Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Tutoring Tidiana and Abraham's kids 12/17 update/payday
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2020 at 10:18 AM
Tutoring Tidiana and Abraham's kids 12/17 update/payday

Well, yesterday Tidiana and Abraham stopped by. They needed money to buy schoolbooks but they also told me that since Tidiana cannot read and write, and since Abraham never even finished elementary school, they were not able to help their kids during this pandemic with online classes. Which in La Bocana means the teachers are sending the pages of work to be done via whatsapp to each parent.

I put my thinking cap on and contacted senior high school students (who were all my students in middle school) to see if they could spend an hour with each kid - one on one - every day to make sure they were understanding the material. We will agree on payment after a couple sessions.

The first one to respond was Jesus who is brother to Julian whom we sponsored in college and who is now working full time in La Paz. Jesus is bright and I thought he would be perfect for the challenge.!

I gave him Jireth Diana (notice I had been spelling her name Jired but it is Jireth) to tutor and they met up this morning. Jireth's teacher told me that she has a learning disability...Jesus is really smart but also really patient, a perfect combination for her!

Photo of Jireth Diana at Jesus's house at 8 am today.

Here she is at my house afterwards telling me that she loved her class! I have told the kids that if their student teachers give me an A for their participation, I have a big surprise for them next week. We have a nice big plastic pool that they are going to love!

Danna was the second high school student to respond to me and this is 2nd grader Isaac at her house this morning.

The third high schooler to jump on board was Hector. He is beyond bright - like rocket scientist bright and I had 1st grader Ismael go to him today for tutoring.

Which leaves 4th grader Manuel who I paired up with my neighbor's daughter Sannia, but she is out of town for 2 weeks. He said he had already done his assignment so I asked him to bring it over....I am not happy with it so I have asked Ivanna - another neighbor's kid, to meet up with him today. Still waiting to hear what time.

All in all, a really good day and it was really challenging to get high schoolers on board, stagger the times so that Tidiana could drop off the kids on time and wait for today to hear how it all went.

I am very happy!!

[Edited on 12-12-2020 by BajaBlanca]

[Edited on 12-18-2020 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2020 at 06:35 PM

Today's classes.

Isaac - 2nd grader studies with Danna.

This is a photo of Danna.

Ismael - !st grader studies with Hector.

This is a photo of Hector.

Jireth - 3rd grader studies with Jesus.

A photo of Jesus.

I have not gotten Manuel's photos yet. This is Ivanna, his teacher.

So, we have agreed that the kids will study Mon thru Thursday and do reading and hand in the worksheets to the school on Fridays.

My student teachers are really enjoying being tutors and each has come up with activities that we will include...Danna suggested doing some PE and I loved that idea. She sent me a video of Isaac jumping. Ivanna suggested reading and at the end of every day I will have them do some reading and the whole class on Friday will be reading as well as them taking home literature for the weekends. Hector thinks it might be a good idea to take all the kids to the beach one day. I think he swims so maybe he can teach them how to swim.

The best part is that the little ones are loving their classes - boy - nothing makes me smile bigger!

They all brought me their worksheets before they handed them in, they are really doing a good job. Listen to this: the first day that Isaac, the 2nd grader came over (Wed before they started class Thursday) , I looked at his papers which he said were ready to be turned in and noticed the lack of capital letter at the front of the sentence and no period at the end. So, I said, this is what I see and you need to redo these with a student teacher. Jump forward to today and as I am looking over his pages he says " I now know that I need capitals in front, commas in between and a period at the end!" OMGosh!!!! Bingo!

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2020 at 06:43 PM

Here is Manuel, reading away! Ivanna went to the library and got 3 books for him to read today.

Those of you who have been to our hotel will notice that this is the back garden! Ivanna has a mean dog so she will do these classes for the time being and then we have to change teachers....Sannia will take over. She is out of town right now.

Come visit La Bocana

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2020 at 07:06 PM

Very cool, that was a big task! Awesome team work and good to see your old students paying it back. Makes me glad to help out when it's needed.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2020 at 07:15 PM

Ditto to that.
mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2020 at 07:34 PM

Good for you. What you do is awesome.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2020 at 04:05 AM

Hi everyone!

It really was a big task to get everyone dialed in. I am thrilled that it worked out. Tidiana has to do a lot of dropping off and picking up but all Moms do that!

These student teachers are seniors in high school. All of them were my students when I was teaching middle school. I have enjoyed reconnecting with them. Ivanna is the only one who I believe decided not to go to college. She is happy to have an activity to occupy her mind. It seems she is benefitting as much as Manuel. The universe works in mysterious ways.

Come visit La Bocana

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2020 at 07:30 AM

The desire to read is a priceless gift - particularly for a child. And as you can probably attest, teaching a child to read might be an even greater reward.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2020 at 11:07 AM

I got a copy of the 4th grade material last night and my eyes went crosseyed trying to decipher it. I am a teacher but have concentrated my years on teenagers and adults, so I take MY HAT OFF to elementary school teachers. WOW, so much to teach at that age.

My student teachers are all busy this morning! Here are the 3 photos I have gotten so far.

Ivanna and Manuel

Danna and Isaac

Jesus and Jireth Diana

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2020 at 10:55 AM

Last Thursday was the one week marker for the student teaching and as promised, I had a surprise gift ready for the hard working students.

The deal was, if their student teacher gave them an A for effort for the first week, then they would get the surprise. I did not forewarn the teachers but all of them said their students deserved an A!

Here are the brownies I made for them to share.

Here is the pool they got as a reward and I hear they use it all day long now!

After asking around town, I found out that the going rate for tutoring is $100 pesos a class. Originally, I thought the student teachers would spend about one hour with each child. Dream on, Blanca! They are spending 2 almost 3 hours per class so they definitely deserve the $100. What I did ask is that they do class 4 times a week and take Fridays off.

I put together little decorated envolopes for each student teacher.

Here is the group and we agreed that we will not meet again as a group due to the danger of spreading the virus but I am so happy that we did get together this one time.

So, a little while later I am on the front porch talking with my air force son who is stationed in Germany and two younguns come for a visit. I don't even remember the last time I had visitors! We sat and talked, one is a local child and the other is from Punta Prieta. When I asked how they had met, one looked at the other and said We are BEST FRIENDS. We have been best friends since we were little.

Ahhhhhh, aren't best friends the best thing in the world?

Here they are with frisbees I gave them.

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2020 at 05:52 AM

The classes are going on and the students are blossoming. It is so rewarding to see their progress day by day. Each student teacher is in direct contact with the elementary school teacher.

I am not sure how long this will go on with the crazy Virus and kids not being able to go to school, I was wondering if 4 of you might be interested in "adopting" Tidiana's kids' education? I pay the student teachers every Thursday so for this week it will be $20 each one.

STUDENT 1 ISMAEL 1ST GRADE is being taught by Aymara
STUDENT 2 ISAAC 2ND GRADE is being taught by Danna
STUDENT 3 JIRETH DIANA 3RD GRADE is being taught by Jesus
STUDENT 4 MANUEL 4TH GRADE is being taught by Ivanna

I have actually added another student who is being brought up by his grandmother. She says her daughter simply dropped him off to her with all his clothes when he was 1, but that she loves him to no end. He is in 5th grade. His name is Alejandro and according to Sannia, the student teacher working with him, he is super smart and in 3 days she was able to get him caught up. The school principal told me that she thinks the family can pay so I will visit them today. Stay tuned!

Jesus is teaching Jireth how to read. He is a natural born teacher - he made individual letter cards with a pic on each one to help trigger her memory. Jireth has a learning disability and Jesus is the absolute embodiment of patience. What a Godsend he is!

A arbole tree
B barco boat ...

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2020 at 10:44 AM

ISAAC has a sponsor! Bendiciones as they say here. Great is God.

Come visit La Bocana

windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2020 at 11:37 AM

Hi, Blanca,

Please check your U2U.
:dudette:

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2020 at 08:50 PM

Wowza (as my granddaughter says) !!!

Jireth now has a sponsor too!

Here is a pic of Ismael, who has a new teacher, Aymara. Hector did not think he could student teach and keep up his grades in high school - Aymara is taking a break from college. Perfect fit.

Check out Ismael's little tongue!!! Oh my gosh, could he be any cuter? Also, notice the notebook and pencils and crayons we gave him.

Thanks windgrrl

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2020 at 07:41 PM

Last week on Thursday (payday for the student teachers), I saw Alejandro and his grandmother returning home after his tutoring.

He is the kid whose Mom dropped him off to grandma (pictured) at age 1 along with all his clothes and diapers. Grandma Chencha loves him with all her heart and came over a week ago to say there was no one to help him with his studies.

I have paired him up with our neighbor, Sannia, who is one of my best friend's daughter. Sannia has been dealing with depression for about a year...I think this might give her a reason to get up in the mornings.

So far, she seems thrilled with the whole process. She says Alejandro is very smart. He told me he enjoys her class and is learning a lot. He is a 5th grader. Preparing for the classes is no piece of cake but Sannia is a smart cookie/

win win!

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2020 at 04:33 PM

This is the first photo we have of Ivanna's sister Aymara and her student Ismael. If you have been to our hotel, you will recognize the picnic table that is under our back palapa.

Great news: I have found her sponsor for October!

The only one missing is Ivanna because I think the members of Sannia's student, Alejandro, can come up with the cost of the tutoring.

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2020 at 05:41 PM

We have a third sponsor! So, Aymara and Ismael are covered for October.

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2020 at 01:02 PM

PAYDAY!!!

Easy to find Aymara and sister Ivanna since they are behind the hotel.
Great to have an assistant who can take the photos (aka Mom)!

Aymara

Ivanna

Sannia

Jesus

Danna

Payday is the most fun day of all! Thanks everyone for your super support!

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2020 at 02:49 AM

I didn't know that! I will let her know. It is such a pretty name.

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2020 at 09:13 PM

It was so busy today with the tutoring class behind our hotel! Aymara with Ismael, Ivanna with Manuel, two little ones hanging out so that Tidiana could help me clean the hotel (that covers her gas for shuttling the kids back and forth) and Jireth was there too since her student teacher Jesus had a final himself today.

Great news! My friend and longtime college scholarship sponsor (on his second student!!) pitched in to Tidiana's kids' tutoring fund. A one time investment so whohoooooooooo I have every child covered for 2 weeks and 3 of them covered all of October and one even partial Nov.

We all met up for margaritas by chance 2 days ago at the beach restaurant.

and today we put together a meal for them. Les made fish a la Veracruz (with veggies), a Mexican salsa, beans. I made rice and homemade applesauce for dessert and Mom made a fruit salad.

All in all, a great day!

Come visit La Bocana

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.