BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Baja crime concerns during Covid 19?
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2020 at 10:43 AM
Baja crime concerns during Covid 19?

As an additional side note...
There are quite a few racers withdrawing from the upcoming 500 due to security concerns.
There are crews resisting attendance and hints of personal body guards being provided by some race entrants.

I'm not involved and can only report what I am hearing from some who are fearful of speaking out.

They do read the information such as this thread floating around the internet and watching others withdraw from the race.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2020 at 02:08 PM

Horrible.

All that is going on is truly depressing and frightening.

Violence everywhere.

[Edited on 9-4-2020 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2020 at 04:04 PM

So sad. Mexico was always a place where you could be robbed...but now they slit your throat or worse, beat you to death.
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2020 at 10:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
There are quite a few racers withdrawing from the upcoming 500 due to security concerns.
There are crews resisting attendance and hints of personal body guards being provided by some race entrants.

I'm not involved and can only report what I am hearing from some who are fearful of speaking out.

They do read the information such as this thread floating around the internet and watching others withdraw from the race.

this is bullshi$..... Most race teams travel in packs of 4 or more. Most crimes against americans are crimes of opportunity. sure theres some fools out there at 3am that shouldnt be...but teams avoiding san felipe for "securitry concerns"... you dont have any idea what your talking about.... nor have you heard from any "teams" regarding security concerns.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-4-2020 at 10:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by honda tom  

you dont have any idea what your talking about.... nor have you heard from any "teams" regarding security concerns.

how does Honda guy know what paranoid guy heard?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2020 at 04:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by honda tom  

this is bullshi$..... Most race teams travel in packs of 4 or more. Most crimes against americans are crimes of opportunity. sure theres some fools out there at 3am that shouldnt be...but teams avoiding san felipe for "securitry concerns"... you dont have any idea what your talking about.... nor have you heard from any "teams" regarding security concerns.

Take it for what you want. Don't stand on your own misunderstanding.
What do you know of my position? I am intimately close to well qualified members from whom I gleaned my information. Three teams are where those who passed on their concerns come from. Two north of the border, one south of the border.
They all know I am well versed on travel south of the border (about 150,000 miles from '72 to present day in every country north of Panama) and relayed their concerns to me.
You can be a fool and cast aside what others say, but don't be an idiot and declare others to be something you don't know anything about.
Get in a pit crew for the truth.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 9-5-2020 at 10:08 AM
The Times They are Are a-Changin

Although the odds of an Encounter of the Worst Kind are remote, the danger has always been there. Back in the '80s, I discontinued my (then common) habit of traveling south to San Felipe and beyond in the late night/early a.m. after there were a rash of incidents in which robbers set up highway roadblocks in the area around Laguna Salada. I'm unaware of any encounters that resulted in other than property loss, but the potential is always there and (unlike the U.S.) little (no ?) effective defense is possible.

As noted, the level of desperation potentially leading to acts of violence is far greater today and the best (only ?) defense is to avoid putting oneself in a vulnerable situation. That or rely on luck.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2020 at 10:15 AM

Are people living in Baja seeing an up tick in crime in general because of the covid closers? Desperate people do desperate things but I don't know if that was the case or not. I'm just wondering if it's wise to stay away for a time ( even after things open up) or was this an isolated event?
I love Baja but also don't want to get myself and wife in a bad situation by not paying attention to what is going on. We usually travel alone and go to some remote places. I've never camped on the Pacific North of El Rosario only South, mainly because I never felt I was able to get far enough away from people.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2020 at 10:19 AM

Nothing unusual here in La Bocana but if you remember, when this whole virus nightmare started, I wondered if crime would rise in general.

Good question so those of you who live north and south...what say thee?

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-6-2020 at 11:29 AM

I have not seen change in north baja. As far as camping remote area I always .Say no to that all the Ca plated trucks on beach today. Are all in large groups with a few always in camp as other fish. boat ride motos.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2020 at 11:42 AM
Does it seem like crime is worse now with the pandemic?

In La Bocana, nothing has changed. I really was afraid it would but I forget how neighbors take care of each other here!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2020 at 11:58 AM

Saw a news report about violent crime increasing considerably in many US cities. Crime in addition to the destructive protests in the cities on the TV news.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2020 at 12:27 PM

When you have a lot of people out of work and not in school with not a lot to do then I think crime does go up. Once the virus is under control and people get back to work and kids are back in school I think things will settle down. I also think this is when you find out about the true character of people good and bad.
mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2020 at 12:35 PM

There have been very few reports of problems in the San Felipe area that I'm aware of. Usually summer is a prime time for burglaries with most part time gringos off to cooler climates.

I keep expecting things to get worse if the MX economy continues to deteriorate. Hope I'm wrong.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Threads Merged
9-6-2020 at 12:49 PM
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2020 at 03:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by mjs  
I keep expecting things to get worse if the MX economy continues to deteriorate. Hope I'm wrong.

I hope the same, but assume the worst.

In my opinion it's a tremendous credit to Mexican character that there has not been more crime against tourists and expats even pre-COVID.

It's hard for many travelers to comprehend how huge a wealth gap there is between the Mexican laboring class and those of us who not only can afford all the flashy toys they see us with, but have the incredible luxury of not working for extended periods to travel, without worrying about our family going hungry.

Effectively, most Gringos seen in Mexico are "wealthy" beyond many locals' dreams, and the COVID crisis is simply exacerbating that gap.

About a decade or more ago I picked my father and step mom up at Cabo airport and we had lunch at Palmilla. Then we drove to TS area and on the way ended up on a road that went near the barrio that was mostly in an arroyo where many of the hotel resort workers live and it was depressingly sad. It was not long after that a hurricane came thru and wiped things out. Sad again.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-7-2020 at 11:05 AM

there is very little crime here in BAhia Asuncion and certainly has not increased during the pandemic....probably less petty crime as there was a curfew of 10:00 and the policia were patrolling more.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2020 at 04:06 PM

But the stay in your basement crowd, screw the economy, says there are no pitfalls to that strategy..

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2020 at 04:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
But the stay in your basement crowd, screw the economy, says there are no pitfalls to that strategy..

But the open it up crowd, screw public health, says there are no pitfalls to that strategy..

-----------

It's a balancing act. Both sides of the argument are correct.

CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2020 at 04:24 PM

As usual, different area of Baja may have different experiences.

In Cabo, those that 'have' embrace those that do not. It's a wonderful part of the culture we are humbled to be a part of.

Our crews regularly check up on, and see to it that families in the neediest of areas (barrios) have necessities.

No reports of crime but that's not to say there isn't any.

Cabo residents (locals/ex-pats/tourist/visitors) are following strict protocol.

Our thoughts and prayers to everyone, and especially to all in harms way in fire-ravaged areas.

~Lori

RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2020 at 06:13 PM

I just spent a few days at Rancho El Coyote Meling and at Mision Santa Maria Hotel and I didn't see anything unusual nor did I feel I was ever in danger.

There may be problems, but I didn't see any and I felt perfectly comfortable during all my time there - also at Jardins and at Molino Viejo. Cielito Lindo also seemed okay.

Don't get on my chit, I'm just telling you the situation I saw when I was physically present there. I've lived abroad in a variety of countries for 30+ years and do have some sense of what's going on.

There are those here who enjoy wetting their pants over circumstances, but the fact is, it's hard to know what's really going on. But you didn't/don't really know "back home" either. The press is a joke.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.