Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Insurance coverage
deportes
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2020 at 11:38 AM
Insurance coverage

I have Allstate Liability insurance with 300k limit. and they cover my vehicle 75 miles from the border into Mexico supposedly up to ten days. So I could drive from Tijuana to Ensenada for a few days and not have to get Mexican insurance. Any problems with this plan?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-20-2020 at 11:48 AM

A question you should ask Allstate, is will they provide legal help to get you out of jail if you are in a serious accident. You don't necessarily have to be at fault to be in jail!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2020 at 11:51 AM

I think they might cover comprehensive and collision, but not liability. Double check to make sure.

John
deportes
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2020 at 12:05 PM

I was wondering at the same time, how are Americans that drive to Tijuana for an evening dinner or for a night etc.
Good points, thanks.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-20-2020 at 12:31 PM

I don't live near the border, and when I do cross (once or twice a year) I am on my way south and quickly out of range for the coverage you mentioned.

I drive low value vehicles that I only carry liability on, so an annual drivers license policy takes care of my legal needs, even if I am driving someone else's vehicle.

It allows for impulse visits, and it doesn't have to be the same vehicle each time. If you have a beater like one of mine to drive, the Baja Bound link at the top of this page has more info.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2020 at 12:42 PM

As posted, typically the US Ins Co's that say they cover
you a short distance into Mex, are referring to collision
coverage, not Mex Liability. There may be exceptions.
Allstate would have to have some sort of an agreement
with a Mex Ins Co., can't say I've heard of that, but it may
exist

[Edited on 9-20-2020 by sancho]

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2020 at 12:42 PM

This is from the Geico Insurance website:

"Mexican law requires that you purchase a Mexican auto tourist policy to legally drive in the country."

https://www.geico.com/information/aboutinsurance/mexico/

If you cause property damage or bodily injury and do not have an insurance policy written by a Mexican insurance company, the cops may hold you until you come up with the cash. What your American policy says doesn't make any difference.

[Edited on 9-20-2020 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2020 at 12:48 PM

Mexico does not recognize any US carrier Liability. Some companies extend comprehensive and collision a certain mileage below the border.
Some MAY cover liability at a later date after investigation, but at the time of the accident you cant show Mexican Liability, the car most likely will be impounded and you put in jail.
Don't take the risk
Alan

Oh, and make sure your Mexican Policy includes "Legal".

[Edited on 9-20-2020 by DawnPatrol]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2020 at 03:20 PM

Just saw this link on Facebook. It's about driver's license policies. Might be the way to go to get legal if you understand the limitations.

https://www.mexpro.com/mexico/drivers-license/coverage.html

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
CasaMaximus
Banned

[*] posted on 9-20-2020 at 05:18 PM

What SFandH said...

I have been told by insurance companies on both sides of the border that no insurance policy written in the US can be binding in Mexico. Maybe yours is, but if it isn't you don't get to come home unless or until it pay. Chubb wrote me a $300k Mexican insurance policy for $200 per year. It flies me home if I need it.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.