Don’t be selfish, you can go on vacation later when your actions don’t pose risk of killing someone.

You are the one that posted from AZ, NorCal and the Pacific NWest
When challenged you proclaimed.... OH NO< I'M SAFE
I"M THE SMARTEST MAN ON THE NOMAD BOARD

Poof to you and your empty words....
Surprised you did not work Mr. Trump into the blather
CasaMaximus
Banned

[*] posted on 9-21-2020 at 07:36 AM

SFO to SJD non-stop on October 11 and returning North on the 18. Celebrating 2 years of home ownership in Todos Santos. Meeting our new groundskeeper who we hired sight unseen on a recommendation from someone on the Baja Western Onion and meeting and hopefully hiring his wife as a housekeeper.

Aside from installing a long overdue door sweep on my front door to keep the outside outside I don't have anything to do to the house, maybe paint a deck rail. Other than that it will be the first time we have had the place to ourselves since we closed. Oh, it is tax time and time to pay our fideicomiso fees and taxes. Other than that we will be exploring the East Cape and snorkeling the Sea of Cortez.
EdZeranski
Nomad

Mood: Si! Como no???

[*] posted on 9-22-2020 at 08:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
JZ welcome anytime bring your dirt bikes.

Great woofie!!! All our dogs have a Baja 'pedigree'. Want to get back to Loreto and Mag Bay as soon as I figure what is going on.
EdZ
San Diego/Borrego Springs

[Edited on 9-23-2020 by BajaNomad]
eguillermo
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2020 at 07:23 PM
Informal roadblocks a real thing?

I'd still love to make a trip this winter, but there are questions for sure. Mr. mtgoat has a point: that there might be suspicion and mild hostility from local people who would prefer to do anything to stop the spread of the virus.

Has anyone seen first-hand the kind of roadblock activity mentioned in this article?

"however, we understand that tourists may be turned away and that several towns near the US land border have set-up road blocks to demand ID from people arriving; people are being turned back at these road blocks if they cannot prove they live locally."

Article
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2020 at 07:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by eguillermo  

Informal roadblocks a real thing?

I'd still love to make a trip this winter, but there are questions for sure. Mr. mtgoat has a point: that there might be suspicion and mild hostility from local people who would prefer to do anything to stop the spread of the virus.

Has anyone seen first-hand the kind of roadblock activity mentioned in this article?

"however, we understand that tourists may be turned away and that several towns near the US land border have set-up road blocks to demand ID from people arriving; people are being turned back at these road blocks if they cannot prove they live locally."

Article

You are good to go. That ended back in June/July. Go and have fun. Support the local economies of Baja. Practice safe procedures just like you would at home.

[Edited on 9-25-2020 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.