Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Tutoring Tidiana and Abraham's kids 12/17 update/payday
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2020 at 08:35 PM

Today was PayDay! The best day of the week for me, and surely for the student teachers as well.

Danna

Jesus

Sannia

Ivanna and Aymara

Pictures of the kids over the week. The teachers have to send me a pic every day so I know that the sts showed up.

So, someone mentioned to me that sometimes the students seem to be too close to the book or paper - The kids told us that they had had their eyes tested at school and all was OK!

Thanks so much amigos! Our students are way ahead of the game this year. God works in mysterious ways because this is way better than being bullied. Or being one in a class of over 30!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2020 at 05:28 PM

Great point! Going to leave cushions tomorrow. The table is too high!

Thanks thanks thanks for bringing my attention to that!

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-12-2020 at 10:46 PM

Young children often seem to put their faces quite close to their work. I think it has more to do with them being intent and focused on what they're doing than there being anything wrong with their vision.

But I once read a book on vision which was fascinating. A regular eye exam doesn't test for many vision problems, only if you are near or far sighted or have astigmatism. But there are other vision problems which affect learning. One is called tracking- the ability of your eyes to travel across a page smoothly to read easily (and it's what is also important in sports, to follow the trajectory of the ball, or by animals or hunters in following the movement of prey). Some kids who are labelled as having learning disabilities have this vision problem. My friend's daughter had a hard time reading- she said the words jumped around on the page. So when she read, she would just focus on one word at a time, so her reading was very slow and stilted, although she was quite bright.

If you're playing with a kitten and piece of string, the kitten will keep trying to catch the string as long as you move it back and forth, side to side. But if you start moving it up and down, the kitten will quickly lose interest. This is because most mammalian carnivores' eyes track horizontally, because that is how their prey moves. They can't really track vertically. And it's why the advice if you are ever faced with a big cat, like a cougar, when out in the wild, is to raise your arms up straight and jump up and down- you hopefully cease to look like something they would consider to be prey.

That book also explained what causes astigmatism, which is a misshaping of the cornea. It can be caused by forcing your eyes to look at something not straight in front of you for long periods of time, like lying on your stomach with your chin propped in your hands with your book on the bed or couch and reading like that.

[Edited on 10-13-2020 by surabi]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2020 at 04:41 AM

Your last paragraph would surely explain my astigmatism.

Really interesting information.

When I was in first grade, we got tested for vision. I got glasses and says my Mom that as soon as we got outside I said "Look at all the leaves on the tree!" I guess it had been a big blur before that.

That being said, I am a super fast reader. My high school classmates used to watch me read and were incredulous. They would ask comprehension questions to see if I had really read the passage in such a short time.

Come visit La Bocana

surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-13-2020 at 10:12 PM

Yeah, I was a kid who always had my nose buried in a book and I'm astigmatic as well. They put glasses on me when I was 10.

Too late for us, but if you see your kids reading like that, get them to prop the book up in front of them, so they're looking straight on at the page.
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2020 at 07:19 AM

Ten thumbs up surabi for that input!!

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2020 at 05:03 PM

And so the world turns. I got a call from Ramiro, the architecture student in La Paz, saying that he was getting headaches, went to get his eyes checked and needed glasses.

I sent him $980 and the arrive in 10 days.

He was diagnosed with astigmatism too!

Here is a photo of us in 2019

He will send a shot wearing his new glasses when he gets them!!

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2020 at 01:12 PM

October 15th update

The students are doing well!

The student teachers are doing well too!

Aymara getting her pay.

A cutie studying away! Notice that all the kids' postures have improved. This one is on 2 pillows and boy, what a difference.

Ivanna getting paid.

The board today - learning how to read!

Teacher Hayzooz getting paid. (Jesus)

Sannia as happy as can be!

and lastly Teacher Danna!

How much you all want to bet these kids go on to be teachers? They are loving the experience.

Thanks all for supporting this project.

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2020 at 09:03 PM

Sharing the kids in class today!

Isaac

Jireth looking so pretty! Jesus has been working on her self esteem and I told Tidiana to make sure the kids were wearing clean clothes without rips.

Ismael

and Manuel!

Missing is Alejandro, his student teacher's internet has not been working so well.

I am very happy with the boys' postures! Straight backs are the name of the day.

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2020 at 08:58 PM

This week was so busy that I had the student teachers come up to the house and collect their money!

It waited for them under the BOO sign.

Here is Alejandro studying away. His tutor Sannia says he is very bright and she loves teaching him all the 5th grade subjects. Not Tidiana's kid but Chencha's grandson.

We have our regular weather back, as is the norm, on the cooler side. Parents immediately wrap kids up just like Eskimo's and Tidiana is no exception LOL

Here is Isaac, is he the CUTEST or what!

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2020 at 08:03 PM

No talk yet of going back to physical classroom. What a year, what a year.

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2020 at 09:38 PM

Payday!!!!

Visited our cat's kitten named TROUBLE between one tutor and the others.

All the students are doing well according to the student teachers. I am going to ask their public school teachers to give us a report on each one. Stay tuned.

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2020 at 10:20 PM

I talked to the director and asked her to get me the kids; GPAs.

Had a shock, not a good one either.

First the good news: Four of the five students, 2nd 3rd 4th 5th graders all have a B average. This is so great

The bad news is that Aymara's student, the 1st grader had not turned in any work for 2 weeks. I am floored and he is flunking this moment.

I fired Aymara and paid her for last week today...I think there is something wrong with her. She never said anything, but this is the oddest behaviour ever. She could not give me a good reason for Ismael's not turning in his work. Her sister Ivanna's student has a B average. Both teach (taught) behind the hotel. She sent me a photo of her student studying every day.

Good news is that I found 2 other student teachers to take over - one is in her last semester and is in the college scholarship project - they have taken over as of today. They already met with the kid's real teacher and are getting a jump on his work. They agree that Ismael is really smart. They will teach this weekend to make up time/work.

Boy, thank goodness I asked the principal to get me the average.

Ismael is one of the happiest student's, I made sure the new student teachers understood that his low GPA was surely NOT his fault. After I have digested Aymara's actions, I might sit down and have a talk with her. She was my student in high school eons ago...like I say, something in her behaviour is really off.

I feel sad but mostly, I feel duped and frustrated and angry and sure wish I had known sooner.

Today was payday and I have some nice photos. A friend made me champurrado and I shared with the kids.

Pics when our internet gets better, it is very slow today.

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2020 at 08:44 PM

Update soon! Everything is looking great and real progress being made.

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2020 at 09:17 PM

Life happened and we got soooooooo busy! The kids have been studying so much, the student teachers are happy and at the end of the month we should be getting their report cards.

I get updates and photos every day, these are the most recent photos of Tidiana's kids.

And this is Alejandro

Today was payday.

Here is Sannia

Here is Danna! As you can see, Tidiana did the rounds to pay everyone today!!

Here is Elizabeth. Missing is Jesus who came to the house to get his cash and I forgot to take his photo. He comes again tomorrow, lets hope I remember. Alondra is traveling, Elizabeth's brother helped Ismael this past week since he is in the same class. I like this idea a lot and will see if we can get them involved in other activities as friends.

And that is the report for the week! Les's daughter and husband were here for 10 days and we were so busy having fun with them. Cooked and went to Loreto, Santa Rosalia, San Ignacio, Campo Rene (closed but we went anyways) and Punta Abreojos. Whew!!!

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2020 at 05:25 PM

Tahdahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh REPORT CARDS!

I do not have the old report cards to compare but I am so happy that these kiddoes really did well!

Add a zero to the number to get our equivalent % in the U.S.

Here are Alejandro's grades

Emanuel's grades

Isaac's grades

and Jireth's. At 9, she is just learning how to recognize letters. She has a learning disability, so I am pretty impressed!

Ismael's teacher gave him horrible grades because his work was handed in so late due to the lack of help from Aymara. Hector, his very first teacher and Elizabeth, this current one, both say he is super smart and the hardest worker they have seen. I take their word for it and told him I am very, very proud of all his effort.

And I am.

The principal told me that next trimester his grades will reflect his new reality. He is 6 years old, I think we can move on! I think we can safely say that he loves the arts.

I never got the report card per se, but here is the message the school principal sent with his grades:

All that being said, I told the students and tutors that we will have a safe gathering behind the hotel next Friday at noon.

I have commissioned 3 pinatas, one for the kids, one for Tidiana and one for Abraham. Both told me they NEVER had a birthday party in their lives.

Each child will get $100 pesos for themselves.

Bajanomad L. will donate bonus cash for the tutors!

I have asked the tutors to get their friends and neighbors and family to donate children's clothes and shoes, the elementary school principal will also ask for donations.

I will make a cake and will see what else I can cook up.

Just want to add this photo of Tidiana, it is one of my favorites.

Here are some of the student photos - every day the tutors send one of their kiddo studying.

Alejandro

On this day, Ismael came over to show me what he had learned the past week. In the first photo, he had drawn a map of Mexico, mainland and Baja. I asked him to show me where we lived and he went right to the spot!

In this second picture he had drawn, he had two menu's with junk food on one side and healthy food on the other. I asked him to explain and he clearly said: If you eat junk food, you get no vitamins and gain weight. Smart cookie!

The main objective is for the kids to enjoy learning, and that they are! I also find it interesting that all of them love the arts.

Are they too young for me to ask about future jobs they might want HAHAHAHA

[Edited on 12-6-2020 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 12-5-2020 at 05:35 PM

This is so inspiring- thank you for doing this and sharing the results!

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2020 at 10:17 AM

X2
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2020 at 10:54 AM

Thanks for the wonderful update, Blanca and congratulations to all for the hard work and great results!

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2020 at 03:47 PM

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Come visit La Bocana

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.