Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Why are U.S. Americans called Americans
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-26-2020 at 10:52 AM

The term 'muy codo' is one I hear applied to our brothers from the Great White North... ???

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-26-2020 at 10:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The term 'muy codo' is one I hear applied to our brothers from the Great White North... ???

True....but still better than "gran culo" :biggrin:

[Edited on 10-26-2020 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2020 at 11:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  

True....but still better than "gran culo" :biggrin:

[Edited on 10-26-2020 by motoged]

Rude and Cheap... Both attributed to Canadians by Mexicans and Americans.
Certainly there are exceptions to this. Apparently those exceptions dont travel much. :light:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-26-2020 at 11:26 AM

I have never met a rude Canadian (well until Baja Nomad, anyway)! They are considered as some of the most courteous people, typically... and if you don't agree then you are a HOSER... TAKE OFF!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2020 at 11:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  
In all my travels, I have heard a wide range of terms used to describe citizens from the USA....

Some not so flattering or jingoistic....:lol:

You ought to hear how Americans and Mexicans refer to the Canadians.:D

To our crazy uncle.....(no, not the one in the WH):

I have heard from Mexicans throughout the Mexican mainland as well as Baja, that they often make a distinction between Canadians and USA citizens....and they much prefer the civility and general demeanour of Canadians. They often do not consider Canadians "gringos", but sometimes lump us together.

Even some Nomads have stated that they will describe themselves as Canadians rather than "Americans" when travelling abroad so as to try to dodge the "ugly american" brand.

As Mr. Bill pointed out....we Canadians have earned and deserve such acceptance.....

And he is never wrong.....just ask him :biggrin:

Ged- Classic case of AES (American Envy Syndrome) Dont worry Ged, you can still become an American if you get in line and go through the appropriate process. We would welcome you with open arms. You may even smile more as a result. That's a win for us all!
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2020 at 11:56 AM

arms. You may even smile more as a result. That's a win for us all!

I like parts of the USA for the geography...and have several good friends in the USA....but sure wouldn't stand in line to be a citizen.

Why would you think I am envious of your country? That is simply delusional.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2020 at 12:14 PM

In all the places I've been to in the world I've never hidden the fact I'm an American. Why would I? If you're friendly toward people and don't make an a$$ of yourself there is no need to. In the Philippines I did tell a rude Filipino his daddy was probably a Jap, boy did he get mad.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2020 at 04:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Classic case of AES (American Envy Syndrome)

From a Canadian? You must hang out with a different crowd from the ones I know.

Yeah, the world over can name lots of things Canadians have to be proud of. Hahahaha!
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2020 at 05:14 PM

Yeah, the world over can name lots of things Canadians have to be proud of. Hahahaha!

Do you enjoy watching basketball? Or had you ever enjoyed playing it?

A few other things you probably didn't know:

https://greatcanadiantravel.com/2017/06/30/50-great-things-canada-contributed-to-the-world/

[Edited on 10-27-2020 by motoged]

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2020 at 06:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
In all the places I've been to in the world I've never hidden the fact I'm an American. Why would I? If you're friendly toward people and don't make an a$$ of yourself there is no need to. In the Philippines I did tell a rude Filipino his daddy was probably a Jap, boy did he get mad.

Being an American will get you laid anywhere in the world, always has and always will. When I first started traveling internationally at around 22-23 that was my go to move in Europe.

Many Canadian girls over the years. Probably some Motoged knew in BC, especially around Kelowna. Sorry Motoged, hope they weren't directly related.

[Edited on 10-27-2020 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-26-2020 at 06:07 PM

Great hoser inventions and foods:
Coffee Crisp candy bar
Tim Hortons
Caesar c-cktail
Brunton compass
Snowmobile
Sausage rolls
Beaver tails
Poutine

Artists:
Neil young
BTO
Rush
(Not nickelback!)

Actors:
William shatner
Keanu reeves
Mike Myers
Seth rogen
Dan akroyd
Martin short

Tv shows:
Sorry, none make a ‘greatest” list

CBC deserves special mention, it was amusing Radio news/Entertainment when Working in the boonies of Canada prior to the internet...

[Edited on 10-27-2020 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-26-2020 at 06:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

Being an American will get you laid anywhere in the world, always has and always will. When I first started traveling internationally at around 22-23 that was my go to move in Europe.

I guess when you are only 5’1” you got to rely on your pathetic best to get laid

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2020 at 06:51 PM

Many Mexicans have told me they think Canadians are “cheap baas&#@“
When all the Hong Kong billionaires moved to Vancouver, BC after the Chinese takeover, I thought they were crazy until I found out Canadians are only taxed on money they make in Canada. The US and many other country’s tax all your money regardless of where you make it. Is this Canadian policy still the case?
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2020 at 06:59 PM

Never met a fellow Canadian in my life who wished they were American. Met plenty of Americans who wished they were Canadian, though.
It's hilarious how so many Americans are under the delusion that everyone would move to the US if they could. They have zero idea of how the rest of the world views the US. It definitely isn't with envy. Presently it's generally with pity.

And that "muy codo?" What Americans and Mexicans who say that don't understand is that many Canadians, used to living in a country which actually has reasonable minimum wages, accessible health care and social benefits for all, aren't accustomed to being expected to basically pay the wages of other people's employees by tipping super generously.

Canadian employees of restaurants, etc. certainly appreciate tips, but they aren't going to starve to death or not be able to get needed medical care because someone "only" left a 10% tip.

Tips are supposed to be a reward for good service, not something required because the employer is too cheap to pay their staff a living wage.

[Edited on 10-27-2020 by surabi]
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2020 at 07:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
Many Mexicans have told me they think Canadians are “cheap baas&#@“

Hung out in San Carlos Sonora for about 10 years. In the winter months the place swells by 1/3rd with Canadians. Hook knows the town well.

Have many, many close MX friends. They are polite to the Canucks. But they definitely think they are cheap and boring.

[Edited on 10-27-2020 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2020 at 09:56 PM

Wanna know who's cheap? Well-off Mexicans. They tip poorly and treat their staff like second class citizens. You'd never catch them sitting around drinking beers with the guys who are mixing cement to build their house.

Ask a Mexican worker who's had both experiences if he'd rather work for a Canadian or a wealthy Mexican. The Canadian will win hands down.

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2020 at 10:43 PM

Looking forward to the new Borat movie....

Are folks from Khazikstan better tippers than Lithuanians?

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2020 at 07:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

It's hilarious how so many Americans are under the delusion that everyone would move to the US if they could. They have zero idea of how the rest of the world views the US. It definitely isn't with envy. Presently it's generally with pity.

Pity, yes. But even more - fear.
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2020 at 10:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Tv shows:

Schitt's Creek......award winning tv series.....:light:

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-28-2020 at 03:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Tv shows:

Schitt's Creek......award winning tv series.....:light:

For drama, I always enjoyed "DaVinci's inquest"(sp?) and for comedy, how about "Red Green"? :lol:

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.