BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Truck question: Honda Ridgeline for Baja?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-20-2020 at 06:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

And it has a car frame. Not a truck frame.

Plus, it looks like a car.

Why does it matter what it looks like? It’s just a vehicle. Only insecure people buy cars based on what they look,like. People that focus on cars appearance are shallow and not worth the time.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-20-2020 at 08:27 AM

Are you drunk this morning or hung over. Or both with that statement:D
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-20-2020 at 06:33 PM

The new Ridgeline has figured out that previous models look too much like a car. So, they changed that. It "looks" more like a truck than it ever has.

I havent seen a new one, except in pics, but the ground clearance on past models has not been great. That can be an issue in Baja.

As far as having a "4WD" badge on it (instead of AWD, which is really what it is), it doesnt have 4 low. Many other mfgrs. pull this same ruse. It's not a traditional 4WD, but, technically, it IS 4WD.

But many people never really need 4 low. AWD with traction control settings can do really well in loose conditions like snow and sand.

If the intended use is for light dirt road driving and mostly pavement, it's not a bad option with it's economy and cab comforts. The below bed storage is pretty cool; surprised more companies haven't done this. Secure, invisible storage. Not easy to accomplish in a truck.

A Ridgeline would be a significant upgrade over an old Mazda or a Ranger, especially in terms of reliability, IMO.

How much horsepower does that engine have? How many gears? Nice to have at least five gears, if you are towing with a six cylinder engine.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 10-21-2020 at 12:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

How much horsepower does that engine have? How many gears? Nice to have at least five gears, if you are towing with a six cylinder engine.

From Edumunds:

"The Ridgeline draws power from Honda's 3.5-liter single-overhead-cam V6, already used in the Pilot, MDX and Odyssey. The cylinder heads are tweaked to provide more power, and variable-length intake runners help boost bottom-end torque. Output is rated at 255 horsepower at 5,750 rpm and 252 lb-ft of torque at 4,500 rpm. A heavy-duty five-speed automatic with a transmission cooler is standard. An all-wheel-drive system (dubbed VTM-4 for Variable Torque Management four-wheel drive) is also standard. Tow capacity is 5,000 pounds, and the Ridgeline can haul 1,550-pound payloads in its bed."

https://www.edmunds.com/honda/ridgeline/2006/review/X

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 10-21-2020 at 03:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

From Edumunds:

"The Ridgeline draws power from Honda's 3.5-liter single-overhead-cam V6, already used in the Pilot, MDX and Odyssey. The cylinder heads are tweaked to provide more power, and variable-length intake runners help boost bottom-end torque. Output is rated at 255 horsepower at 5,750 rpm and 252 lb-ft of torque at 4,500 rpm. A heavy-duty five-speed automatic with a transmission cooler is standard. An all-wheel-drive system (dubbed VTM-4 for Variable Torque Management four-wheel drive) is also standard. Tow capacity is 5,000 pounds, and the Ridgeline can haul 1,550-pound payloads in its bed."

https://www.edmunds.com/honda/ridgeline/2006/review/X

This problem affected my 2006 Pilot with 3.5l V-Tec
Engine Knocking Noise
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2020 at 05:22 AM

AWD? I drive a Honda with the so called AWD. It really is part time AWD. When front wheels are detected to slip then a clutch engages the rear wheels. Not full time AWD like all the competitors have.
Having said that it works fine for that stupid place - like sand and it will drive out of trouble.
The Ridgeline has improved the AWD from the sedan/SUV version so it will work better.
Beware of loading the thing to 1550 lbs and adding a 5000 lb trailer. Those two numbers probably won't work together.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-21-2020 at 05:44 AM

The Honda can tow that light trailer fine....

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 10-21-2020 at 08:00 AM

Don't know how big your trailer is, but the Chevy Colorado ZR-2 Bison AEV, a mid-size truck, has 5,000 lb. towing capacity, 2WD, AWD, 4WD Hi & 4WD low, front and rear lockers, 31" tires but we will upgrade to 33" with re-gearing. We have had it off road in the Sierras, does very well. Will take it to Baja as soon as non-essential travel is legal. We finally sold the 2006 Ford F 250 diesel 4x4, was just too much truck for us older folks.

[Edited on 10-21-2020 by BajaMama]

[Edited on 10-21-2020 by BajaMama]
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2020 at 10:57 AM

The new Ford Ranger has the same details as the Colorado and will tow 7000 lbs.
My F350 wad replaced with a HD F150. Big trucks are hard to live with.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 10-21-2020 at 11:38 AM

I guess I cant figure out why you are talking about FORDS?...My personal car is a Lincoln Town car....looks nothing like a Ridgeline I am having Tuna for lunch....
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2020 at 12:38 PM

That aboy Chuckie like that.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2020 at 12:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

Wouldn't get rid of my 2500HD for anything. Cruises on MX1 in comfort better than any car or truck. Smooth as butter.

Once you have cooled seats you'll never go back.

[Edited on 10-21-2020 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2020 at 10:19 AM

bottom line The Honda is perfect for what it is made for. Just not for everyone like anything else. full size diesel trucks great but not for all. That's why I have both
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-23-2020 at 03:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

They DO get hard to live with. I have lived with one for 15 years now. A non-luxury diesel model with four leafs. How much more can 67 year old organs take? Best if they are a second or even third vehicle.

But I am keeping it. They might be very valuable when Joe and Kamala and AOC institute the Green Screw Deal. Only electric trucks starting at 90K will be allowed. :lol:
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2020 at 03:49 PM

It is hard to knock the Ridgeline. I perfectly suits someone who does not want to move up to a full size truck. Even the mid size trucks are very different and more truck like. The Ridgeline fits nicely below those rigs with similar capability. And it has better manners for the highway and for the people inside. It is a good step above the SUV where its design came from.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-23-2020 at 05:08 PM

Subaru made two "passenger pickups":
In the late 1970s and the 1980s was the BRAT (Bi-Drive, Recreational, Al-Terrain, Transport).

It was an adaptation of the very popular Subaru 4WD Wagon and resembled a mini Chevy El Camino or Ford Ranchero. It had Front Wheel Drive (FWD) to Four Wheel Drive (4WD) with a shift of the lever. In the mid-1980s, they even offered a low range gearbox. I owned three 4WD wagons and a girlfriend had a BRAT that I loved driving. It was very balanced and quite the surprise off road. We even took it to the Matomi waterfalls in 1979. The first generation BRAT had rear-facing seats in the bed with seatbelts and grab handles. This cute feature allowed the BRAT to be imported as an RV instead of as a pickup, avoided some kind of tariff tax and keeping it cheap. A BRAT was featured in the movie Smokey and the Bandit (remember the driving backwards scene?).

In the 1990s, Subaru changed marketing strategies away from the off-road, part-time 4WD models and to the full time "All Wheel Drive" (AWD) format. They no longer offered a low range, either.
From the popular AWD Subaru Outback wagon came the Subaru BAJA! A four-door vehicle with a bed.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 10-24-2020 at 04:28 AM

Doesn't even look like a ridgeline! Why is it on this post?
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2020 at 07:06 AM

i have been a brat fan for years....not to mention Subarus in general.
IMO there is no better winter driving rig. in Alaska i would toss on some steel studded tires and cruise through winter conditions that have pickups all over the road.
BajaGlenn
Nomad

Mood: Missing Baja

[*] posted on 10-24-2020 at 02:26 PM

We have two ridgelines an 06 with 77k and a 13 with 33k miles --Love them both --Never a problem--has switch to lock all 4 wheels under 20miles an hour which i only use when pulling other people out of the sand!! :bounce:

[Edited on 10-24-2020 by BajaGlenn]

[Edited on 10-24-2020 by BajaGlenn]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-24-2020 at 02:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Doesn't even look like a ridgeline! Why is it on this post?

The Ridgeline has no frame like a typical truck does (mentioned above my submission) and the Subarus are also unibody. That is the connection.
Sometimes you can't judge a book by its cover!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.