BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Baja Travel After Christmas???
Mr. Bills
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2020 at 12:33 PM

From the Cambridge English Dictionary:

essential
adjective
US /ɪˈsen·ʃəl/

extremely important or necessary

It seems from this definition of the word that essential can be defined objectively or subjectively.

What you may consider un-necessary may be extremely important to me and essential to my well-being.

In the U.S., where we have a Constitution that guarantees personal freedom and sets limits on the tyranny of government, a subjective interpretation carries equal weight in many situations.

In Mexico and other jurisdictions that do not have constitutions that effectively limit government power it is the government's definition of the word that counts, not yours or mine.

I might be inclined to follow the Mexican government's position on tourist travel but as is often the case with governments, the government of Mexico is sending mixed messages to tourists.

So I wait.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2020 at 12:34 PM

Left a check point yesterday and noticed the car behind me with South Dakota plates. The car rolls to a stop and not once person puts on a mask. We were speechless!

Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2020 at 12:39 PM

Pendejos Gabachos!
Mr. Bills
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2020 at 12:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
Left a check point yesterday and noticed the car behind me with South Dakota plates. The car rolls to a stop and not once person puts on a mask. We were speechless!

Did you engage in virtue signaling and/or social shaming or did you mind your own business, take care of yourself as best you could, and carry on?

I hope the latter. The last election cycle coupled with the pandemic has resulted in enough manifestations of imagined moral superiority in our society to last me a lifetime.

And yes, I do wear a mask when in proximity to other humans when outside my home. Whether others do the same is up to them (or the Mexican authorities in the above example), not me.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2020 at 05:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mr. Bills  

Did you engage in virtue signaling and/or social shaming or did you mind your own business, take care of yourself as best you could, and carry on?

I hope the latter. The last election cycle coupled with the pandemic has resulted in enough manifestations of imagined moral superiority in our society to last me a lifetime.

And yes, I do wear a mask when in proximity to other humans when outside my home. Whether others do the same is up to them (or the Mexican authorities in the above example), not me.

Just kept driving...

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 12-20-2020 at 06:35 PM

Damn South Dakotans taking their lax pandemic response SOB :(:(

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2020 at 09:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  

Damn South Dakotans taking their lax pandemic response SOB :(:(

Thought the same thing at first...but then figured it might be a full timer from Baja. Regardless, at this point in the game, we should all be wearing masks in said situations. I don't think it's too much to ask for.

Mother of Dragons
Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 12-21-2020 at 07:26 AM

I’ve been down to baja twice since the border was closed for “essential travel” only and had zero issues going into Baja or coming back to states. If that helps.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 12-21-2020 at 01:02 PM

Helps with what? :?:

Don't believe everything you think....
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2020 at 02:06 PM

Gee; troops approach S.D. car that has window(s) open and one of them speaks back and forth calmly with a mask from some distance to single or multiple occupant(s) of car without mask(s) while standing outdoors.
The mental model of that situation says to me the possibility of transmission is very negligible and they did mumble pendejo gabacho's when done though.

Es Todo Bueno
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2020 at 04:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  

The mental model of that situation says to me the possibility of transmission is very negligible and they did mumble pendejo gabacho's when done though.

You mean, the car occupants "think" that the possibility of transmission is negligible :). Do not despair, a more transmissible strain of the virus is on the way. 40-something countries banned the flights from UK yesterday or today. Mexico and USA are not on the list.
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2020 at 10:05 AM

I love it - deniers - they do not have the ability to allow evidence, fact, information EVER change their political and personal agenda! Their cognitive dissonance is complete!

Remember when guys here were spouting - it;'s just the flu, get over it. And then posting graphs saying the worst was over, the numbers were going down? and the guys who posted that this would all go away in the summer - and when that didn't happen, it would all vanish November 3rd?

remember when we could cure this with sunshine up your butthole, and huffing lysol and mainlining bleach! and the miracle cure hydroxychloroquine? Masks were bullchit, magical "lockdowns" with cops patrolling keeping you in your house!

we could go on and on how many times some people here have been wrong - consistently, completely wrong, and every time they were wrong - it was a result of their personal biases not allowing them to make reasoned informed decisions! And the best part is the blow whatever legitimacy they have conjuring up bogus laughable excuse and conspiracy theories, then move on to their next spout off!

And now - we are still looking for the acceptable number of deaths from them! 25,000 was a mere drop in the bucket, 100,000 - hell they were dying anyway, 300,000, as long as its not me - who cares,
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2020 at 09:56 AM

so just as food for thought, or a cautionary tale.
a single person not taking the recommended (and mandated) precautions.

7 people dead, 300 isolated - but by God - that individual proved how stupid these restrictions are!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/23/us/oregon-covid-superspreader...
Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 12-24-2020 at 11:03 AM

caj13, nailed it!!

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-24-2020 at 11:44 AM
Covid 19 in my county

Nevada county is slightly smaller than the Oregon county 666 cited, at about 100,000. The median age is 49, and senior living and care facilities are a large part of the demographics.

In the last few months, the number of positive tests has exploded! There have now been 44 confirmed covid deaths, and according to local news reports, almost all of them are senior citizens!

Here is a link if anyone is interested; https://mynevadacounty.com/2924/Coronavirus

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2020 at 11:54 AM

David, one case does not define the issue. i don't care how many people you know with covid, because i know 17 million people here in the USA have had or have the disease, and 325,000 are dead. what happens to your buddy is one of millions of data points, each carries the same statistical weight.

Its attitudes from people with the same mind set as you , who ignore or minimize risk , that are a major contributor to the problem. - and that was my point in posting the article. A single individual ignored following guidelines. He Killed 7 people so far and 300 more are sick! Get clue man!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-24-2020 at 11:58 AM

Guess you didn't read my post? My "mind set" is to not travel during Covid.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 12-24-2020 at 12:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Guess you didn't read my post? My "mind set" is to not travel during Covid.

I read your post several times to make sure I didn't miss something. What I saw was a report about you missing a tv spot (not essential, even for a look-at-me type of individual) and missing your short trips to Baja.

I also read : "Nobody wants to be sick but this hyper-fear that everyone has may be unwarranted unless you are old or have pre-existing conditions." .... a clear minimization of risk and insult to those who follow recommended health guidelines.

Your tone seems to be one still rolling through the denier cult....

Please don't pretend to say I misunderstood anything here.

But thank you for staying closer to home than some other Nomads.

Merry Christmas.

Don't believe everything you think....
Mr. Bills
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2020 at 12:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
. . . 17 million people here in the USA have had or have the disease, and 325,000 are dead. . . .

I am 70. I am not travelling. I am staying home as much as possible. I choose to wear a mask when I am out and in proximity to others. In other words, I do my best to take care of myself and I do my best not to put others at unreasonable risk of harm - not because Gavin Newsom told me to but because that is the way most people already behave in normal civilized society.

I am not saying this for any pats on the back. I am saying it in order to avoid politicization of my post or being another victim of an unsolicited diatribe on social responsibility.

However, what I would like to point out is that the statistics cited by caj13, 325,000 dead out of 17 million who have contracted the Covid-19 virus, if true works out to an overall Covid-related death rate of 1.9 %.

Each of us needs to answer for ourselves whether shutting down society and the entire worldwide economy is a proportionate response for a disease with a 1.9% death rate, or whether there might be other less draconian alternatives. Perhaps then we can engage in some meaningful discussion rather than remain intransigent in our positions which gets us nowhere.

Feliz Navidad, Nomads, here's to a healthy and happy post-holiday season and new year.
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2020 at 04:00 PM

Mr. Bills, the 1.9% death rate is certainly acceptable to me - If - I'm not part of the 1.9%., AND you are!

see how that works! as long as it doesn't affect me, who cares if someone else dies! in this case, Mr. Bills was the acceptable sacrifice! ;)
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.