BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: propane refill
Trout

[*] posted on 8-26-2020 at 11:49 AM
propane refill

Is there a place near Los Barriles or La Ribera to have a 20lbs propane tank refilled? Thanks.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2020 at 11:53 AM

I'm sure there is, don't know the exact location but propane is used all over baja. Just ask someone in town.

[Edited on 8-26-2020 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2020 at 12:16 PM

Looks like Caligas has locations in La Paz, San Jose and Cabo.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2020 at 12:20 PM

Call the gas truck, or flag them down when they drive by honking, and give them your tank, they will return to same location the next day with it full.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-26-2020 at 12:24 PM

The trucks that deliver propane to homes and businesses with installed propane tanks also carry any adapters needed to fill loose, or RV tanks.

If you see one, ask them to fill yours. Maybe check around to see if they have a set schedule.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2020 at 02:30 PM

There is or used to be a CaliGas depot at KM 51.5 on the West side of the highway (on the right travelling South to San Jose del Cabo). If you're travelling North, then it's about 8 KM past the airport turnoff.
Trout

[*] posted on 8-26-2020 at 02:36 PM

Thanks all for the responses.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2020 at 06:23 PM

Caligas plant still operates at location as described as of January 2020.

A Gaspasa truck has a regular route through Los Barriles. Arrival is announced with a merry jingle and “EL GAS” blaring via loud speaker through the town. Once the driver knows your order and cash payment is arranged, you can leave a tank for pick up and and it will be returned to your place in a day or two.

It may be that it is actually butane in Mexico, so this web article may be of interest to you if you plan returning to a cold climate and using the tank:

https://www.rversonline.org/ArtMexPropane.html

Cheerio,
W

[Edited on 8-27-2020 by windgrrl]

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-26-2020 at 06:56 PM
Thanks windgrrl

I learned something about butane, thanks for posting that! I wonder if that information was about mainland Mexico, or if it applies to Baja?

Maybe this would be a good thread to remind people that propane is subject to expansion and contraction with temperature changes.

Anchorage had been at, or below zero for over a week before I had two propane bottles filled from an above ground tank to take up to a ski area work site.

Overnight, a warm front swept into Cook Inlet, and the temperature rose over forty degrees. When I opened the door to my Suburban the next morning, both tanks were spewing propane from the pressure relief valve!

Thank God there was no spark! I left the door open and stepped way back and waited for the gas to dissipate. I know that was an uncommon situation, but it is something to be aware of.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-26-2020 at 08:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Trout  
Is there a place near Los Barriles or La Ribera to have a 20lbs propane tank refilled? Thanks.

===
Open Google maps on your phone and type "propane". The result is driving directions to various places near where you are at.

Usually they will just exchange the empty for a full just like they do in the states.
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2020 at 11:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Quote: Originally posted by Trout  

===
Open Google maps on your phone and type "propane". The result is driving directions to various places near where you are at.

Usually they will just exchange the empty for a full just like they do in the states.

All these years I've been using Google Earth and have never used the Search function. Thanks!!!
For propane depots in Baja, I typed: propane San Jose del Cabo Baja Mexico and bingo!!

[Edited on 8-27-2020 by KasloKid]
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-27-2020 at 06:07 AM

Google maps is constantly being updated- at least weekly. It is great to find all kinds of places. Like out in a rural environment type gas and up comes the gas stations where you are at. Or type food and it gives you different food choices to choose from. Works great when in an unfamiliar place. Or type mechanic or auto repair and get a map of the ones near you.
Or do like I did from my home in Colorado and search for propane then use your finger to move the map to Cabo and click and get all the propane places near Cabo.
Anyway you can select any of the icons and get driving instructions to that place.
Trout

[*] posted on 8-27-2020 at 07:34 AM

Thanks for all the great suggestions/advice.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.