Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: How to run a safe 4WD run in 2021
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

question.gif posted on 10-26-2020 at 09:42 PM
How to run a safe 4WD run in 2021

Last week, I was asked to inbox a serious 4 wheeler who wants to run Pole Line Road. Earlier in the summer, a pair of magazine individuals asked me the same. Momentum is building after 16 years of leading the same run to make it all happen again.

Then, there is the fact that reality is stranger than fiction.

In 2019, months after announcing my 9 day trail bonanza, an 'exploratory' Baja run surfaced, whose sole purpose was to "tag along" in a semi-serious fashion. Its members stocked up on copious amounts of beer while neglecting the requirements I reviewed for several weeks preceding the run.

When the run happened along the road to Cohabuzo Junction, a group of 5 rigs appeared out of nowhere. Its members enthusiastically purchased the last remaining 'El Imposible' t-shirts and hoodies, then asked us if we had gasoline to spare as they were all on empty and couldn't continue, as they weren't sure they could adequately make it back to Mexicali to the nearest Pemex.

We crossed paths with this hapless group of Jeeps and Tacoma's - the wife of one of the drivers complaining loudly that she couldn't tolerate the rough dirt roads of Baja. WTF?

All of this would make anyone laugh out loud over a cerveza and beef jerky, but in this day and age, the question becomes - who is responsible for transport in the event someone develops symptoms? We were lucky to have a Surgeon in out party, but Virology and Surgery are two different animals, typically with entirely different outcomes.

A concern of mine is having someone develop symptoms of the virus, display symptoms, not be allowed to cross POE into USA, and need immediate vehicle storage of infected auto. Not a good scenario, but one that I would have to solve in my mind before thinking about a run date, promotions and the actual announcement.

I have read this virus will eventually become endemic begging the question, if it isn't going away, then why bother postponing events if everyone were to get tested and safely distance for the run? The problem is, coming into contact with strangers who planned on tackling the same trails you promoted on the back of a t-shirt and wine bottle that forgot to bring gasoline but over compensated with cases of beer and complaining spouses.

I don't want to call this, "the end" of trail runs as I have come to lead in Baja since the late 90's, but they have become exponentially complex since my last large scale pair of runs in February of this year.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-26-2020 at 09:52 PM

Don’t invite people you don’t know.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-26-2020 at 10:27 PM

Got to limit who goes. Perhaps make everyone get tests before going. You can get the results in 10-15 mins these day.

Don't stop living life. Just be more cautious.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-26-2020 at 10:29 PM

Ken I'm faced with this all the time. My fellow mc riders from CA been coming here riding . With me from first reports of coivd. You bet I worry as my small town has no sick people. With Ca being a hot bed of sick ones. So do we hide in a shack for the next 10 years. Only thing we can do is talk on phone to ask . How they feel use all safety measures.Also I limit just two at a time. if your thinking a big group from CA that would worry me. Unless your far apart difficult to due with big group.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 10-26-2020 at 10:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Got to limit who goes. Perhaps make everyone get tests before going. You can get the results in 10-15 mins these day.

Don't stop living life. Just be more cautious.

The reality is not everyone likes playing by the rules (I.e. - "tyranny"). These are some good tips, however.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 10-27-2020 at 07:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Ken I'm faced with this all the time. My fellow mc riders from CA been coming here riding . With me from first reports of coivd. You bet I worry as my small town has no sick people. With Ca being a hot bed of sick ones. So do we hide in a shack for the next 10 years. Only thing we can do is talk on phone to ask . How they feel use all safety measures.Also I limit just two at a time. if your thinking a big group from CA that would worry me. Unless your far apart difficult to due with big group.

Don't need to worry much about me. Been tested every week since March. Mandatory at work.
ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2020 at 07:26 AM

Just attended the 4lo fiesta in San Felipe. Had a great time even though usually I prefer a very small group. 43 vehicles participated. I think they said 91 people.
I can't sit home and be scared while life passes me by. Take care of yourself.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2020 at 08:47 AM

Yes. Ed true words any chance we ride this year. winter has arrived now cold can do tight trails again.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2020 at 10:09 AM

Ken, Never give out the time/date of your trips publicly. Or keep the time/date very broad except for those invited to attend.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-27-2020 at 10:20 AM

Screening is crucial and Covid testing is a great idea.
But on a trip like that ANYTHING could happen which could be far worse than covid. So having contingency plans are important...evacuation plan, good first aid kit and person, reliable communications in the event of an accident etc.

Go for it, have fun....ya never know when your expiry date comes up

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2020 at 10:28 AM

Good comments.
Make sure at least one person attending has an InReach device.
ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2020 at 11:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Yes. Ed true words any chance we ride this year. winter has arrived now cold can do tight trails again.

Heck ya we will ride. I plan on coming down sometime around November 19th
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2020 at 02:30 PM

I can see why many people come uninvited. I can see why Ken is one great person to tag along. The one and only trip I did with Ken I had no idea what to expect. All Baja nomads on this trip real good people. How I handle the locals that want to ride on our long multiple day .Over night rides I ask does your moto have (Many. tools spares; large gas tank ect.) The answer from the locals why do we need that. :light: I kindly tell them next time please. One rider ruining it for all.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 10-27-2020 at 02:45 PM
There is always one

More than 20 annual treks, with a wide variety of guys who have been in the various groups.
As many as 16, as few as 4 (4 is a pretty good number, actually)

Even though they are all friends, long time mostly, there is always one guy that never quite gets with the program.
He is the one that grabs a book and a beer while the rest of us set up camp
The one that has an urgent mission after dinner when dishes need to be done.
The one that is always headed back into the gas station for "something" while everyone is gassed and ready.
We have one, in particular.
Guess who left his hand in the door when our leader closed it?
Yep, took the tip right off.
He once somehow led the pack coming out of a Bakersfield gas stop as we were headed south, and turned right (North) on 99.
He is the guy that refuses to pass anyone between Camalu and Los Pinos. Even tractors and bicycles, just trudges along.
Great guy,
but always there is one....
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-27-2020 at 03:47 PM

There are only two of us in my group. I am sure my dog thinks that I am "the one" that just can't get it together, but she doesn't complain! :rolleyes:

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2020 at 04:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
More than 20 annual treks, with a wide variety of guys who have been in the various groups.

Even though they are all friends, long time mostly, there is always one guy that never quite gets with the program.
The one that is always headed back into the gas station for "something" while everyone is gassed and ready.
He once somehow led the pack coming out of a Bakersfield gas stop as we were headed south, and turned right (North) on 99.
He is the guy that refuses to pass anyone between Camalu and Los Pinos. Even tractors and bicycles, just trudges along.
Great guy,

hahaha. You are so right. Maybe not to that extreme though.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-27-2020 at 04:10 PM

Oh my, I hate THAT guy! LOL

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-27-2020 at 04:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

Great guy,

Ken is running tour groups. If you run a tour group, or participate on a tour group, you should not be surprised to be in a tour group.
Tour provider should have contingency plans and emergency plans, and be prepared to save people’s butts — it goes with the job.
If you don’t like tour groups having a mix of people, some which may be annoying or slow or needy or whatever, then don’t go with a tour group, do your own small trip with friends.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-27-2020 at 04:51 PM

When you organize and lead a 4x4 caravan, each participant must be responsible just as if they were traveling solo.
The purpose of a caravan is to see places you might otherwise not get to... safety in numbers, and all that. Having fun with like-minded off-roaders is another bonus.
Too many in your caravan really bogs down the ability to do as much as planned. Each time you make a stop, it becomes more of an issue to get rolling again. Around 10 vehicles is a good maximum, I think.

The power in numbers thing does mean if there is a problem with one of the vehicles (like the Ford in the 2015 Pole Line Run or Neal Johns' Tacoma's [non-stock] rear-differential failing on the 2010 Mission Santa María trip), no one is left behind. Do make sure your vehicle is trail-worthy and checked out, with good tires, before joining a caravan.

We have had some great Amigos de Baja/ Baja Nomad caravans from a day trip to a 10 day trip.

[Edited on 10-27-2020 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2020 at 06:44 PM

On a paid tour yes leader or collector of money. Tour operator has to be ready for broken people and trucks. Ken does not collect money so he has no responsibility. I invited two other 4x4 to go on pole line run .As my back up as luck would have it the bronco broke down. Due to one China man part so it was my responsibility to tow him out. if I remember there was a v8 powered ranger and a blazer broke down also. They where buddy's so they did get out on there own. Correct me david if I'm wrong . Was it the ranger that dropped the whole exhaust set up? Something with the old blazer acting up.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.