Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Assisted Living in BCS
tcharlessmith

[*] posted on 11-20-2020 at 12:04 PM
Assisted Living in BCS

Anyone interested in knowing more about Assisted Living in Baja Sur?
Mr. Bills
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2020 at 01:55 PM

Watching.
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2020 at 06:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
...requiring putting a lot of energy into English competency for the Mexican caregivers..

Yes, and no. Teaching occupational language skills can be highly focused and specific. It is not difficult to teach people the language they need to know to carry out the functions of their job. Don't allow such a task to seem too difficult.

A simple example is how easily your can order your meal in a restaurant in a foreign country with a skilled waiter/waitress, but as soon as you move off topic from food, food prep, and the restaurant - conversation goes downhill and stalls. That's because that service person has a LOT of practice with their occupational language, but not much practice off topic.

A friend taught occupational language (in English) to spa therapists for nine years. The therapists worked in the company's spas around the world. Their course of study was very specific and covered all the bases from understanding the terminology for pain, asking about allergies (regarding the lotions a therapist might use) to providing instructions on how to disrobe and use the provided coverings for the session. Highly specific language for a six-star organization with 55 spas around the world, including spas on higher-end cruise ships, and in Oriental, Peninsula and Four Season hotels and resorts.

Anyway... point being, you can with some effort, identify the language one needs to know to complete certain job functions (including safety) and teach that language and its variants. Staff don't need to know much language outside that skill window. It's nice if they do, but not mission critical.

Assisted care is a great need here and will become even more so, I would encourage anyone considering developing a business to not let the lack of language skills in the local population get in the way. Developing those skills is just a regular part of the training you would want/need to provide anyway.

Edited for clarity.

[Edited on 11-21-2020 by RocketJSquirrel]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2020 at 09:22 PM

Absolutely, I am very interested since my Mom has the beginnings of Alzheimers and may need care eventually.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2020 at 08:44 AM

I recently saw that there is such a service somewhere in Baja California but I am not sure where? Maybe Rosarito area?

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2020 at 09:09 AM

there is likely a large demand for this type of service. if US auto makers can setup factories in Mexico, i would think elder care is also possible.

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2020 at 10:26 AM

My mom lives in assisted living. For most tasks, language is not even necessary - though for the social aspect of "living", would be desirable for both concerned. Bathing, cooking, laundry, cleaning, "I need [ ]", dispensing provided medication are not complex skills. Would be appropriate to have a manager or equivalent who is skilled in nursing, so that when the occasion arises, can be identified, assessed and taken care of, possibly with communication with family members.
A skilled nursing facility is different; "memory care" facilities a little different. Hospice very different. Need to establish just what you need. Should be fairly close to a hospital, and establish a patient-doctor relationship with local physician for check-ups, and care when needed. Very much appreciated is a ready smile, a caring attitude, responsiveness to a simple request (I'm out of toilet paper, I spilled my coffee). Having one's own room is preferable to a shared room. Also nutrition is important - a variety and choice of meals is important, since meal time can be the high point of a day (eating together). Entertainment and many available activities during the day is nice, as well as computers to keep in touch with family. I have seen a wide range of barely adequate facilities vs. very nice ones. Would be a shame to offer only barely adequate care and I would not want my mother in one.
tcharlessmith

[*] posted on 11-21-2020 at 11:52 AM

Thank You for your interesting responses
tcharlessmith

[*] posted on 11-21-2020 at 01:56 PM

I'm working on the project, I will definitely be updating you on how is it going
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-23-2020 at 08:44 AM

I think the topic is of interest especially in Baja where many elders are choosing to live out their days. I believe assisted living facilities are a good idea/business venture and much needed.

I have been entertaining the idea of elder communal living type scenarios which is sort of one step before assisted living.

Many elders want to live in Mexico for the good weather, beauty, fresh air, affordable lifestyle etc. but they dont want to invest alot of money in buying a place just to live out their days. They want their own space but also want to socialize with others, play cards, games, garden, chit chat, eat good food etc. So I am visualizing elder pods or cabins on a large property with a main house where a cook could prepare meals if requested. That way they are involved in a small community, have people to check up on them or help them when needed and have autonomy but are not alone.

Of course it would require alot of planning and being very mindful of who are accepted to live in the oldie village..its just a vision I have had about pre-assisted living ideas. I loved that movie about a home for aging artists, musicians, actors etc and could see something like that for aging baja lovers.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
tcharlessmith

[*] posted on 11-23-2020 at 01:04 PM
movie

I like your idea, and it's a little like what I want, independent living but a little help, what movie are you talking about?
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2020 at 02:24 PM

I like these ideas. I am concerned for my wife when I get old and die. She's pretty fluent in Spanish, but I know she would prefer to stay here as she passes into that part of her life. So would I. I like the people, the culture, the food. No need to move on after a life time of "moving on".

Where are you located, tcharles? I may have missed that before. If not, you don't have to be too specific, just curious. Would like to encourage you to proceed!
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2020 at 02:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tcharlessmith  
I like your idea, and it's a little like what I want, independent living but a little help, what movie are you talking about?

I googled it and I think it is called Quartet with Maggie Smith directed by Dustin Hoffman.

I thought it was a cool idea to have elder hostels with like minded souls so they would have things in common.

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2020 at 02:53 PM

I took an entrepreneur's business course when I was in my 20's and one theme discussed was what businesses would be the best to start and anything having to do with seniors was highly recommended..because that would be a growing market.

Why would an elder spend alot of money on a buying a house unless their kids wanted to inherit it? I think a development for aging baja lovers would be cool.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-23-2020 at 04:38 PM

it wont work...no profit and too expensive for foreigners

i did the math a few yrs ago when i heard some guy near san bruno was looking into it

clients wont come...its hard enough to get tourists to cross the border as it is let alone aging family

you would need someone to plan healthy approved meals
on-site medical
trained staff
nearby hospital
medical supplies
handicapped buildings ( no dirt)

if someone needs assisted living that means they cant live on their own...they need help...that means staffing

wont happen here in our lifetime

look online what assisted living in the USA will give you

these people wont be fishing or walking on the beaches...they are old and handicapped
n
these are gringo dreams that cannot be realized...
my advise DONT invest

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2020 at 05:10 PM

I so disagree, respectfully so. I think it is an amazing idea esp for those of us who already live here!

I would sign up, in a heartbeat.

Should Les die before me, I would consider using our hotel with 6 rooms with en suite bathrooms as a starter. There is the luxury suite upstairs for someone to live on site, perhaps a doctor.

Come visit La Bocana

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-23-2020 at 05:24 PM

nope you wont get the people

think...how full is your place now and those are healthy people

it sounds like a great idea but its just another gringo dream

mexican families take care of their own ...they dont institutionalize them

good luck if you go down this path...i'll watch you

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Mr. Bills
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2020 at 05:33 PM

By assisted living, I presume we discussing pay-per-month programs where if a resident doesn't or can't pay they can be asked to leave just like any non-paying tenant vs. a retirement facility for active seniors with an ownership or life estate interest where the residents 'buy in" with a large entrance payment and it is the intent of all parties that residents live out their lives in the facility and transition from independent living to assisted living to the medical unit as their needs evolve.

In California, the latter is called a Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC) and such facilities are highly regulated due to the risk that a facility could be undercapitalized and fail financially, leaving residents destitute after paying their substantial buy-ins. These buy-ins seem to range from a low of $350,000 or so to over $1 million per person depending upon whether one is buying a life estate in a studio, large apartment or free standing home. They are expensive, although the monthly fees aren't quite as frightening as the buy-ins. [BTW, CCRC's also require that you pass a physical to get it. You can't wait until you are sick.]

[Edited on 11-24-2020 by Mr. Bills]
tcharlessmith

[*] posted on 1-18-2021 at 06:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
there is likely a large demand for this type of service. if US auto makers can setup factories in Mexico, i would think elder care is also possible.

Of course it is possible, it already exists but I am thinking in Baja for people who wants to stay here hen they need help
tcharlessmith

[*] posted on 1-18-2021 at 06:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RocketJSquirrel  
I like these ideas. I am concerned for my wife when I get old and die. She's pretty fluent in Spanish, but I know she would prefer to stay here as she passes into that part of her life. So would I. I like the people, the culture, the food. No need to move on after a life time of "moving on".

Where are you located, tcharles? I may have missed that before. If not, you don't have to be too specific, just curious. Would like to encourage you to proceed!

The virus has slowed me down but still in the process, betweeen Mulege y Santa Rosalia
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.