BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: LAX - LTO report
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 10-2-2020 at 08:12 AM
LAX - LTO report

First time flying since the start of Covid.

Arrived LAX terminal 6 Alaska International and found it like a ghost town. Very few people and no lines. Easy Peasey.

No line at all for the inspection and pat down.

Walking to the Alaska's Boardroom club very few people in the terminal with no lines at the food counters.

Got right in to the club and that time had no capacity. The free food was down to a minimum and they had to serve it to you, no buffet. The bar was open. They changed the seating so there was some type of social distancing and you were required to wear you mask in between eating and drinking. By the time I left capacity controls had gone into effect and they reached their limit which didn't seem that crowed.

Surprisingly the coach section of the plane was around 80% full and first class was almost full. In my case I was traveling alone so in first class they did not have a passenger next to me and my guess is that unless you were traveling with someone you knew that might be their policy.

Now for the clusterflock at LTO airport. I don't think they were prepared for so many people. Immigration still had 2 and 3 people but they only had one ramp rat for the luggage and it took forever for one person to unload and then put luggage on the belt. They usually have 2 ramp rats. That created a back up at the red light green light and I would estimate some people had to wait well over an hour from departing to completing the process. Masks were required in the airport and they were enforcing that policy.

Got home, turned on the A/C then went to the grocery store and then back to my place and went to sleep early.

Today is the big day, go check on the boat! I have been told that there are Dorado out there that needs to be relocated to my dinner plate.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-2-2020 at 08:22 AM

Thanks for the good report, Howard! Be safe and enjoy yourself...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2020 at 08:25 AM

Welcome home amigo!

I was picking up some friends from the airport yesterday as well, just missed you!

It took my friends forever to get out to the parking lot, I was getting concerned I was going to have to bust in there and rescue them from aduana or something :spingrin:

Still getting small dorado out by San Bruno/Punta Colorado, bigger ones have moved out deeper off Punta Lobos/Mercenarios/Catalana

[Edited on 10-2-2020 by defrag4]

Driving the PanAmerican Highway
https://www.facebook.com/homeonthehighway/
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2020 at 08:51 AM

You are so right, Loreto took a long time to release my Mom too! She was the first one on in LA ergo the last suitcase out in Loreto.

She could have taken 24 hours to get out - I was so happy to have her come!

Excellent reporting.

After decompressing and after catching your dorado, all of you come and visit! Come for lobster! Come to meet us! Come to see our village for yourselves!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-2-2020 at 09:14 AM

My go to rules have always been to sit at the front of the plane and carry on bags.

Even if they have two ramp rats working it could take an hour to get out of there.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-2-2020 at 09:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
My go to rules have always been to sit at the front of the plane and carry on bags.

Even if they have two ramp rats working it could take an hour to get out of there.

I agree! I have been snow birding between AK and CA for about fifteen years now, and there is almost nothing that needs to make a round trip with me.

The only problem with that, is that so many people are over loading the overhead storage bins, that on a full flight it really gums up the works.

The bright side of that, is that frequently I have the option of checking my carry-on bag at the boarding gate. Anything valuable, or critical (passport, meds, etc) is in my laptop case ad stays with me.

The checked carry-on is almost always the among fist bags coming in to baggage claim, and sometimes I get it as I leave the plane!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
10-2-2020 at 11:21 AM
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 10-2-2020 at 12:25 PM

I agree about the carry on but had some stuff for the boat that wouldn’t go as carryon. I think it’s just luck of the draw on which luggage comes out first. First class makes no difference and not sue about first to check in is last to get your stuff.

I had to just take a deep breath and smile at the inefficiency. That worked for almost 5 minutes. :biggrin:

George Bernard Shaw

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-2-2020 at 12:41 PM

If you could smile for more than five minutes in that situation, you could find yourself under suspicion for possessing an "Illegal smile" substance! ;)

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 10-2-2020 at 01:38 PM

But let's face it folks, flying Alaska to Loreto sure beats (for me) the grueling drive down from Portland, the border crossing, the nights in motels, and the expense. Alaska is one well run, well managed airline.

Not that I haven't enjoyed the challenge of the Baja drive, but I can leave home at 6 am and be in Loreto at 2 O'clock to snuggle in to my lovely Casa.

What's not to like about an International airport 10 minutes from your home?

I am very thankful they service our little bit of heaven on the Sea of Cortes.

Thanks for the great report, Howard. :dudette:

[Edited on 10-2-2020 by Loretana]

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."
-Nikola Tesla
Howard
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2020 at 04:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
If you could smile for more than five minutes in that situation, you could find yourself under suspicion for possessing an "Illegal smile" substance! ;)

Thanks for the compliment but the key words I used was “almost 5 minutes.” I didn’t want to sound like an ugly American but it was more like 1-2 minutes closer to 1. :biggrin:

George Bernard Shaw

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.