Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Best GPS for Baja
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2020 at 10:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Don't you have to subscribe to GAIA to download maps? I've tried, but it when I hit "Download Maps" it goes to a subscription screen. I seem to only have the basic GAIA Topo and to download other sources, again the subscription page comes up.

On Google Maps, you can download maps without a membership fee.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. It happens. Just be aware you may need to subscribe to get what you need.

John

[Edited on 9-12-2020 by John Harper]

yes you need to pay to get the better maps and offline use, worth it if doing serious Baja exploring!

they have great map overlays for the USA as well with BLM/National Forest boundarys, burn areas, etc etc

its a really cool app

[Edited on 9-13-2020 by defrag4]

Driving the PanAmerican Highway
https://www.facebook.com/homeonthehighway/
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 9-14-2020 at 08:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
I have an ancient Garmin Nuvi that I have used all over Baja and all over the Yucatan. We splurged and bought the lifetime map updates for Mexico and it works really well. Saved my butt first time I crossed north at Mexicali East when it turned out Discover Baja maps/directions were outdated. Dirt roads show up, too. Another thing I find that works well with the Garmin is to zoom in as close as possible on Google Earth to a location I am traveling to and enter the GPS coordinates into the Garmin.

[Edited on 9-12-2020 by BajaMama]

Hey jz have you ever checked out e32 maps? You might want to quit bashing garmin if you havenĀ“t? I now use BCN thanks to you but its not the only game in town. Having both is 2x better.

I've had many Garmins. Times change. Technology improves. Avoiding getting stuck in the past keeps one from growing old before their time.

My only point is that older technology can still work. I update my maps prior to departure and the roads, even back dirt roads, show up. I use it when we are on Jeep runs in CA because those old roads show up. My husband has fancy ass crap that is not as reliable as my 15+ hear old Garmin Nuvi with updated, current maps and is complicated to use!
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2020 at 08:50 AM

The OP's question was what kind of GPS is best for Baja. This would imply a traditional stand alone GPS like a Garmin or TomTom. Of course, a GPS must have Mexico maps to work in Baja, and the detail of small dirt tracks might be less than ideal in the basic maps that are provided by the manufacturer. As noted, the after market E32 map ($105 US, Garmin only) has more detail on back roads. I looked at a screen shot of the E32 map for the Sierra Juarez there were so many trails it looked like a ball of spaghetti, but the dirt bikers seem to like it.

Or, "GPS" could mean any electronic device with a built in GPS such as a tablet or smart phone. There are many "apps" or software that can be used to download maps to the device memory, then be used in areas without cell reception. Gaiia, Backountry Navigator, etc etc., much loved by the techie set. The better ones seem to require a subscription. Google maps is free, and areas can be selected and downloaded for offline use. It is pretty good for navigating around towns and cities, but not so great for the back country. The roads are shown by a faint white line on a grey background. If you want to see small dirt tracks, you have to zoom in so far that there is no frame of reference for surrounding main roads, then when you zoom out the small tracks disappear!

For the youngsters, there is a thing called a "map" that is actually printed on something called "paper" a substance that is made out of trees. With one of these, and a compass, it is possible to navigate without the assistance of any electronic device!
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2020 at 09:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
The OP's question was what kind of GPS is best for Baja. This would imply a traditional stand alone GPS like a Garmin or TomTom. Of course, a GPS must have Mexico maps to work in Baja, and the detail of small dirt tracks might be less than ideal in the basic maps that are provided by the manufacturer. As noted, the after market E32 map ($105 US, Garmin only) has more detail on back roads. I looked at a screen shot of the E32 map for the Sierra Juarez there were so many trails it looked like a ball of spaghetti, but the dirt bikers seem to like it.

Or, "GPS" could mean any electronic device with a built in GPS such as a tablet or smart phone. There are many "apps" or software that can be used to download maps to the device memory, then be used in areas without cell reception. Gaiia, Backountry Navigator, etc etc., much loved by the techie set. The better ones seem to require a subscription. Google maps is free, and areas can be selected and downloaded for offline use. It is pretty good for navigating around towns and cities, but not so great for the back country. The roads are shown by a faint white line on a grey background. If you want to see small dirt tracks, you have to zoom in so far that there is no frame of reference for surrounding main roads, then when you zoom out the small tracks disappear!

For the youngsters, there is a thing called a "map" that is actually printed on something called "paper" a substance that is made out of trees. With one of these, and a compass, it is possible to navigate without the assistance of any electronic device!

kids are screwed once the internet goes down

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/map-reading-...

Driving the PanAmerican Highway
https://www.facebook.com/homeonthehighway/
BajaRun
Nomad

Mood: Just Cruisin'

[*] posted on 10-13-2020 at 10:52 AM

Today and tomorrow are Amazon Prime Days, I was thinking about getting a Tablet to use as a GPS for off road travel.

I know zero about them, what would be a good one to get for this purpose?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-13-2020 at 11:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaRun  
Today and tomorrow are Amazon Prime Days, I was thinking about getting a Tablet to use as a GPS for off road travel.

I know zero about them, what would be a good one to get for this purpose?

I had the same thought, and started looking for an inexpensive tablet for that purpose. It turns out that many (if not most) do not have a GPS capability, other that connecting through a phone.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2020 at 01:13 PM

I know nothing, but try this. http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=93354
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2020 at 03:41 PM

From JZs recomendation I bought the Samsung Galaxy Tab E 8in. from Amazon last year. It was around 150 bucks and works well. Get a cell plan and BCN or Gaia and your good to go.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2020 at 04:00 PM

Good advice, and the Ipads from Apple are also very inexpensive at this time and compare to the recommendation above cost wise.
Mr. Bills
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2020 at 09:36 PM

Last year I used a cheap Garmin Drive 51 dashboard GPS and the E32 map.

That, and a now out-of-print Automobile Club of Southern California map were all our group needed to get everywhere we wanted to go.

Now if David K would only get his map guide published in book or spiral bound format.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2020 at 07:05 AM

More maps are good, but of course many of us want to drive on roads that do not appear on the AAA and Davids maps. That is the reason we keep searching for digital maps to fill that void.
Many others as completely satisfied with the main roads documented on the old AA maps. And David for the most part had merely duplicated these roads to a lesser extent. Admiral effort, but not equal to current digital offerings that can be accessed on just about any GPS whether dedicated GPS, tablet, or smartphone.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-14-2020 at 07:44 AM

Yep, the maps I made were only intended to show roads mentioned in my road logs... to give the reader a sense of location or position compared to the area. Putting too much on a map with that purpose only clutters and makes using it difficult.

I love detailed maps to explore with, so the Baja Topo Atlas & Baja Almanac series (1986-2009) were great and easier to use than buying the topo maps from INEGI.
Be happy to know a new Baja map book will be in our future and when I can share the details, I will.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.