BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mexico Is Keeping Its Public Beaches Accessible with New Fines
Lost Roadie

[*] posted on 10-2-2020 at 10:20 AM
Mexico Is Keeping Its Public Beaches Accessible with New Fines

Came across this today I thought to share it here.

"In a bid to ensure its shorelines remain accessible to everyone, the Mexican government this week voted to introduce hefty fines against hotels, restaurants, nightclubs or other coastal businesses who block public access to the country’s beaches.
In Mexico all beaches are public by law. Coastal property owners are not allowed to build any permanent structure within 20 meters of the high tide line or restrict public access to the beach. But that hasn't stopped some from violating the rules. It's an issue that has long angered locals. Complaints have been streaming in, particularly during the pandemic, about hotels or private beach club owners erecting barriers or hiring security guards to restrict the public from "exclusive" stretches of public beaches with claims that they are private, according to the Associated Press.

That unfair treatment could soon be a thing of the past as the Mexican government voted unanimously in favor of fining property owners who break this rule up to one million pesos or $47,000. The bill was passed on Tuesday and will now go to the president for his approval. Businesses that repeatedly break the law could lose their permits to operate on any part of the beach.
In a statement, Labor Party senator Alejandra del Carmen León Gastélum said the hotel industry and condominiums regularly harass people who aren't their customers at the beaches, so it is “fundamental to end this abuse and flagrant fraud against the Constitution".

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/mexico-public-beach-ac...
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2020 at 12:52 PM

Fluff from the MX government. Makes it look like they're working. And that they care.

MX has laws it doesn't enforce. This'll be another one.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2020 at 02:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Fluff from the MX government. Makes it look like they're working. And that they care.

MX has laws it doesn't enforce. This'll be another one.

x2
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-2-2020 at 02:47 PM

hahaha the big cult west of santa tomos . Has blocked off 7 miles beach. I'm going to ride my bike to the guard there tell him open up:light::light:
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 10-2-2020 at 02:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
hahaha the big cult west of santa tomos . Has blocked off 7 miles beach. I'm going to ride my bike to the guard there tell him open up:light::light:

Hahah Wait till I get there so I can hear his answer.
akshadow
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2020 at 03:25 PM
beach lease

Since the Mexican government will let you lease the "federal zone" I wonder if it will impact the land they have leased.

Ron San Felipe Oct, Nov. Feb. Mar. April. remainder in Juneau Ak
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 10-2-2020 at 04:06 PM

particularly sad in big cities that just don't have that much sandy beach to start with like Rosarito where beaches were closed during these hot summer months forcing the locals and folks from Mexicali here to cool off into a couple packed beaches like a petri dish :( and yes even if AMLO signs it it'll never be enforced....but maybe a start
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2020 at 04:07 PM

If you found a federal zone lot that that was not leased , and leased it would the other lessors have to provide an access to that lot? Some rentors in my camp do not pay the fed lease in front of their home. I think that is stupid someone could lease it for camping.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2020 at 05:29 PM

There is probably a reasonable fee for a zoning variance payable to a local federal official, or five.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2020 at 12:02 PM

Things are evolving in regard to Federal property and the Federal Maritime zone and how it is classified. The federal government is paying more attention to who has what where along the coast. Who knows how it will be managed and enforced but it is changing. That is fact.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-3-2020 at 01:28 PM

please clarify is the new law stating . All beaches in the country of Mexico . Must have public access not to be smart. Is that what the new law is . Or you can lease it and block the public. ?
vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2020 at 01:51 PM

Aw we have the same thing. It's called Malibu. Brought to light a few

times when the police/ private security guards chased out the

"wrong intruding citizen " from going to the "private beach" The

expelled citizen happened to be an in office state

politician. After which a few costal access ingresses were created to

drive the point home. Don't know if much really changed though.
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 10-5-2020 at 02:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vacaenbaja  
Aw we have the same thing. It's called Malibu. Brought to light a few

times when the police/ private security guards chased out the

"wrong intruding citizen " from going to the "private beach" The

expelled citizen happened to be an in office state

politician. After which a few costal access ingresses were created to

drive the point home. Don't know if much really changed though.

that be David Geffen's Malibu compound, after a long battle we won, Hollister Ranch? probably never:no:
vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2020 at 03:53 PM

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-hollister-ranch-20...
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2020 at 07:13 PM

Boy, I was so surprised in Cancun when the hotel did not want to allow me to go to the beach via the hotel (no other pathway that I could see).

:o

That was my face as I told them that I was going to put my feet in the water ... they followed me the whole way LOL But I did it! Both feet in the wonderful water within an hour of arriving there!

Then we got in our rental car, went to lunch and headed south.

It would be nice if all beaches were protected and for the public. In Brazil, there is usually a beach, then the road and then hotels etc.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-6-2020 at 07:32 PM

You sure wouldn't want to be in Cancun right now, hurricane Delta is gonna smack them! :o

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-7-2020 at 08:23 AM
The Delta effect in Cancun

Yup, they got flooded, and with hundred mile an hour winds! I wonder what the beaches are like now?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
cactuspete1970

[*] posted on 10-7-2020 at 11:25 AM

The cane weakened, very little damage.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.