Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Need feedback from local Baja nomads on virus conditions
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-5-2020 at 07:44 PM

I have only been in La Paz a week and a half, and my perspective is very limited. I have no intention of going down town, the Malecon, or any other attractions, but in the limited venue I am taking part in, I have noticed a few things.

While the sanitation and distancing is more widely practiced than I expected, it is not universal.

It is a bit harder to find an isolated beach to visit, since a lot of locals are doing that as well.

In the first 12 hours here, I had two encounters with the police (one federal, one municipal) and neither would come within ten feet of the drivers window.
They asked a few questions, did not want to handle my license or papers, and sent me on my way.

I am not following local news, but I asked my dentist today if she thought the infections are trending up, or down. She said it is going up, and coached me a bit about caution and protection.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-5-2020 at 08:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I have only been in La Paz a week and a half, and my perspective is very limited. I have no intention of going down town, the Malecon, or any other attractions, but in the limited venue I am taking part in, I have noticed a few things.

While the sanitation and distancing is more widely practiced than I expected, it is not universal.

It is a bit harder to find an isolated beach to visit, since a lot of locals are doing that as well.

In the first 12 hours here, I had two encounters with the police (one federal, one municipal) and neither would come within ten feet of the drivers window.
They asked a few questions, did not want to handle my license or papers, and sent me on my way.

I am not following local news, but I asked my dentist today if she thought the infections are trending up, or down. She said it is going up, and coached me a bit about caution and protection.

Pandemic is spiking all over USA and Europe, where there are reliable public health stats. Would expect the same spike to be occurring in Mexico, particularly as Mexico followed trumps lead and is managing the pandemic by saying “it is what it is” and doing little to nothing while waiting for a magic bullet (vaccine) :no: :mad::(

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 11-6-2020 at 01:11 PM

here are the numbers in detail - broken down into the smallest communities (La Bocana has one)
La Paz has the highest death rate on the planet - 1003 per million
https://coronavirus.bcs.gob.mx/casos-covid-19/

Harald Pietschmann
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2020 at 01:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

La Paz has the highest death rate on the planet

yikes!

I see that mexico in world-wide rankings is:
#10 in deaths per 100K population for covid (usa is #13)

on the brighter side, things are looking up in usa, as trump is on his way out, and biden is on his way in -- usa will soon stop playing politics with covid response, and take a science-based approach (and wear the flocking mask!) :bounce:
hopefully, when usa starts acting properly in response to covd, mexico will follow too :light:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 11-7-2020 at 04:10 AM

We’re currently in Todos Santos. The town is full of tourists! Came through La Paz earlier Friday. Most people are wearing masks. No sanitary checks between the U.S. border and Todos Santos. The general lack of regard for cleanness in Mexico seems to be changing for the better. As to the widely used {in Baja) shoe disinfectant mats, the Japanese and others long ago released that foot coverings can bring things into your home that you might not wish to be there. Clean rooms have used tack Mats for generations. The market in San Felipe now scans your temperature, requires a mask, cleans your hands and disinfects the bottoms of your shoes. Since SF has no hospital of note, prevention seems a reasonable idea. These policies work for a variety of other diseases like hepatitis which are widespread in Mexico!

I’ll post a driving report later today, but San Felipe to Todos Santos was an easy drive with one overnight stop. For those worried about tourists being sent back or burned alive by locals with torches and pitchforks, not so much!

Baja Sur is a great place to spend the next few years in exile! Come on down and wait out the Potemkin Presidency in style! The beer is cold and the air is still warm!

Oldbajabilly

[*] posted on 11-7-2020 at 04:58 AM

We came up to scorpion bay , San Juanico, to catch the late season swell. Wow, it is wall to wall people, from So Cal, NorCal, Mexico,Argentina, and more. Few if any masks being worn, no requirement for masks in stores, no temp checks; sure a lot different here vs. Cabo. The public restrooms at the point had 5 people in them, no precaution, there was poop tp laying in the open basket ( feces is a huge coronavirus host, as well as other chit)
Guess there are no cases here, but if I were a betting man I say get readySan juanico
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2020 at 07:42 AM

Things are great in BCS, fresh food, great weather for sailing and no politics, but we do have restrictions, unfortunately, there is a tendency to put people in charge of entering business who are over do it, seniors over 60 are often turned away from stores, families and couples may not enter together, no children, etc. but, beaches and outdoor dining remains open at limited capacity.

This week temperatures are dropping into the 60s at night and 70s Ito low 80's in the day.

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2020 at 08:08 AM

hey kid, have you entertained the notion that your denial of entry to certain stores might have nothing to do with your age? perhaps they just think of you as an undesirable.

[Edited on 11-7-2020 by pacificobob]
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2020 at 09:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
hey kid, have you entertained the notion that your denial of entry to certain stores might have nothing to do with your age? perhaps they just think of you as an undesirable.

[Edited on 11-7-2020 by pacificobob]

It has been a grand tradition here on Baja Nomads for seniors to be acerbic, obnoxious, insulting and irrational. I applaud your attempt to continue in the tradition of Bill, Goat, Hook et all.

I also respect general CV safety requirements, my comment about denial of access is directed at SENIOR BAJA NOMADS 60+, who may be surprised by attempts of denial of entry to some stores like OXXO, grocery stores, Home Depot, though these issues are largely caused by overly aggressive temporary security attempting to enforce their perception of COVID restrictions.

Plan ahead, walk in separately if going with family of friends. Kids and pregnant women are genially not allowed in big box stores. Women who appear larger are questioned if they are pregnant?

Each week there are also reports of business being fined high penalties such as 300,000 pesos for covid restriction violations and subsequent closure. Such as exceeding 30-40% capacity, or workers failing to wear masks. 3 out 10 restaurants have closed reportedly in BCS..

Pueblos are more pleasant than cities like La Paz due to restrictions. Malecon La Paz is closed in early evening on Friday, Saturday Sunday and often times Malecon beach access is closed temporarily with yellow ribbon only to be opened later. There are random police acting aggressively making requests to passerby to maintain distance etc. There are also many reported denuncias against aggressive behavior by police and door security, for example Autozone had some thugs threatening seniors, grabbing them and pushing them, your milege may vary.

Generally, it seems, seniors are being picked on a bit, unreasonably. It's possible to ignore aggressive questioning about your age security and enter as normal and not engage.

[Edited on 11-7-2020 by gnukid]
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 11-7-2020 at 10:03 AM
Beyond Tradition

Call me exceptional !

While I might be included among those who are consistently acerbic in their contributions and assessments, I would point out that MY attitude and expressions are NOT a result of age.

I have been described as a "sarcastic, obnoxious, anti-social S.O.B." since (at least) my teen years.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2020 at 10:04 AM

i know a ton of seniors...this is the first i have heard of such.......are you SURE its not just you?
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2020 at 11:05 AM

I'm age related high risk and accept that. Don't think about it much and it doesn't drive my lifestyle or behavior.

That said, few years ago, I got pneumonia while in Pescadero. Started as bronchitis and a month later, I was at the hospital every day to get a shot and monitored.

While many say come on down, waters fine, beer is cold, there are reports about curfews and precautions taking place that, to me, is a warning. Things are borderline and CV can go either way.

If I had to get treated for CV, Baja is not the place where I want to be. Doubt I could be treated effectively and doubt I could make it NOB. Guess I could die anywhere but Baja is not my first choice.

I think the next few months will show where things are going and, honestly, from what I see and read about NOB, it's not looking good. CV has been politicized, unfortunately, with those thinking it's a government conspiracy or the virus just isn't happening. What a country.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2020 at 12:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
i know a ton of seniors...this is the first i have heard of such.......are you SURE its not just you?

Some people don't get out much.

Some stores don't let anyone at all enter, you need to know what you want, wait in line outside in the sun 6 feet apart, state what you want and pay with exact change.

What's worse are places like Telcel, who want you to stand in a circle 6 feet away or they won't help you, the person is behind plastic, you can't hear them and they can't hear you?

The other day I went to Santender on Abasolo in La Paz, there was a long line out the door, a security let people enter one by on etc use the ATM and it was eating each persons card. He said nothing? No bank agent would come outside to explain that the machine was malfunctioning. What a mess. I didn't figure it out either until too late. Machine was supposedly destroying the cards. New card arrives a week later.

Lots of nonsense like this, stay vigilant, there's been an increase in robberies by a fair amount, guys on motor robbing people, lots of people out of work, everyone is stressed and in need of help. Stay safe.

example of recent robberies

https://noticiaslapaz.news/2020/11/06/asaltan-a-extranjera-a...

[Edited on 11-7-2020 by gnukid]
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2020 at 07:50 AM

Quote:

*****************************, seniors have limited access to stores practically globally, for some reason the theory is that seniors need to be protected from others? Not sure what the theory is. In California in the SF Bay many stores have similar policies, but, seniors make online shopping lists in their cart and the items come to the house. Same in La Paz, it's possible to order online from Homedepot, etc. many restaurants have curbside pickup and delivery to house. In some countries, such as Great Britain, Wales, Australia is a policy that seniors may not leave more than a few km for nonessential travel, such as food, since deliveries exist.

My mother has not gone to the store in 8 months.

Back a few months ago, when the restrictions where crazy, with police and military blocking roads, I always carried a box of veggies at my side wherever I went to pass through the filters.

I'm trying to be helpful so there are no surprises, if anyone is needing delivery and can't find what they need, perhaps they can ask here and we can share resources. There are deliveries up and down Baja now.

Personally, I find it is nice to live in a quiet pueblo in Baja and have what you want delivered, reliably. And to be more reliant on local produce, grow your own, share, barter and trade.

That said, we have no confidence in COVID vaccines that are fast tracked without adequate development and testing. We have seen kids drop to the ground having been injected with HPV vaccine Gardisil and become severely ill from Flu vaccines.

It seems that in big cities there is less of ability to see connection between faulty vaccines and injuries, due to so much noise, and interaction. Where as, in a pueblo, it's far more obvious, to see results from vaccines and sudden illness and death.

Interesting times ahead!

[Edited on 11-9-2020 by gnukid]

[Edited on 11-9-2020 by BajaNomad]
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2020 at 09:49 AM

Anyone can go to CDC VAERS Vaccine Adverse Effects Reporting System and look up the data, noting, nearly 200,000 injuries from common Influenza Vaccine each year in the USA. Anyone can search Flu Vaccine Injury Lawsuit and see the lists of adjucacted cases yearly.

These reports do not include the number of injuries from the aggressive shot itself which causes many thousands of arm injuries, including permanent injury each year.

Gardasil HPV vaccine was theoretically supposed to reduce cancer in woman, yet the vaccine was promoted for use on children, where it was never tested, because, you can't test vaccines on children!

The result is many thousands of serious injuries and deaths in the USA alone.

In pueblos in Baja, and sometimes in USA, people arrive at schools and give these vaccines without proper informed consent.

The result is in a small town of a few hundred people, multiple children collapsed and there were subsequent deaths.

Point is, no testing on target audience, no proof of efficacy, no consent, history of injuries, yet, Gates/Faiuci proceed to invest in and profit from harmful vaccines.

NEVER EVER has there been a successful RNA virus vaccine, not in more than 40 years of development, yet, here we go with large numbers being pushed out the door, many resulting in injuries, testing procedures abandoned, for a "virus" that has survival of 99.7+ rate and only death in the case who would die anyway in the same period.

Yet few can discern the risk of the vaccines, few see the risk versus reward, the cost versus benefit.

Seniors, in particular, those at risk, must be very cautious about the medicines and vaccines they allow to enter their bodies. There is a quantifiable risk to any vaccine and medicine and people deserve to be informed and make their own choices from informed consent versus coercion, threat, propaganda, and marketing persuasion.

We have a deeply flawed health care system that is designed to profit of the sick, not manage health. Anyone with access to the data can see that we have a serious flaw with for profit health care, that continues to seek more profit, promote fear, and cause significant harm without responsibility for the damage.

Get informed!

[Edited on 11-9-2020 by gnukid]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2020 at 07:20 PM

Look at the charts. Things are getting bad quickly. https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#trends_dailytrends...

Remember when NYC was bad last winter?
That’s what’s coming this winter across all USA.

Wear a mask.

Woke!

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2020 at 07:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Look at the charts. Things are getting bad quickly. https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#trends_dailytrends...

Wear a mask.

NYC was bad because the governor thought it was a good idea to let Covid positive ppl return to nursing homes killing 10K+ thousand people.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2020 at 07:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Wear a mask.

NYC was bad because the governor thought it was a good idea to let Covid positive ppl return to nursing homes killing 10K+ thousand people.

We've learned a lot since then, but it's now gotten worse. Got an explanation or solution now, Einstein???

Blame the governor?? Where was our national leadership???

John

[Edited on 11-10-2020 by John Harper]
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2020 at 09:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

And that requires widespread cooperation of the citizenry, something which will likely be difficult in a country where right now according to many, everything is a government conspiracy to suppress our God-given right to do whatever we damn well please in spite of its potential impact on our neighbors.

Compare the U.S. to South Korea right now in terms of the pandemic. It's... embarrassing. :rolleyes:

Have you been to SK? I've been about a dozen times, and talk to someone there a couple times a month.

SK has 50M ppl - the US is about 7x bigger. SK has NK on one border and is surrounded by water otherwise. They didn't have ppl flying into the country from everywhere in the world at a fraction of the rate the US did.

Also SK has very little ethic diversity. Doesn't have immigration challenges. And didn't just watch 6 months of rioting and looting.

In sum, comparing SK to the US is a fools errand.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2020 at 11:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Have you been to SK? I've been about a dozen times, and talk to someone there a couple times a month.

SK has 50M ppl - the US is about 7x bigger. SK has NK on one border and is surrounded by water otherwise. They didn't have ppl flying into the country from everywhere in the world at a fraction of the rate the US did.

Also SK has very little ethic diversity. Doesn't have immigration challenges. And didn't just watch 6 months of rioting and looting.

In sum, comparing SK to the US is a fools errand.

I also am in contact with people in SK. They have kept their infection rate down because people have voluntarily co-operated with masking, distancing and keeping non-essential movement to a minimum. Like intelligent adults, not like the US babies throwing tantrums about violating their "rights" to spread a deadly virus.

They also have respect for their elders and don't expect them to have to hide themselves away so young people can party.

[Edited on 11-10-2020 by surabi]
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.