Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Be Careful walking the Baja Trails
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 10-14-2020 at 07:07 PM

FOX News ran the attack portions of the clip today
The host said "That whole thing runs 6 minutes" so it is getting a lot of exposure.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-14-2020 at 08:36 PM

By the way, is a mountain lion called a "Puma" or something else in Baja?

[Edited on 10-15-2020 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2020 at 06:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

The rancheros I have talked with call them Puma.

Talked with the family at San Cosme last year. They told me about a recent puma attack there. A ranchero was jumped by two puma and knocked off his horse. His dog got one of the cats off him and he fought the other one off with his machete. His dog got cut up but he was ok.

I have worked as a logging engineer for 35 years and only once did I have a cat try and eat me. It was ready to jump on me when my dog, Shepard/Wolf cross named Elvis, treed him. He got steak for dinner that night.
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2020 at 07:26 AM

At the very end of video he did throw a rock at it.it hit the ground in front of cougar.it immediately took off in opposite direction...
Allwaters
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2020 at 06:47 AM
Humbold county attack?

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
It’s pretty common to see Lions here in rural Oregon but mostly just a flash crossing the road and springing 10 feet or so up a bank and its gone. No reports of any attacks other than one across the border a few years ago in Northern CA where a hiker was attacked and mauled pretty good. His wife tried to beat it off with a stick with little effect. Attacks like that are about as rare as being struck by lightening.
They are amazing animals and are truly a treat to see.
Allwaters
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2020 at 06:54 AM

On the Northern Ca. Attack, are you speaking about the one in Fern Canyon I believe? An elderly couple where the wife was stabbing the Lion with a pencil while it was mauling the Husband... I remember hearing of that one... As far as Oregon there was a fatal attack on a woman hiker (near Portland I think) about two or three yrs ago. My Biologist friend was somewhat involved in the capture of that particular Lion. Never have heard of or seen a Lion or Bobcat in Baja altho no doubts in my mind they are there, as there ar Deer, Bighorn Sheep and much smaller prey items.
Allwaters
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2020 at 06:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Allwaters
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2020 at 06:59 AM

Puma is the Spanish word for Mt Lion, Cougar would be another name for it. The Florida Panther is also a Mt Lion/Cougar and native to Florida although their numbers have been augmented by animals from Texas I believe...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-30-2020 at 07:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Allwaters  
Puma is the Spanish word for Mt Lion, Cougar would be another name for it. The Florida Panther is also a Mt Lion/Cougar and native to Florida although their numbers have been augmented by animals from Texas I believe...

Welcome to Nomad!

When you quote another's post, you can type your reply in the same post after the [ /rquote] tag. As I am doing now.

Some Nomads begin replying before that closing tag and then their words get included in the original quote. Of course, they can click edit to fix that! ;)

In any case, nice to have you here! :light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2020 at 08:34 AM

Young Puma snared by goat rancher at rancho La Presa, just north of Mission Guadalupe. Tanning it with local treebark in an old cooler. We had coffee, chatted a bit. We drained some cervesas at the SJ de Magdelena cabalgata a couple years later.

Puma.jpg - 310kB
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-30-2020 at 10:24 AM

Good encounter....for you, Al.

Ride safe.

Don't believe everything you think....
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2020 at 01:22 PM

There are mountain lions, pumas, living in the Sierra de Libertad mountain range, BCN. We have seen them, they are known to eat the foals/calves born out on the range, we see their tracks in the sandy river beds. They are here.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.