BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Dodge Ram Drive Cycle Problems ?
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 10-26-2020 at 09:24 AM
Dodge Ram Drive Cycle Problems ?

Anybody have experience with their Dodge Ram failing to complete a "Drive Cycle" O2 sensor reset within the expected time after a computer reprogram OR replacing a dead battery ?
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 10-26-2020 at 11:44 AM

*** We are sorry,but this forum only replies to questions on Toyota Tacomas ****
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2020 at 12:14 PM

Have you tried cycling the ignition switch? So vehicles reset after a certain number of ignition cycles.

John
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-26-2020 at 12:19 PM

i had that problem when i owned the dodge diesel

you need to go to the dealer and "flash" the computer

talking to dodge they told me its a computer software problem

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2020 at 09:28 AM

how convenient
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 10-27-2020 at 12:15 PM
Flashing ...............

........... Was the problem.

Early in the year, I received a recall notice regarding a required reprogram necessary because "some" affected computers were incorrectly retaining errors.

At a regular service in April, the dealer was supposed to do the "flash", but ended up saying that they didn't have the ability at the time.

Taking the vehicle in 16 Oct for the next regular service, the reprogram was included.

With registration renewal due 31 Oct and a smog cert required, I then took the truck in AND ............... was told that the Drive Cycle was incomplete. That the O2 sensor wasn't ready and that I could keep bringing it in for a scanner test or buy my own OBDII scanner to test readiness.

????????

Back to querying the dealer was an "Oh Yeah" moment. Being told that the required cycling "could" take hundreds of miles and was given a printout of the "suggested" dealer method of expedited cycling:

RUN MONITORS

Run the following EXACTLY as written two times.

1. Make sure that fuel level is between 15 and 85 percent.

2. Start vehicle, warm up and go to Freeway.

3. Drive 60 mph in high gear for five minutes, this should pass the upstream monitor.

4. Drive 70 mph for at least five minutes, lift foot from accelerator and decelerate (without braking) to 55 mph.

Repeat two times.

5. Stop and let vehicle idle for one minute. This should pass the downstream O2 monitor.

6. Turn vehicle off and remove key. Posting of the monitor is done at power down.

7. Wait two minutes and restart vehicle. You should now be ready.

YEAH , RIGHT.
The dealer rep's parting comment was "It doesn't always work".

SO .......... I bought an OBDII scanner and "attempted" to follow those instructions during a 100-mile r.t. No Luck.

Same trip repeated yesterday. "O2 sensor ready !"

Down to the shop this a.m.

A-OK. Registration's in the mail.

And, I now know far more than I wanted to (and will likely never need) about OBDII.

Also probably never need the scanner again, but Quien Sabe ? Thankfully, it was under 30 bucks.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2020 at 12:36 PM

Bill I think everyone should have an OBDII tester. They are not that expensive. Are they a must have item, no. But they sure come in handy when that light comes on.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.