Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja Geetars
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-11-2020 at 10:22 AM
Baja Geetars

Nomads,
I know there are some musicians out there.

As a long-time guitar player, I have always brought a guitar or two to Baja when down for longer than just a few weeks (or moto-dedicated trips)....an acoustic and/or electric.

I am curious what other guitar folks do for their Baja playing.

Since retirement several years ago, I developed a nasty habit of collecting electrics off Kijiji (kind of a buy and sell website) in the pursuit of what suits my aesthetics, playability, and bang for the buck. I came across some good ones that strayed from the Gibson Fender herd....and have sold all of them (DeArmond M72 Bluesbird, Hagstrom Ultra Lux, Hagstrom strat style, and several Squier strats and teles.

I am finding I prefer Fender/Squiers over Gibson/Epiphones....

And my acoustic purchases ( Larrivee and top end Yamaha [LL16D] keep me in touch with my coffee house days.

Amps vary from Fishman Mini Loudbox for acoustic, battery/shore power Yamaha THX for elec/acoustic, and a Traynor 12" tube amp for home electric, and a Fender Mustang 2 for home and some travel....

I am a telecaster junkie....strat next.... and Epiphone 339 and Les Paul last....

Any players out there willing to share their habit?

Don't believe everything you think....
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2020 at 11:01 AM

Not Baja made, but a lifelong musician friend who goes to the mainland has come across a guitar maker in the Michoacán sp? area who makes some beautiful guitars.

He has been bringing a few back every trip to some fellow guitar playing friends. They are beauties. I don't have any other info at the moment, but if one googled Michoacán guitar makers, there might be a reference found.

As for electric guitars, no telling.

Peace, love, and fish tacos should remain all of our mantras. Should, being the point.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-11-2020 at 12:38 PM

Many years ago, I took my family on an extended road trip. On of the stops on our route was a mountain community, Paracho, which I believe is in the state of Michoacán.

The town is known for it's colony of musical instrument makers. I have no musical talent at all, but my wife did, and she found a twelve string guitar that we couldn't pass up!

We bought it directly from the craftsman who made it, and his pride in his work was obvious from the way he handled the guitar, and how he beamed when my wife ran through a few cords.

My youngest son also left town with a new instrument. He picked up a mandolin, and played it often, fortunately not too much while we were confined to the Suburban. He was still in an awkward, learning level of talent!

As a side note, the guitar builder noticed our Alaska plates, and showed us some of his wood supply....Sitka Spruce that he imported from Alaska!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 10-11-2020 at 12:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Many years ago, I took my family on an extended road trip. On of the stops on our route was a mountain community, Paracho, which I believe is in the state of Michoacán.

My youngest son also left town with a new instrument. He picked up a mandolin, and played it often, fortunately not too much while we were confined to the Suburban. He was still in an awkward, learning level of talent!

completely understand.....I wouldn't let the best mandolin player in my car!:lol:
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2020 at 08:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  

completely understand.....I wouldn't let the best mandolin player in my car!:lol:

I wouldn’t mind having Rod Stewart’s touring mandolin player J’Anna Jacoby riding along playing rips from his hit Maggie May.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2020 at 01:36 AM

Went to a Rod Stewart concert at the Santa Barbara bowl almost one year ago.

He still sounds fantastic.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2020 at 05:36 AM

A little off topic but prolly the most eclectic and largest collector I know if is Joe Bonamassa: Look him up on Instagram, he shares his addiction every day.
I'm intrigued with the bass guitars you see in Mexican music groups.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-12-2020 at 09:56 AM

The town is known for it's colony of musical instrument makers.

About five years ago I was motorcycling in that area and spent two days looking around through many of the guitar shops in Paracho....some remarkable luthiers..... some not so good learning the craft.

I was tempted but was on a bike..... the Mexicans sure have a range of guitar styles for their music.

Don't believe everything you think....
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-12-2020 at 10:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  

This is a bit of a "sidejack" (sorry Ged!) but the reason for the mandolin selection was because they share the same string configuration as a violin. Ryan had already started violin lessons (his choice at ten years old!) but we did not take one on this road trip, so the mandolin gave him realistic practice.

FWIW, he excelled with the violin! He was first chair, and concert master of his high school symphony orchestra, and had side gigs for extra cash with a string quartet that he formed with three other students.

And I can't even hum and clap my hands to the same beat!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.