Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Passport renewal
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2020 at 07:57 AM
Passport renewal

Just a heads up for anyone getting ready to renew your passport. I sent mine in 6 weeks ago assuming that was plenty of time before my normal trip in October as usually our applications are processed in about 2 wks. My check was cashed right away so I assumed everything was on track. Weeks went by with no word. The website stated that if I was planning a trip within 2 weeks to call, so I called. After an hour wait I was finally connected and they looked up my application. They advised my application was in process and I should receive it in 10-12 weeks. I explained I had plans to travel in 2 weeks and was advised that if I paid an obscene amount of money and paid for priority mail I could receive it in about a month.

I am assuming this is because the offices were closed for Covid but thought some of you might need to know of the need to process your application "EARLY"!

In Memory of E-57
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2020 at 08:19 AM

My kid submitted hers in Feb and got it back in July.

Just checked an expedite service.

$120 for 6-8 weeks
$199 for 4-6 weeks

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-29-2020 at 09:05 AM

Can you get either written, or electronic confirmation that the application is being processed?

If so, could that be used with your expired passport to board a flight to Mexico, or get an FMM at the border?

[Edited on 9-29-2020 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2020 at 10:14 AM

If going to Baja I wouldn't worry about it. First of all a Dr. license will get you back into the US from Baja. Second when was the last time if ever were you asked for a passport in Baja other than to get your FMM papers. If it makes you feel better take your birth certificate. If going to any other country your probably screwed.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2020 at 11:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
If going to Baja I wouldn't worry about it. First of all a Dr. license will get you back into the US from Baja. Second when was the last time if ever were you asked for a passport in Baja other than to get your FMM papers. If it makes you feel better take your birth certificate. If going to any other country your probably screwed.

I won't have to worry about renewal for another five or six years, but one of my sons in AK was talking about joining me on my next trip, and he is months away from getting his!

I have never been asked for a passport in Baja, other than for getting my FMM, and no one has asked to see it yet. Flying to Baja is a different story though, and even if he flies to southern CA and rides across with me there is always an element of uncertainty that I would like to avoid.

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 9-29-2020 at 11:30 AM

wonder what the turnaround time for just the card is?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2020 at 11:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
wonder what the turnaround time for just the card is?

The card is only good for land or sea travel, he could not fly to Mexico with it.

vandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2020 at 11:51 AM

I applied for my card and passport in July, got both in two weeks.
Luck of the draw, I guess, or maybe a different processing center for Phoenix.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2020 at 09:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Can you get either written, or electronic confirmation that the application is being processed?

If so, could that be used with your expired passport to board a flight to Mexico, or get an FMM at the border?

You have to turn in your old passport and card with the renewal application. So right now I got nothing but my "real ID" drivers license :lol:

In Memory of E-57
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2020 at 09:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
If I was driving it wouldn't be an issue But I need a passport to fly and get my FMM. I am a US citizen with a "real ID" driver license so they have to let me come home so that isn't an issue.

In Memory of E-57
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2020 at 10:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alan  
Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

You have to turn in your old passport and card with the renewal application. So right now I got nothing but my "real ID" drivers license :lol:

You're right, I forgot that part! I had to send my expiring passport in with the application. Then they sent it back, along with the new one, but with a hole punched in it!

tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2020 at 01:19 PM

When I renewed my passport, I only had to send in the old one, but not my card.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2020 at 01:54 PM

If you ever visit us here in La Bocana, ask Les to tell you about his renewal of American passport in England.

Just incredible!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2020 at 05:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
If you ever visit us here in La Bocana, ask Les to tell you about his renewal of American passport in England.

Just incredible!

JaJa! I'm imagining my daughter probably went through something similar in London. Even though she still had nearly six months left before hers expired they wouldn't let her continue her trip onto the continent so she paid all the extra fees to have it expedited but then they sent it to her address in the states. Took 3 weeks before she got home:lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 10-1-2020 by Alan]

In Memory of E-57
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2020 at 06:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tjsue  
When I renewed my passport, I only had to send in the old one, but not my card.

"The passport card allows its holders to travel by domestic air flights within the United States, and to travel by land and sea within part of North America. However, the passport card cannot be used for international air travel."
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2020 at 02:45 PM

a few years back i had a renewal done same day in hong kong
del mar
Banned

[*] posted on 10-1-2020 at 04:17 PM

we all know the limitations of the card but anyone with just the card renew one? don't have to surrender it?:?:
tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2020 at 05:57 PM

I didn't have to surrender mine when I renewed my passport. There's no need to, because you're sending in your old passport with the renewal.
del mar
Banned

[*] posted on 10-1-2020 at 06:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tjsue  
I didn't have to surrender mine when I renewed my passport. There's no need to, because you're sending in your old passport with the renewal.

thanks sue but again im asking about having JUST the card, i've let my book expire and don't plan on traveling anywhere other than DRIVING into mex these days:D like many I only got one to access the readylane back when it was a true advantage

[Edited on 10-2-2020 by del mar]

[Edited on 10-2-2020 by del mar]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-2-2020 at 06:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
we all know the limitations of the card but anyone with just the card renew one? don't have to surrender it?:?:

Go to the pp card application and read it. Should say whether you have to send in or not.

The enhanced drivers licenses are good for ready lane. So if you have one of those, you can skip the pp card...

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.