Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Second Half of November Mexicali Crossing
Doug Landolfi
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2020 at 09:18 AM
Second Half of November Mexicali Crossing

I plan to cross at Mexicali some time between Nov 18 - 22. I will be heading down the Gulf Coast for about 30 days.

I plan to take my time, and my eventual goal is Cabo Pulmo for scuba diving.

I have a 2018 Tacoma Off Road and a hardside A frame popup camper.

Anyone planning a Gulf coast camping trip with similar timing?
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2020 at 09:29 AM

Very jealous. Make sure you post some pics here.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-21-2020 at 09:37 AM

Be aware the Baja 1000 is running then and Mexicali to Matomi Wash might be busy with race traffic one of those days... See the B1K map post in the Off Roading forum here.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Doug Landolfi
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2020 at 10:35 AM

Thanks so much David - I will explore the dates and routes of that huge event.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2020 at 10:41 AM

Are you looking for a share-the-cost passenger or a caravan situation? Take your time doing what?
Doug Landolfi
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2020 at 10:43 AM

Looks like the Baja1000 route comes close to the 5 in a few places between San Felipe and Puertacitos. This could add a cool - and fortuitous - element to my trip - to see and experience the race! Thanks again
Doug Landolfi
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2020 at 10:45 AM

I am curious whether there might be one or more other vehicles heading down - a possible caravan-type situation. I am going to take my time camping, fishing, boating, hiking, exploring, snorkeling, looking at the night sky .... :)
WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2020 at 12:25 PM

Doug, the race does come close to the gulf but the race traffic won’t be passing that area until the late evening hours. Probably see the first truck through Matomi around 10 pm. Motorcycles might come through around 6 at the earliest
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 10-21-2020 at 01:37 PM

Seeing the trucks run 100 mph at night is not easily forgotten. Great fun.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2020 at 02:23 PM

San Felipe is around the halfway point (500 miles)... Depending when the classes start, the fastest bikes and the fasted trucks will be there about 9-10 hours from when they start.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Doug Landolfi
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2020 at 06:49 AM

Thank you again for all of the great advice and guidance! I have been told that those who travel to and love Baja are nice and helpful, and you are proving that to be true.
bajafreaks
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days !!!

[*] posted on 10-22-2020 at 02:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Doug Landolfi  
Thank you again for all of the great advice and guidance! I have been told that those who travel to and love Baja are nice and helpful, and you are proving that to be true.

This site is an amazing tool for traveling Baja.
As far as I'm concerned crossing at Mexicali West is the best.
Safe Travels.
Mother of Dragons
Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 10-26-2020 at 02:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Be aware the Baja 1000 is running then and Mexicali to Matomi Wash might be busy with race traffic one of those days... See the B1K map post in the Off Roading forum here.

David, do you mean it’s bad time of the year to go through Mexicali on Doug’s date?
When do they cross to pacific side?
I’m clueless on 1000 route.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2020 at 04:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mother of Dragons  

David, do you mean it’s bad time of the year to go through Mexicali on Doug’s date?
When do they cross to pacific side?
I’m clueless on 1000 route.

The race is just over a 2-day period and the major activity is in Ensenada. It all happens very fast but the hundreds of race vehicles (including motorcycles) are spread out.

Just expect slower drive times if you want to just pass through. San Felipe will be the most congested on Race Day.

The off-road race (the world's most famous, since 1967) uses small parts of highways to travel on and do so at reduced speed. The spectator and chase/pit teams on the highway moving along with their race car or bike is the most concern.

Look at the map, south of Mexicali, about Km. 86 (by the sand dunes) and down to Km. 60, south of San Felipe (Arroyo Matomi) is where the action will be.

Doug Landolfi
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2020 at 07:17 AM

Thanks David K. VERY helpful. I realize it will be crazy for those few days, but could be a lot of fun if I am in the right place at the right time :)
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2020 at 10:24 AM

Strangely enough, there were no "Declare" lanes, only "No Declare" lanes at Mexicali West recently.

There were however multiple SAT/Aduana/Customs folks present.

bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2020 at 12:10 PM

Declare area is to the left under the covered parking before you get to the lanes. Similar situation at Tijuana. Then you get to go through the lanes and (maybe) get checked again by the folks in the "No Declare" lanes.
matthew_mangus
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2020 at 04:23 PM

Look at the map, south of Mexicali, about Km. 86 (by the sand dunes) and down to Km. 60, south of San Felipe (Arroyo Matomi) is where the action will be.

David, do you have any advice on a good place to post up and see some action. Would venturing up the wash a bit be a good idea? I'll be in a Land Cruiser with good AT tires aired down. I'm carrying extraction gear and have onboard air.

I like to explore remote dirt tracks and beaches.
matthew_mangus
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2020 at 04:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Doug Landolfi  
I plan to cross at Mexicali some time between Nov 18 - 22. I will be heading down the Gulf Coast for about 30 days.

I plan to take my time, and my eventual goal is Cabo Pulmo for scuba diving.

I have a 2018 Tacoma Off Road and a hardside A frame popup camper.

Anyone planning a Gulf coast camping trip with similar timing?

Doug, I'll be camping in the area between Monday the 16th and up through the race. I'm in a Land Cruiser with a white hardshell RTT. I'm likely either going to be on the estuary just S of Percebu or up in one of the more established camps S of San Felipe like Pete's. Feel free to DM me and we can trade Whatsapp contact info.

I like to explore remote dirt tracks and beaches.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2020 at 06:15 PM

Find a place with some jumps or rough driving so you will see more than a whoosh and a cloud of dust.
Have a way to leave without using the racecourse.
Park away from the course as flying rocks and racers can hit you if too close.
I think any place after Mile 400 will be at night except for the bikes which start much earlier than the trucks and buggies.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.