Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Alfonsina's
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-21-2020 at 02:31 PM

I would expect a full-on solar power system by now? When have stayed near there (1999-2003) a wind generator hummed all night making power for lights. Ah, the days of Captain Doug Bowles, and Cantina de Floyd! Missing Brandi's happy face... why do we die?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2020 at 03:07 PM

Sure, you can kayak, paddle board, day sail and offroad around there - and about 2,000 miles of Baja coastline too. However, nothing that makes Alfonsinas unique or a hotbed for that or expect that pavement would change things much.
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2020 at 04:57 PM

Lets see- BOLA did have the generator shut off at 10PM. Remember it well.
BOLA also had a desalinization plant for fresh water at one time that they just let go to hell and gone.
You could land and taxi right up to your room at Casa Diaz
If you got there too late Mama said "La cocina es cerado"
Fishing pangas were cheap.
Jim B built his big octagonal 2 story house on the bay.

Papa's in Gonzaga did have an airstrip that I landed on along with Alfonsinas except no tide problems at Paps's
Papa's served turtle quite often when I was there.
Rancho Santa Inez was operating and had AVgas.
Papa (for anyone who actually knew him always said the road was going to be paved "soon".
Puertecitos was a haven for gringos from up north.

As far as the "good ol' days" go- are we to deny the locals the chance to improve their position in life just because we want to return to our youth?
The new road can be good and bad per your position in your life or theirs.
If things get better for them at the sacrifice of my memories so be it and I wish them well as they move up in life.

Does anyone really feel that either place will be another Cabo? They have languished in poverty for 300 years. I don't see much happening but small changes in my lifetime.

Nothing killed Baja more than the war on drugs!

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2020 at 05:51 PM

No, not Cabo, and I wish them well too - not at all saying I want them to remain in the static good ole' days - but how many big plans have been announced - so-and-so bought up all of [ ] to build a _____; and never came to fruition. That's just objective truth. I'm just saying he's got a good thing going, could be improved upon to draw more customers. But "build it and they will come" is too risky for that spot. Tourist travel has been restricted, and likely won't come all the way back for at least another year.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2020 at 02:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
This is exactly what I expected: development. I was reporting, not promoting.

Not true. You can go back through the archives and see your posts on the benefits of development and paving of this area and throughout baja. And now that it's happened you lament the past? Your views were shortsighted back then. It's too late to cry about it now after the fact.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-22-2020 at 08:10 AM

I am not crying, lol.
While the benefits of paving are obvious, I don't recall where I made any deal over it, beyond reporting road conditions. I certainly never promoted a paved road since I am one who agrees with Mama Espinoza's famous quote, "Bad Roads Bring Good People... Good Roads Bring ALL Kinds of People".

Storytelling about how it was in the past is what history is. While those of us who experienced non-paved roads are dying off, isn't it nice to hear how it was from people who lived it?
In writing my book about the missions of Baja, I used the writings of those alive at the time whenever possible to tell the history of a mission's founding, construction, location, etc.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-23-2020 at 06:24 AM

...why do we die?

While those of us who experienced non-paved roads are dying off,....

Sounds like you are getting into the spirit of Halloween

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

RobR77

[*] posted on 4-11-2021 at 09:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
Pavement or no, that area is fished out, and there's nothing else there for tourists. Looks great as an eco-hotel as seen in first photo. Stop-over out of Felipe for a change of pace, but I can't see it as a go-to destination. What would be the elements for a hoped-for "resort"? Swimming pool, golf course, spa with massage? A lot of maintenance for the occasional tourist. I'm with David - my dad had a trailer/palapa shared with a couple guys from LA - flew in. That's my idea of Baja. Lots could be done to attract more patrons who live in the general proximity - live music, fish dinner specials, fishing specials - heck, sign me up for that - I'd take a detour off Mex 1. No need to go "whole hog" without seeing what the pavement will bring. Necessity would be key.

Agreed, and there are many ideas elsewhere that you can create.

[Edited on 4-12-2021 by RobR77]
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 4-12-2021 at 11:00 AM

There have been several different articles about studies done of the potential wind generating power available off shore between Puertecitos and Gonzoga. Prior to COVID a friend had his house rented to an engineer who was to work on large wind generators south of Puertecitos.

The plan discussed was similar to what has happened over at Tecate where the wind farm is tied into the US grid and the size is being doubled. Apparently the amount of power available is quite large.

Such a project(s) would electrify a very large area along the coast and provide opportunities for employment outside of fishing and drug transport.

Perhaps someone at Alfonsina’s thinks they know something! “Get your bucket Joe says it’s going to rain money for green power”!
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 4-12-2021 at 02:41 PM

lol...anyone else remember being kept awake by that single wind generator with shot bearings above the kitchen at Alfies?
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2021 at 03:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  

You could land and taxi right up to your room at Casa Diaz

Fishing pangas were cheap.

Puertecitos was a haven for gringos from up north.

If things get better for them at the sacrifice of my memories so be it and I wish them well as they move up in life.

Nothing killed Baja more than the war on drugs!

+1

John
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2021 at 03:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Such a project(s) would electrify a very large area along the coast and provide opportunities for employment outside of fishing and drug transport.
Along the coast, if you have power, you also (can) have fresh water. :light:

+1

John
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.