BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Truck question: Honda Ridgeline for Baja?
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 10-18-2020 at 02:38 PM

My son has a Ridgeline. Has just short of 200k miles on it...Daily driver used as Farm truck pulls trailers, quiet comfortable nothing has broken yet. Been to Baja a couple of times, been to Alaska a couple of times, went to Church today..Gets stuck where the other trucks get stuck..Amusing to read Jizzys comments..Last week he didn't know Honda made trucks...This week he is a Honda truck expert...
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-18-2020 at 02:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
My son has a Ridgeline. Has just short of 200k miles on it...Daily driver used as Farm truck pulls trailers, quiet comfortable nothing has broken yet. Been to Baja a couple of times, been to Alaska a couple of times, went to Church today..Gets stuck where the other trucks get stuck..Amusing to read Jizzys comments..Last week he didn't know Honda made trucks...This week he is a Honda truck expert...

touché!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 10-18-2020 at 02:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

touché!

lol....I'd get one of those 550hp ones like JCR put on B1K podium!:lol:
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2020 at 03:09 PM

Tell your son to get a real truck. Not whatever this thing is:

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2020 at 03:26 PM

DUH! He doesnt want nor need a new truck...
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 10-18-2020 at 05:36 PM

Thanks for all the feedback.

Update on Ridgeline shopping: I took a used 2007 Ridgeline (for sale near me) on a short test drive. New tires, recent brake job, original owner, garaged, in great condition & serviced by Honda dealership- but lots of miles: 260K. Not sure what the engine "lifespan" is on these trucks.

Mechanically: It has a "4WD" logo on the rear: locking rear differential that can be activated manually as needed, and a "responsive" AWD that activates automatically when internal sensors determine it's needed.

Smooth ride- a bit like driving a car, but up high like my bouncy B4000. Interesting blend.

Owner claims he's getting low-20s MPG with the 3.7L V6, which is better than my 4L V6- and it has more HP.

A friend who has sold cars for a living for many years suggested getting it examined at a local shop he uses for pre-purchase checks, and the owner agreed to meet me at the shop, so that's the next step.

To be continued...

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2020 at 06:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
caj, can you describe the four wheel drive system?
Part time 4WD or full time AWD, or selectable?
Is there a low range?
How about a traction system (like Toyota's MTS + CRAWL or A-TRAC)? Is there a locking differential (rear only or front and rear)?
Thank you... and tell us if you have actually have driven it yet where 4WD was needed, like in deep sand.

Good questions David. It has an AWD drive system that engages automatically when it senses tire slippage. But it also can be manually engaged with a single button, you can select sand, snow or gravel .

It does not have a locking differential. i haven't driven it on bury your axle sand, it has been fantastic in snow, and on loose sandy roads as well.

when i really need 4 wd capability for tough stuff - thats why I have a yamaha wolverine side by side. i tow it on a 3000 lb trailer, dont even know its there behind the ridgeline, and I pull it off the trailer when I want to explore/ play in the rough stuff.

The ridgeline only has about 9.5" of ground clearance - so you have to be aware of that.
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 10-18-2020 at 06:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
Is there a low range?
How about a traction system (like Toyota's MTS + CRAWL or A-TRAC)? Is there a locking differential (rear only or front and rear)?
Thank you... and tell us if you have actually have driven it yet where 4WD was needed, like in deep sand.

Good questions David. It has an AWD drive system that engages automatically when it senses tire slippage. But it also can be manually engaged with a single button, you can select sand, snow or gravel .

It does not have a locking differential. i haven't driven it on bury your axle sand, it has been fantastic in snow, and on loose sandy roads as well.

when i really need 4 wd capability for tough stuff - thats why I have a yamaha wolverine side by side. i tow it on a 3000 lb trailer, dont even know its there behind the ridgeline, and I pull it off the trailer when I want to explore/ play in the rough stuff.

The ridgeline only has about 9.5" of ground clearance - so you have to be aware of that.

what are you talking about, thats about the same as a 4wd Tacoma!
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2020 at 07:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
Is there a low range?

what are you talking about, thats about the same as a 4wd Tacoma!

shush, i know, but Im trying to maintain some macho guys T levels, so i pretend its inferior! good for their artificially inflated ego.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-18-2020 at 07:52 PM

The stock 4x4 Tacoma has 9.25" of min ground clearance. At least that was what I measured. With my tires, 9.75" at the lowest points (rear diff & exhaust crossover pipe).
My truck is a 2010, so new models could be different.

Thanks for the details, caj13.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-18-2020 at 08:11 PM

What ever stock truck you are driving, isn't part of the fun in making it go places, and do things that exceed what it was designed for?

It is never a good idea buying a used truck from me, because I do that!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-18-2020 at 08:14 PM

9.25”, 9.5”, 9.75”,...
When women say size doesn't matter, they really mean it.
(But don't tell little jizzy, he wont believe you anyways)

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2020 at 09:30 PM

Did I miss where you described the trailer you would be hauling to Baja with a Ridgeline? It does make a difference how big and heavy it is. A Ridgeline is a small truck, so I assume you also have a small trailer.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2020 at 09:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajarich  
Did I miss where you described the trailer you would be hauling to Baja with a Ridgeline? It does make a difference how big and heavy it is. A Ridgeline is a small truck, so I assume you also have a small trailer.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=95227
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2020 at 06:20 AM

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2020 at 06:35 AM

I don't know how one defines a "small" trailer..? We hauled a 17 foot Prowler to Alaska and back loaded with the usual Guy junk. Prior to leaving we used the "Kansas Farmer" load test.Hook it up,put it in D gas it. If it moves? Drive to Alaska.....
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 10-19-2020 at 02:02 PM

Re:the AWD vs. 4WD- here are the specs from a 2006.

It has a locking rear differential (interesting discussion about that here: https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/threads/is-the-honda-vtm...)

Here's specs re:the trailer.
Acc to manufacturer:
It weighs 2213 lbs (dry).
Hitch is 200.

My current truck (Mazda B400) is rated to tow 5880 lbs (per original owner's manual). It does have a Callen shell on the back, so that has to be taken into account.

Honda Ridgeline towing capaciy: 5000 lbs.

More specs/interior photos of the trailer. The table converts to a queen size bed, and there's a bunk above the table that folds up for travel.

The plan is to start with something small and relatively easy to tow, park, etc., I'll use it on various trips, and if things go well, may consider upgrading to larger space.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2020 at 02:25 PM

It appears that the RL is an refinement to a Passport type vehicle. But the drivetrain is not what truck drivers expect.
No transfer with 4lo. Limited slip transfer and limited slip rear Diff is pretty much means it is not what is expected in a truck.
Not a consideration when there are so many trucks in the same category the operate like a truck.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
10-19-2020 at 04:52 PM
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2020 at 01:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
It appears that the RL is an refinement to a Passport type vehicle. But the drivetrain is not what truck drivers expect.
No transfer with 4lo. Limited slip transfer and limited slip rear Diff is pretty much means it is not what is expected in a truck.
Not a consideration when there are so many trucks in the same category the operate like a truck.

And it has a car frame. Not a truck frame.

Plus, it looks like a car.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2020 at 03:37 AM

Thanks for your input Jizzy. Cold hard fact remains that it works..He doesn't lay awake at night worryin about a QUARTER or HALF inch of ground clearance.....We like the way it looks....AND IT WORKS...And its PAID FOR...It is totally stock.. Except for maybe shocks...Dunno whats on it....AND IT WORKS...Get that part? IT WORKS.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.