BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Baja crime concerns during Covid 19?
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2020 at 06:24 PM

Rocket, good info, first hand, good to know. Any Covid check points out? Are most places requiring a mask or is it business as usual?
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2020 at 07:26 PM

No checkpoints/filters that I saw. Mision Santa Maria appropriately requiring a mask. Lots of people there. Jardin's was well masked up and clearly paying attention.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-7-2020 at 07:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RocketJSquirrel  
I just spent a few days at Rancho El Coyote Meling and at Mision Santa Maria Hotel and I didn't see anything unusual nor did I feel I was ever in danger.

There may be problems, but I didn't see any and I felt perfectly comfortable during all my time there - also at Jardins and at Molino Viejo. Cielito Lindo also seemed okay.

Don't get on my chit, I'm just telling you the situation I saw when I was physically present there. I've lived abroad in a variety of countries for 30+ years and do have some sense of what's going on.

There are those here who enjoy wetting their pants over circumstances, but the fact is, it's hard to know what's really going on. But you didn't/don't really know "back home" either. The press is a joke.

One truism in Mexico: you can be robbed, kidnapped ANYWHERE. Probability is low, but there are criminals all over Mexico, and most travelers are ignorant of local risks.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2020 at 09:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

But the open it up crowd, screw public health, says there are no pitfalls to that strategy..

-----------

It's a balancing act. Both sides of the argument are correct.

It's not dangerous to travel anywhere if you take the proper precautions. That's the difference between reasonable and all these lock down weirdo's.

[Edited on 9-8-2020 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2020 at 04:47 AM

Jizz. Dangerous and precaution in the same sentence do not make sense.
Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

But the open it up crowd, screw public health, says there are no pitfalls to that strategy..

-----------

It's not dangerous to travel anywhere if you take the proper precautions. That's the difference between reasonable and all these lock down weirdo's.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2020 at 05:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by CaboMagic  
As usual, different area of Baja may have different experiences.

In Cabo, those that 'have' embrace those that do not. It's a wonderful part of the culture we are humbled to be a part of.

Our crews regularly check up on, and see to it that families in the neediest of areas (barrios) have necessities.

No reports of crime but that's not to say there isn't any.

~Lori

Meanwhile, at the southern end of the Baja Peninsula, the Baja California Sur state prosecutor’s office said the body of 65-year-old Craig Harrison was found on the beach in Cabo Pulmo Saturday evening. An autopsy determined that he had been stabbed in the chest before ending up in the ocean.

Harrison, a citizen of South Africa and Canada who settled in Mexico, had been missing since Aug. 29. According to his real estate website, Harrison settled in Cabo San Lucas in 1997 after working as an accountant and a wine importer in Canada.

He ran a vacation rental business in Cabo.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/us-couple-fou...

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2020 at 05:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

-----------

Jizz;
What if you are contagious and asymptomatic? Aren’t you then a danger to all you meet as you travel?

Woke!

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-8-2020 at 08:56 AM

try reading the news in San Diego then get sober . Get real the world is a dangerous place. if there was not a law no overnight camping on beach. On beach in SD would you do it I think not.
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2020 at 09:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
try reading the news in San Diego then get sober . Get real the world is a dangerous place. if there was not a law no overnight camping on beach. On beach in SD would you do it I think not.

Personally probably not, since the two were killed on Torrey Pines beach back in the 70's.

But reality is, a whole bunch of (homeless?) people are doing it every night. Even in the burbs you see people sleeping in the open on the sidewalk. And the ones that aren't doing it at night are sleeping in the day in their tents on the beach. Law is that one side of any tent needs to be open...but from what I have seen a lot are in camping tents...check out OB.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-8-2020 at 10:44 AM

yes wbi I'm totally aware of that . Being I'm from Santa Monica area so cal. The worthless mayor's for over 25 years. Have open door to homeless. To ruin that city make it unsafe to visit beach. On top off that have ordered SM pd back off. Removing bums on beach camping and drug dealing .with all the trash they leave. info is from hi up cop santa Monica PD. is if we don't know that all ready .
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2020 at 04:33 PM

mtgoatetc
Had one interaction w/Craig then asked around.
He was a have that cared not about have nots.
.. a crime? some might say what goes around came around.
Thanks for sharing that useful bit of information.

RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2020 at 09:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

One truism in Mexico: you can be robbed, kidnapped ANYWHERE. Probability is low, but there are criminals all over Mexico, and most travelers are ignorant of local risks.

Fact is you can be robbed, kidnapped or killed anywhere in the WORLD. Just living life is a risk.

As a flying squirrel, I have some knowledge of risk...
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2020 at 09:14 AM

We have Mulege friends, native families for generations, who have advised us not to stop along the highway except at gas stations and to stay in hotels on our way down.

I'll take the advice of the local folks.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
CasaMaximus
Banned

[*] posted on 9-17-2020 at 01:36 PM

We have seen a marked upswing in burglary in Todos Santos. My wife and I are stuck in Northern California but the reports from TS is that there have been significantly more crimes of desperation, otherwise good people resorting to desperate measures they otherwise wouldn’t.

Speaking of... If anyone finds a stainless door handle that looks like it came off a modern house drop me a note. ;)
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 9-17-2020 at 04:40 PM
Crime Here and There

The BIG difference between encountering a criminal situation at home (in the U.S.) and in Mexico (or elsewhere abroad) is ...................

The 9mm always close.

Like the American Express card, (nowadays) never leave home without it.

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 9-17-2020 at 04:55 PM

Through the taco news system I heard that a Canadian couple's home in Bahia Asuncion was recently burgled. The owners had not been down recently but the house and yard were being maintained by trustworthy local family who had done so for a number of years.

Que lastima.:(

Don't believe everything you think....
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 9-17-2020 at 06:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by CasaMaximus  
We have seen a marked upswing in burglary in Todos Santos. My wife and I are stuck in Northern California but the reports from TS is that there have been significantly more crimes of desperation, otherwise good people resorting to desperate measures they otherwise wouldn’t.
;)

TS is experiencing rapid growth pains. The local police have little training or resources to deal with protecting the swag from being jacked. Add to the mix a few really bad hombres of a maleficent persuasion and you have a recipe for unrest. Normally, if the community becomes sufficiently toxic, the vigilante takes care of the problem. Methinks, at this point, the Raza tolerates the existence of a Robin Hood or two to spread the wealth.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
CasaMaximus
Banned

[*] posted on 9-17-2020 at 07:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
Quote: Originally posted by CasaMaximus  
;)

TS is experiencing rapid growth pains. The local police have little training or resources to deal with protecting the swag from being jacked. Add to the mix a few really bad hombres of a maleficent persuasion and you have a recipe for unrest. Normally, if the community becomes sufficiently toxic, the vigilante takes care of the problem. Methinks, at this point, the Raza tolerates the existence of a Robin Hood or two to spread the wealth.

Indeed.
CasaMaximus
Banned

[*] posted on 9-17-2020 at 07:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
As an additional side note...
There are quite a few racers withdrawing from the upcoming 500 due to security concerns.
There are crews resisting attendance and hints of personal body guards being provided by some race entrants.

I'm not involved and can only report what I am hearing from some who are fearful of speaking out.

They do read the information such as this thread floating around the internet and watching others withdraw from the race.

I dont think think this is BS even if it is second or third hand. I have an otherwise fearless friend (a seriously bad ass OG biker) who isn't leaving his house because his wife is afraid of IT. (whatever it is).

I was planning a drive South in an F250 when this thing (whatever IT is) and all my co-pilot "friends" evaporated. The badass biker says it's not safe (but neither is his front yard these days) others cite covid.

It's easier to blame an imaginary boogeyman than admit you are just afraid of IT (whatever it is). Grown men need to make grown up decisions that impact more than themselves i don't fault anyone for choosing the security or their couch if thst makes them happy.

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 9-18-2020 at 08:45 AM
Sixty Years Carrying

More than a few "situations", a couple of close calls (including one with the law) and I'm still here. A shining example of "prudent and responsible" carry.

NOW, with the added (dubious) advantage that I'm so old and near the end that I needn't worry about any long-term consequences. Especially with COVID out there.

Never screw with someone who cares a lot less about seeing tomorrow than you do.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.