BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Jamul south for surfing and boating.
steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2020 at 08:56 PM
Jamul south for surfing and boating.

Hey Everyone. Thanks for the pointers on my Baja travels - past and present. Just got back from surfing on the Pacific side and then beaching/boating on our way back up on the Sea of Cortez side. All in all a great trip. Here in October it didn't seem to me that travel was lessened much due to Covid. Many hotels and campgrounds full at whatever capacity they could offer. Many people wearing masks although in the smaller towns - many not wearing masks. Today we drove to the border from San Felipe to Mexically and cars were literally streaming south. Below is a pic of El Cardon surf spot. Apparently we missed good swells for all of our surfing. The best I could do was maybe shoulder high one day most was knee to waist.
Doug Landolfi
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2020 at 11:24 AM

Hi Steve. Thanks for your report. I will be heading through Mexicali and San Felipe heading south to along the Gulf to Cabo Pulmo in about 1 month from now. Could the cars streaming south have anything to do with the Baja1000 which starts 3 weeks from now? Were they pulling all sorts of off-road vehicles on trailers? Doug
steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2020 at 06:40 PM

Hey Doug, some off road looking rigs but mostly tourist looking people. Cars stuffed with young men going to the beach is what mostly struck me.

Also, I started the trip report and struggled with pictures. I need to get back to it and give a proper report.

Steve
steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2020 at 06:57 PM

We spent 4 days at El Cardon in the seven sisters. Surf was knee to waist. Gorgeous Beach north and south. Met another surfer here but mostly on our own. That was a LONG dirt section to tow our fragile boat. Took forever.

[Edited on 10-29-2020 by BajaNomad]
steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2020 at 07:04 PM

Went from El Cardone down to San Ignacio. Had a very nice night that we spent at a Yurt place in San Ignacio. Left our boat stored there for $5/night and left the next morning for Scorpion Bay.

Scorpion Bay had maybe 8-12 campers on the Bluff. Surf was waist to maybe chest. Crowd was friendly restaurants open. stayed 6 days. Did some exploring by buggy and beach combing.

[Edited on 10-29-2020 by steve5555]

steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2020 at 07:06 PM

the picture above was point 3 at Scorpion Bay.
steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2020 at 07:14 PM

Sorry those pictures are so huge. Does everyone see them that size too?

Leaving Scorpion Bay the low road back to San Ignacio I broke both leaf springs on my trailer. I assume one broke then the other. The trailer was near capacity and in hind site I was beating it pretty hard on the drive. We found a welder in San Ignacio and had our single negative interaction as I felt I got ripped off by the welder that repaired my trailer. I had asked how much to repair and he replied he would know till he got into it. As it turned out he fixed it and then wanted $400 to install 2 used springs he had on an old trailer. He DID have to weld on 2 tabs but it seemed like a lot of money for 1.5 hours of work. On the other hand it was fixed and remained fixed for the rest of our trip.
steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2020 at 07:19 PM

Leaving San Ignacio we headed to Bay of Conception. As you know the beaches here are gorgeous. We ended up at the south end of the bay so that we could get a little further from the road noise at the camp grounds on the north end. Our camp ground was called "La Perla". I think 200 pesos per night per vehicle. We were able to help a group from San Bruno who didn't have a stove when their girl was struck by a sting ray. Two Mexican families and our group fo 2 in the little cove. Quite enjoyable.

steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2020 at 07:21 PM

La Perla

steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2020 at 07:32 PM

Leaving Conception Bay we drove down to Loreto. Ended up south of Loreto in Ligui on the public beach. We showed up on a Sunday night to a boisterous beach crowd. By Monday morning most everyone was gone. My brother was keeping an eye on a couple Mexican tourists in a kayak that was having trouble getting back from the island offshore. He ended up searching for them in our zodiac and then carrying them back stuffed in the Zodiac.

We caught a couple 5 pound Doradoes and a single football sized skippy. Pretty happy here but on our 3rd day the local police showed up and told us no camping. Not sure if that was COVID related or what but we packed up and left for BOLA. The guy was super accommodating and gave us all day to leave.

steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2020 at 07:41 PM

Some years ago you guys had pointed me to La Gringa in BOLA. As our final destination we camped there for 3 nights. It was just perfect. Cool nights and warm water. Internet in town and shopping. MOGas. Swam with some Whale sharks and explored in our buggy.

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2020 at 07:45 PM

Awesome report, pictures are huge but there are pictures! The repair was over priced at US prices and highway robbery in Mexico! Please post or u2u me so I can avoid the crook. ,
steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2020 at 07:50 PM

All in all a great trip. Ive never had 3 weeks off work in 34 years of employment. At the start of this trip I was wondering if I would get bored or stir crazy. By the end of the trip none of us wanted it to end!

We went through the border at Calexico on a Saturday at 11am. 45 minute wait and no hassle whatsoever. The CBP lady was super nice.

Thanks again for all of the pointed Baja Mexico advice over the years.

Steve
steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2020 at 08:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Awesome report, pictures are huge but there are pictures! The repair was over priced at US prices and highway robbery in Mexico! Please post or u2u me so I can avoid the crook. ,

I know! But he had done the work and his boss was demanding 8000 pesos. It was upsetting but I didn't really feel I had much alternative but to pay. Here is my broken trailer. Below that is the welder in San Ignacio. Later I heard from the Yurt guy that Lopez welding is known for vastly overcharging. I just had to suck it up and move on emotionally.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2020 at 08:16 PM

Excellent report and pictures, thanks. As to the welder it's best to take it as a teaching moment and move on. You'll know better next time. Sometimes you have no choice.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2020 at 08:19 PM

As to the size of the pictures David K posted on how to keep them smaller.

Paste the Photobucket link on Nomad as before, then add =800x right after the first IMG of the link.
Lengua
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2020 at 09:08 PM

I like the big pictures
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-29-2020 at 05:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by steve5555  

Yes, they are huge and off the screen for standard monitors.
Not to fear, you can fix that... TMW mentioned how, as well...

Click Edit
In the photo link, add to the tag [img] so it looks like [img=800x] as the max size on Nomad is 800 pixels vs Photobucket's 1024 pixels.

Here is a photo at 800:

The host here, Doug (BajaNomad) may fix these if you don't.

Many of us left Photobucket when they took away the resize option and charged for hosting. A free site with a resize feature is www.postimages.org

[Edited on 10-29-2020 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-29-2020 at 06:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by steve5555  

Leaving Scorpion Bay the low road back to San Ignacio I broke both leaf springs on my trailer. I assume one broke then the other. The trailer was near capacity and in hind site I was beating it pretty hard on the drive.

Pics render fine on my iPad — iPad seems to know how to resize pics by itself.

Re trailer, I see so many leaf spring trailers with broken springs. I have only had torsion axles in my most recent trailers, I like torsion axle suspension, they are better/smoother on rough roads
When you take trailers on bumpy roads, it pays to travel slowly. Typical trailers really aren’t very good for bumpy roads...

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2020 at 06:54 AM

Doug must have fixed the pics. Thanks for that. Also DK thanks for the new photo hosting site!

Steve
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.