BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: An Observation/Appreciation of the Mexican People - Just a Ramble...
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2020 at 07:20 AM
An Observation/Appreciation of the Mexican People - Just a Ramble...

I don't know how you could live here / be here for more than twenty minutes without developing a deep respect for the hard work and honest character of the local people. Wow!

How they face and deal with the difficulties of life. How they work hard. How well-educated and intellectual many people are. Even people in the simplest of jobs. Just an amazing place.

I am a newbie of only seven years here full time and almost every day I am humbled by the good people here.

My peeps!

I do from time to time, thank the guy who runs the mail service I use, for allowing me to live in his country. What an honor! If you've not lived around the world a bit, you don't know how rare this so-easy visa process is.

I've lived in a variety of countries in Africa, Asia and the Middle East and everywhere I lived, every year, geezzz, you never knew what the immigration people were going to throw at you in terms of paperwork, bullchit, etc. It was always an anxiety-producing situation. Even when you had "done your research". Here - easy peasy.

I don't know... I just wanted to say THANK YOU to Mejico! And Mexicans.

I love this place more every year. Gracias!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-25-2020 at 07:33 AM

Well said... you figured it out, yes, they are a great people and part of why we norteamericanos keep going back.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Rossman
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2020 at 01:54 PM

Very well said. I've been living down here for almost 6 years now and I could not agree more with your assessment of the great people here. I always tell my acquaintances that are a bit uncomfortable with the thought of traveling in Baja, that for every bit of news that gets sensationalized here and in the media, Social and mainstream, I can give 10 examples of undeserved kindness that my Mexican friends and neighbors have shown me on a weekly basis. The combination of the $30 Tourist Permit and the $50 annual fishing permit, combine to be the biggest bargain that one will run across on this planet. Viva Mexico.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-25-2020 at 02:52 PM

have to agree even that Mexico is the most disorganized country. I take it any day over my home state California . Leaned much here
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2020 at 05:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
have to agree even that Mexico is the most disorganized country. I take it any day over my home state California . Leaned much here

disorganized? there is a big world out there with waaaaaay more "disorganized " countries. consider broader travel. every dollar well spent.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2020 at 05:49 PM

I bet people are pretty much the same everywhere, especially when interacting with travelers/newbies from other countries. The vast majority are good. But there are always scoundrels around and Mexico certainly has its share.

Not sure though, all I really know is SoCal and Baja.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-25-2020 at 07:19 PM

thanks for the positive ramble. I am filled with wonder how the Mexicanos are so ingenious and never give up in the face of adversity. When I ask if something is possible to do, they always answer todo es posible....anything is possible...and they go about finding the right person to get the job done...no matter what...with very few means.
I am constantly humbled by their graciousness and generosity and feel I have become a better person learning from them.
Indeed....Viva Mexico!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2020 at 08:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
feel I have become a better person learning from them.
Indeed....Viva Mexico!

That is a very nice statement. I feel the same, not that I
have anything close to the depth of your experience.
The casual visitor to Mex, I doubt spends the time nor has
the chance to interact with the residents, if so they would come away
with the same appreciation. I feel fortunate to live close to
the border

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2020 at 10:28 PM

The visa process has to be one of the easiest anywhere. We are VERY lucky.

I think my favorite part of living here is how they all band together precisely to make things happen.

One kid that we helped in his very last semester in college - Omar - found out this year that he has cancer.

I called to find out how he was doing and he said that he was humbled by how generous all his friends had been to create raffles etc to raise money for an operation he had to have. This is how it is here!

At least once a month, there is a raffle offered at our front door. Last month there was one in Abreojos. Monik, a woman who did me the kind favor of bringing me a plant I bought in G Negro from the plant lady, wrote that her sister needed an urgent operation. She was raffling off a set of glass containers for keeping food in the fridge.

I asked Les to take us to breakfast in Abre and I went over to a friend's house who was selling the raffles to help Monik out. I bought 4 raffles and let her choose the numbers.

I won!

Mexico really is a special place and WE ARE REALLY lucky to be here.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-25-2020 at 11:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  

disorganized? there is a big world out there with waaaaaay more "disorganized " countries. consider broader travel. every dollar well spent.
. ... clearly you have not been there long enough or seen what I see.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2020 at 05:04 AM

ever been to central Africa?
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2020 at 07:29 AM

PacificoBob wrote: ever been to central Africa?

I agree! I lived in Botswana for two years. Yeah - Mexico can't compare. And Botswana is probably one of the better organized places on the continent. Regardless... LOVELY hard-working good people, doing their best, in spite of the vagaries of government.

[Edited on 9-26-2020 by RocketJSquirrel]
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2020 at 08:49 AM

Mexico is a country full of color, you see it everywhere.
But in the background are a million shades of grey.

Es Todo Bueno
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-26-2020 at 09:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  
:wow:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2020 at 12:27 PM

All the young ppl I use to hang out with in Sonora went to college. Either in Guaymas or Hermosillo.

[Edited on 9-26-2020 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2020 at 12:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  

Please explain? :?:

That sounds like one of those things said in a college dorm full of pot smoke, with everybody mumbling "wow, man" at the profundity of it, without anyone actually understanding the point. :lol:

Lets see, the homes are painted as bright as can be and so is the art.

The grey starts when you talk about business and government.
Contracts are black & white in the USA.
A business contract in Mexico is grey at best.
A warranty is five feet or five minutes.
A liter is a fluid measurement in more ways than one.

Es Todo Bueno

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.