Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New Mordida Tactic
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2020 at 10:51 PM
New Mordida Tactic

This just happened today -

Stopped by the National Guard (in a Federal Police cruiser) at the San Francisco de la Sierra Jct with Mex 1.

Mex 1 changes to four lanes for about a 1/4 mile at the S. F. de la Sierra jct. The two center lanes are for thru traffic on Mex 1. The two outside lanes are for turning into or out of the S.F. de la Sierra road and then merging onto Mex 1.

There was an old dump truck parked (broken down?) in the southbound turnout lane and EXTREMELY close to the divider line for the southbound Mex 1 thru lane.

We were pulling a trailer and traveling southbound. Upon seeing the truck crowding against the thru lanes, I slowed to about 45 mph and slid over about half way into the northbound lane to give myself some room to pass the broken down truck.

Hidden behind the truck was a Federal Cruiser with two cops standing partially hidden behind the truck's front bumper. One immediately kicked on the blue lights and the other flagged me over. There was NO other northbound or southbound traffic anywhere in sight.

Turns out that they were not Federal Police but National Guard driving a Federal cruiser.

As the officer was walking up to our vehicle, I quickly yanked most all of the money out of my wallet and dropped it on the floor under the seat. I left one $20 USD bill and one 100 peso bill in my wallet.

They accused me of crossing a solid yellow line (which I did - no denial) and endangering any northbound traffic that would be on the road. NO traffic in sight, anywhere!

The officer asked me to get out of the car, show him my ID, Driver's Lic., Registration, Insurance, etc. (yes, Mex insurance !).

He then pulled out an official looking Federal ticket book and asked me if I wanted him to write a ticket for $4,300 pesos or maybe we could settle it right there.

Pretty blatant mordida!!

I asked him how much to settle? "$2,000 pesos". Told him that I didn't have that much cash. "Ok, $1,000 pesos."

I opened my wallet and showed him the US $20 and the Mex 100 pesos. He was a bit exasperated and said, "How are you traveling. Where is your gas money??"

I pulled out a BanComer debit card and a US credit card and said, "That's it. I don't carry cash anymore." (Which is almost true - I have pesos as a backup but tend to use the Bancomer debit for most everything along the road.

Now he was really exasperated and finally said " Okay, this is a warning. Go"

As he was walking back towards the hidden cruiser, I saw the other guy step out from behind the dump truck and aim a radar gun at an oncoming vehicle. He didn't stop it, just stepped behind the dump truck again ( and waited for another potential victim)

Not sure if the National Guard can actually enforce traffic laws but they were in fancy uniforms and armed with holstered pistols.

Anyway, heads up .....

KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2020 at 10:59 AM

Can you explain what or who is the National Guard? There's so many different levels of law enforcement, it's difficult to ascertain who has jurisdiction and of what crimes they're allowed to deal with.

Crossing the center line seems to be a favorite excuse to hit one up for a ticket/mordida.
This happened to me once:
It was a few miles up highway 3 after the turnoff from Mex 1 (heading towards Tecate) towing a 5th wheel when I had to avoid a very large pothole so I moved over a half lane to do so. A few seconds later the lights came on behind me so I pulled over. No shoulder so no room to pull over so I stopped, effectively blocking the north lane. After a few pleasantries from the cop, he informed me that there was a problem "back there", indicating I crossed the center line. I got out of my truck and looked back and asked "in my country, it's legal to cross a dotted line... what's the law in Mexico?" He quickly turned around and waved his hand over his shoulder and said "bye-bye". In hind sight, I should've first asked for his identification and badge number so I could've reported him.
If ever faced with a similar situation, I think I'd turn my 4-way flashers on before crossing the center line. If stopped, I'd turn my dash cam towards the side window to record the conversation too.

[Edited on 11-12-2020 by KasloKid]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-12-2020 at 11:39 AM

On long/straight segments of hwy with no traffic, i straddle the center line so i can comfortably cruise at high speed without needing to focus on staying in a narrow lane.

Double trouble: speeding and crossing center line :bounce:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-12-2020 at 12:08 PM

I have the same question as KasloKid. Just where does the "National Guard" fit into the chain of command?

There were a couple of them at the coffee shop here at the Maranatha camp, just west of La Paz. They were in a typical police cruiser, and wearing police uniforms. Neither the cruiser, or the uniforms were Federales.

I have also seen military style trucks marked "Guardia Nacional" occupied by what appeared to be uniformed soldiers.

I have been here a couple of weeks, and there is an almost constant presence of law enforcement vehicles from Federales, La Paz municipal cruisers, Policia Estal (state police?) and now Guardia Nacional.

Who's in charge here?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 11-12-2020 at 12:10 PM

print this - have it filled out
take picture of the officers and their car
yes, that is legal in Mexico

Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 12.08.02 PM.png - 124kB

Harald Pietschmann
Mr. Bills
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2020 at 01:27 PM

Have it filled out or fill it out?

Somehow I just can't imagine handing that form to anyone in a uniform and asking them to complete it.

Well, I can imagine it, but the outcome isn't particularly pleasant.

;)

I'm liking the idea of having the form made into a NCR pad and leaving the pad on the dash. Imagine the fun of asking for a receipt for the mordida.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2020 at 02:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

i googled your form, found a few examples on tourism forums. you are missing page 2.

i suspect that if you call the tele number on your form, you will reach the cell phone of a teenager in el paso, and the kids on the other end will howl with glee :lol::lol::lol:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2020 at 02:04 PM

I think it is prudent to evaluate the circumstances you are in before presenting that form to a police officer. Just because you are in the right doesn't mean things will work out in your favor. I dont recommend this unless you are in a public place with witnesses and even then not so sure about it. This could backfire very badly on someone and there is no taking it back at that point. Just my 2 centavos.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2020 at 02:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

Where'd you get that? I found a complete version in PDF (it'll print better), but can locate it on no Mexican Government website.
I can't even figure out whether the "Procurador de Protección al Turismo" actually even exists! :?:

call the number on the form and ask your questions of whoever answers

Woke!

freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2020 at 03:49 PM

In October going south on hwy 5 half way between the inspection stop and San Felipe I saw federal black cars stopped on the side of the road. I slowed down but the car behind me did not, the cop stood in the middle of the road pointed his radar gun at on coming cars and if you were speeding he just waved you over with out getting into his car to give you a ticket. Looks like the feds are getting more assertive.
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2020 at 04:17 PM

Thanks for accountability form. I was able to condense the two pages into a smaller sized format. If you want to, you can print so that the copy is double sided. Attachment included. Print using a Landscape orientation.

And yes, being prudent as to when you'd want to whip out this form to fill it out would in my mind, be appropriate only when it's a blatant cash grab and you're confident you'd face no repercussions upon doing so.

I'm putting a couple of copies in each vehicle I have as well as both moto's.

Attachment: Mexico Police Accountability Form Condensed.docx (16kB)
This file has been downloaded 209 times

[Edited on 11-14-2020 by KasloKid]
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2020 at 09:23 PM

They are targeting gringos. Do you think they would even ask a local to pay 4000 pesos? They're all crooks. When you can't trust the police, who are supposed to protect you from crooks, you're in a bad situation.
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2020 at 10:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by KasloKid  
Can you explain what or who is the National Guard? There's so many different levels of law enforcement, it's difficult to ascertain who has jurisdiction and of what crimes they're allowed to deal with.

See my new post from today about the "National Guard".

National Guard in Baja Sur

KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2020 at 11:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RnR  

See my new post from today about the "National Guard".

National Guard in Baja Sur

Thanks for the link. I've a better understanding now.
A long read but from what I understand is the new National Guard is the "same old same old" as this "new arm of the law" is made up of military and federale personnel. Same dudes but different uniforms. Corruption remains unchecked as this "new and improved" arm of the law is still unaccountable to the civilian public.
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2020 at 08:08 AM

... the new National Guard is the "same old same old" ... . Same dudes but different uniforms.

Seems so. The traffic stop was a set up that was planned in advance and well orchestrated.

The officer initiated the conversation of 'settling the fine on the spot' and then proceeded to negotiate the amount of payment.

The "I only have a debit card" threw him for a loop but I am sure they will adapt to the concept in the future. A mobile card reader ...?
Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2020 at 09:25 AM

The Feds have threaten me in a similar situation, with calling a tow truck and have me car towed to the Fed Police office (Guerrero Negro).
I did pay the $2,500 pesos on site.......
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2020 at 09:36 AM

Back in February at that same location, two federale cars parked on each side of the highway in the wide spot. I was towing my 26' boat with a Dodge 2500 HD Cummins. As I approached these two cars, two officers walked into the roadway, motioning me to stop.

Upon contact, Officer Morales asked for all my docs. His partner then told him in Spanish that due to my license plates, I was not able to haul cargo in the enclosed bed of my pickup. I explained that his partner was incorrect in his interpretation of California permanent mount plates and their restrictions of use.

After seeming satisfied with my explanation, he told me to pull to the shoulder because I had a "big problema". After parking, he told me my truck was too small to pull my boat and my boat (8' wide) was too big for his highway.

Just then a 40' motor home drove northbound and I told him my boat was smaller than the motor home. He wouldn't hear it. Still holding my docs, he said that the ticket was very big and that I could not proceed until I arranged for a commercial driver with a big rig to tow my boat to Los Barriles.

Despite my arguments regarding the width of my boat, the width of his lanes and the fact that my truck was capable of towing much larger loads, he would not budge. He then saw my retired law enforcement ID card that was in my open wallet and asked to see the card. He looked it over and said, "You can go. No ticket today, but next time, big ticket!"

I retrieved my docs and was on my way, passing several more federales in Santa Rosalia, Loreto, Contitution City and two federale checkpoints in La Paz without garnering any attention form the officers.

These two were clearly running a scam and cost me 40 minutes of drive time!
tbnoble
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2020 at 12:02 PM

To follow up on the National Guard thread, not sure where they fit in but they have taken over the Federale building in Card##as at the 200km marker, all repainted looks nice. They also are now driving Dodge Chargers nice paint jobs too. We live in Socorrito and I have not seen a Federale now for about a month or so. Always interesting down here.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-13-2020 at 01:22 PM

This National Guard force was a creation of AMLO. He ran on a platform where he wanted to remove the military's involvement in policing the country and interdicting in the fight against the drug trade. He felt it was bad for the executive branch to be able to use the military, internally.

So, he got the National Guard funded.

But the military was never completely removed from the activities he had hoped for.

This idea of a Federal police force that could take over some of functions of the State and Municipal police, is not new. EVERY Mexican president from Calderon on, had proposed replacing the municipal police with something......... the municipal police are seen to be much more corruptible, partly due to how lowly paid they are.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.