BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: A question for you Tacoma fans....4 vs 6 cyl?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-28-2020 at 07:54 PM
A question for you Tacoma fans....4 vs 6 cyl?

A guy a few blocks from me is selling a 2010, 4x4, access cab Tacoma with the 2.7L four banger and a standard transmission. It seems to be in pretty good shape, and is priced pretty much in line with Kelley blue book.

My question is....is there any good reason to go with the smaller engine with a do it yourself shifter, rather than keep shopping for a V6 with an auto?

Looking at reviews, they seem to get about the same mileage, and the six would be a hell of a lot better on long grades, or pulling a load. my favorite off road vehicles over the years have mostly been automatics, but I have never owned a Toyota with either tranny.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2020 at 08:03 PM

V6 with the mod to give it more horse power.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-28-2020 at 08:25 PM

People like both, but the V6 takes off on the freeway or if you are towing is a better choice.

The mileage difference is 5 mpg+, 16 vs 21+.

Mine is also a 2010, a 4x4 TRD Off Road, which is the only model with A-TRAC and the rear locking differential.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 9-28-2020 at 08:29 PM

You'll be much happier with the V6 auto.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-28-2020 at 08:38 PM

both poor mpg the cab and half 4 banger with stick works well. I bought a new 12 prerunner double cab but with 2.7 . Because of the double cab 4banger . No 4x4 or stick you can get . well I hated the truck only because the auto trans. also one recall after another sad as all older. Older toyotas where bullet proof. my off road toyota built v6 stick is at 10 mpg haha . I would grab that truck with the 4 banger stick. beware the late toy auto trans is garbage.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2020 at 10:41 AM

If the price is right go for it. What's the mileage on it?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-29-2020 at 11:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
If the price is right go for it. What's the mileage on it?

It has 150k, and I believe I can get it for $9500, after he gets it smogged. It has decent tires (265/70/16) and a new clutch. There are a few minor body defects, but nothing worse than I usually do to my rigs!

I probably would have already pulled the trigger on this one, except there isn't much room behind the front seats for my dog and stuff!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2020 at 12:03 PM

Once you get it or another Tacoma, many of us Nomads can advise you on mods to help it be more "Baja worthy"... It is excellent pure stock as the TRD Off Road was developed from Baja racing and Ivan Stewart's input.

Without a lift, you can go up one tire size without any rubbing: 265/75-16. This is about 1" taller and that gives you 1/2" more ground clearance. A side note: the speedometer reads a bit high from the factory (ie. ~67-68 mph is really 65 mph)... With the 265/75 tires, the speedometer is correct.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2020 at 12:05 PM

sounds like a deal the 2.7 is a great engine but only with manual trans
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 9-29-2020 at 12:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
sounds like a deal the 2.7 is a great engine but only with manual trans

agreed, my 4runner with the 2.7 auto was grim to say the least:no:
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2020 at 01:21 PM

a friend visits me with a 08 tacoma cab and half. 2.7 4x4 manual. nice rig I wish mine had the manual . I sold it only 2 1/2 years of new. Bought the mex frontier 2.5 4x4 turbo diesel manual trans. Great truck power and mpgs but now I want 2021 hilux . diesel manual trans unless I sell the Nissan. no Hilux no more garage space .
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-29-2020 at 02:55 PM

I appreciate the feedback from those who have owned a four banger.

The cramped interior space would be ok for all my truck needs here in NorCal, but I would hate to have to put most of my stuff in the bed on a Baja run. Beside that, my dog prefers to ride in a back seat, but in that cab she wouldn't be able to stick her head out the window!

This truck does not have the TRD package, but does have a limited slip rear end with an optional locker button (that I did not get to try out).

I suppose that if I bought it, put it through it's paces fully loaded here in Nevada county, I would know soon enough. I just don't want to have to start shopping for a larger replacement right away!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2020 at 03:18 PM

AK, learning then explaining the Tacoma traction systems has been my sideline work over on the Tacoma World forums... If you have a 2010, it does not have a traditional limited slip differential (the 2005-2008 TRD Sport were the only models with one). In 2009, all Tacomas received electronic traction control (achieves limited slip by using the ABS brakes and spin sensors), called TRAC and AUTO LSD.

A factory locking differential was only available on the Off Road TRD.

The button may be there but you should go look on top of the rear diff and see if the e-locker is there... Unless, the previous owner added a locker, like ARB or another brand.

Is this truck you are looking at a 4x4 or a 4x2?

2010 TRD Off Road buttons:

Left side switches,
Top: Fog Lamps; Rear Diff Locker; Power outlet inverter control.
Bottom: Mirror, Stability and traction controls (VSC, TRAC, AUTO LSD), DAC (downhill crawl system), RSCA Off (Rollover Side Curtain Airbag)

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2020 at 09:38 AM

150,000 is low mileage for a truck like that. Sounds like a good deal. You can always lock up the front and rear differentials if need be. You could take out the passenger seat for the dog.
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 9-30-2020 at 09:53 AM

consider a 4runner instead. my first one (with the 2.7) I worked out of so I removed the back seat and built a flat platform that allowed a 6"ladder to easily slide in up to the front seat, the area on either side of the hump were accessible thru hatches for storage. just a thought!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-30-2020 at 10:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
consider a 4runner instead.

I already have an Isuzu Trooper, that aside from crappy fuel economy, I am very happy with! I need something I can fill with firewood, jugs of diesel fuel, chainsaws, gasoline or a small load of brush, then clean up for a trip SOB.

The guy pulled his ad, but the truck is still there, so I don't even know if it is available anymore. I will stop by after work (him, not me!) and take my dog this time.

He is very proud of the off road ability of the Tacoma, but his work required up-sizing to a full size truck, while my retirement allows downsizing to a smaller one! I still need a truck to maintain my own property and equipment.

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2020 at 11:07 AM

I have same problem with owning a suv. So I bought camper shells . sick and tried of removing them everytime I need haul something. They sit in my backyard for years now.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 9-30-2020 at 03:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
consider a 4runner instead.

I already have an Isuzu Trooper, that aside from crappy fuel economy, I am very happy with! I need something I can fill with firewood, jugs of diesel fuel, chainsaws, gasoline or a small load of brush, then clean up for a trip SOB.

The guy pulled his ad, but the truck is still there, so I don't even know if it is available anymore. I will stop by after work (him, not me!) and take my dog this time.

He is very proud of the off road ability of the Tacoma, but his work required up-sizing to a full size truck, while my retirement allows downsizing to a smaller one! I still need a truck to maintain my own property and equipment.

If you need a rear locking differential, you call add an ARB Air Locker along with an ARB compressor. The guys I do trail rides with tow small camp trailers, and you might get away with doing this, although 4 cylinders and a manual transmission can be seen as a stretch. If it's not available, I would opt for a 6 cyl crew cab. The Truck Trader or eBay Motors should have some good ideas for you.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-30-2020 at 05:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
A guy a few blocks from me is selling a 2010, 4x4, access cab Tacoma with the 2.7L four banger and a standard transmission. It seems to be in pretty good shape, and is priced pretty much in line with Kelley blue book.

My question is....is there any good reason to go with the smaller engine with a do it yourself shifter, rather than keep shopping for a V6 with an auto?

Looking at reviews, they seem to get about the same mileage, and the six would be a hell of a lot better on long grades, or pulling a load. my favorite off road vehicles over the years have mostly been automatics, but I have never owned a Toyota with either tranny.

Skip the tacoma and get a f150 crew cab 4x4 with v6 turbo. Better gas mileage than v6 tacoma, more durable, more room for your friends and dogs, pulls more than the toy truck

Get an automatic.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 9-30-2020 at 05:55 PM

Agree 100% with Sr. Chiva.... (This may be a first)

F150 was made for Baja
And auto trans, especially if you are going off road is a must.
First pre-run I ever made (back in the Dark Ages) was with a stick
And man did that thing chatter and shudder going up a steep washboard hill.
North of Gonzaga the Sisters almost did in that stick truck
Automatics from then on.

As Walker Evans told us "You got too much else to worry about to be shifting and clutching going fast down the road"
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.