Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Loreto Fishing Report - October 2020
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2020 at 09:37 AM
Loreto Fishing Report - October 2020

Been hitting it hard for the past few weeks, figured I would share the current conditions with all yall stuck at home!

Dorado season is coming to a close here in LTO, still picking up a few here or there but the hot nearshore bite is over, we never did get any big boys in, but they were at least fun size! Roosterfish have been hot and heavy the past few weeks with plenty of little guys and a few monsters being caught. Summer temps are finally breaking in the AM and PM but midday is still scorching with temps in the high 90s. :O Its a great time to be on or in the water.

Headed out with a buddy on his panga to troll for some dorado up by San Bruno, ended up with a double hookup on roosters!

After hearing so much chit talking from my gringo friends about eating roosterfish I asked my local buddy who is the owner of a seafood restaurant if they are any good, he said of course they are! And we fileted the smaller one up right there on the boat, like any good mexican chef my friend pulls out a backpack full of limes, red onion, serrano, and some homemade salsa and we made rooster ceviche right there on the boat. and I gotta say boys, it was delicious!

kept trolling the area a bit more and picked up another one!

We also lost one about 2x this size, I got it all the way to the boat but did not want to gaff it and my friend has no net, so I tried to grab it by the tail, welll.... that didnt go so well and he flipped around and snapped the line, didnt even get a picture! oh well, the one that got away! :fire:

A few days later a good friend of mine and his wife came to visit and I took him out on my little 12ft gregor, we trolled around El Bajo, picked up dinner and bagged my buddies first ever Dorado! Not bad for a little tin can boat, my wife lovingly calls "the bathtub" :lol:

"the bathtub"

Took the Dorado down to our favorite restaurant here in town and they worked their magic turning it into some delicious sashimi and ceviche platters

We headed out again the next day on a local charter here run by my friend, "Nemanchas", to see if we could eek out some of the last dorado in town. Loaded up on sardines at the marina and headed out!

Capt had heard of a good pargo bite down by the mirador so we went to check it out first thing in the AM, slow trolling around with some sardines didnt produce any pargo though we could see some smashing bait near the shoreline, we did manage to pickup plenty of roosters though! Another first for my buddy!

Left them biting there and headed further south past Villa Palmer trolling most of the way hunting for Dorado, picked up one little guy down by the south end of Danzante

Trolled for the rest of the day and picked up one other dink dorado, it was a slow day for all the boats out there.

After trying the rooster the other day with my chef friend and liking it, I decided to give it a go cooking it myself, I had the Capt filet a small rooster up "zarandeado" style where they split the entire fish in 1/2 and remove the spine, basically butterflying an entire fish, then slather the meat in chili, mayo, mustard, soy, and lime. We made a homemade fish cage out of some old chicken wire fence I had around and fired up the mesquite coals

It came out AWESOME!

We grilled up one of the dorado as well but the rooster was the winner of the night!

Next day we headed out to do some snorkeling at one of my secret spots and came across a goldmine of Callo de hacha (axe scallops) and Callo Media luna (half moon scallops), picked up a few chocolates and reynas as well. Combined up with some of the leftover rooster and dorado we were eating good!

headed home!

Took my friend and his wife out one more time in my Gregor down by Juncalito, picked up a few more small roosters on sardines, headed home and dropped them off at the airport! Bon Voyage!

Just got done putting a fish finder and bilge pump on the Gregor last night, need to go test it out so stay tuned for some more reports! :coolup:

[Edited on 10-14-2020 by defrag4]

Driving the PanAmerican Highway
https://www.facebook.com/homeonthehighway/
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2020 at 10:11 AM

Sweet pics. You are living the dream.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2020 at 10:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Sweet pics. You are living the dream.

thanks bud, its a simple life, but we like it :bounce:

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2020 at 10:19 AM

Dig your rig!!
Thanks for the report and pics!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2020 at 10:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BornFisher  
Dig your rig!!
Thanks for the report and pics!

thanks man its an old 1976 12ft Gregor and a mid-90s 2-stroke zuki 9.9

simple rig and it can still ride out 20mph with 2 peeps in there, run all day on $15 of gas

combine it with the 4x4 ranger and we can launch it anywhere there is enough water to float!

CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2020 at 07:07 PM

AWESOME DEFRAG4 absolutely living your best life!

Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2020 at 05:59 AM
Roosterfish?

Thanks for posting your fishing report. Like you I have been fishing many days a week during the virus closures up here in San Diego. Have time on my hands due to company's temp CV closure. We recently had a run on dorado which is slowing down as well.

I'm curious how the roosterfish taste? In the bbq pic they look delicious. Never caught one which I hope to change once the border and ramps open up to fishermen from the north. I have never fished in your part of the world. You seem to have the "world on a string".

Tight lines
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2020 at 09:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lobsterman  
Thanks for posting your fishing report. Like you I have been fishing many days a week during the virus closures up here in San Diego. Have time on my hands due to company's temp CV closure. We recently had a run on dorado which is slowing down as well.

I'm curious how the roosterfish taste? In the bbq pic they look delicious. Never caught one which I hope to change once the border and ramps open up to fishermen from the north. I have never fished in your part of the world. You seem to have the "world on a string".

Tight lines

it was delicious, just like any jack, bleed em quick, cut out the blood line, and grill em up!

Id only try the small ones, I imagine big ones will be all tough and wormed out

Loreto is jammed with them right now, went out again last night and was hooking up one every cast, even the baby ones put up a good fight!

Going out again tomorrow for more!

its cool you guys got some dorado up there in San Diego, i didnt think they made it up that far, what else are you catching up there?

[Edited on 10-15-2020 by defrag4]

Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2020 at 01:32 PM

We are having a banner year. First the bluefin tuna stated a few months ago and is just now giving way to dorado and YFT. All about 30 miles out. Yellowtail are starting to show up in La Jolla. Going for them Saturday. I almost always catch a dinner of rockfish first before I start looking for tuna since you have to go over the top of the rockfish on the way out.
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2020 at 09:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lobsterman  
We are having a banner year. First the bluefin tuna stated a few months ago and is just now giving way to dorado and YFT. All about 30 miles out. Yellowtail are starting to show up in La Jolla. Going for them Saturday. I almost always catch a dinner of rockfish first before I start looking for tuna since you have to go over the top of the rockfish on the way out.

Hell ya, I’ve caught Blackfin in FL and yellowfin in Costa Rica, but never a bluefin!

Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2020 at 12:40 PM
thanks for the report!

Keep em coming. This board used to be plugged with fisher folks.
Many of the old timers are gone now, some forever and some of us are approaching old age too, myself included. That makes your reports so much fun for us to read.

Another generation living life the Baja way and sharing your experiences for us to read and enjoy.

Baja is a wonderful place and Loreto is beautiful with fishing available year round. You picked a good spot to hang out for a bit.

We are headed south soon for a few months to Mag Bay. Rented a house with plenty of yard space for visitors and when we get setup will let you know.

You, as are all nomads, are welcome anytime.
Come on over for a visit and of course, fishing the Pacific and the estuary complex too.

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2020 at 04:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Jorge  
Keep em coming. This board used to be plugged with fisher folks.
Many of the old timers are gone now, some forever and some of us are approaching old age too, myself included. That makes your reports so much fun for us to read.

Another generation living life the Baja way and sharing your experiences for us to read and enjoy.

Baja is a wonderful place and Loreto is beautiful with fishing available year round. You picked a good spot to hang out for a bit.

We are headed south soon for a few months to Mag Bay. Rented a house with plenty of yard space for visitors and when we get setup will let you know.

You, as are all nomads, are welcome anytime.
Come on over for a visit and of course, fishing the Pacific and the estuary complex too.

happy to share bud!

i love reading the stories of the baja legends and only wish i was around back then to see the way it used to be

let me know when you get to town, still need to bag a Wahoo and ive heard stories of the insane Mag bay striped marlin bite!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.