tcharlessmith

[*] posted on 1-18-2021 at 07:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
nope you wont get the people

think...how full is your place now and those are healthy people

it sounds like a great idea but its just another gringo dream

mexican families take care of their own ...they dont institutionalize them

good luck if you go down this path...i'll watch you

HI, retking the subject, hopefully this virus will let me follow up with my plans, I might visit you soon
thanks
tcharlessmith

[*] posted on 8-19-2021 at 05:01 PM
Hello

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Absolutely, I am very interested since my Mom has the beginnings of Alzheimers and may need care eventually.

Hello have you find a place for your mom?
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 8-19-2021 at 05:25 PM

When she is too old to care for herself, my wife has requested a chair and umbrella on the beach plus a bottle of tequila! That should be possible!

Language skills required for this are minimal!
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2021 at 07:18 PM

Sheri, didn't you buy the ranch that was near you? Would that property work for such an idea?
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2021 at 11:29 PM

I too think that the idea has merit!

I think the Todos Santos area would be ideal for a variety of reasons. You could draw your cliental from ex-pats already living in Baja. It’s likely that some of the technical slots could be filled by the residents themselves. Todos Santos has a good medical clinic as well as being close to the best hospitals and airports. Importantly there are things to do to occupy the residents.
The proximity to resorts and hospitals which cater to English speakers would help with staffing as well.

Mexico probably has rules covering private healthcare facilities so some sort of 55+ community model or condo association with enhanced medical and mental health services plus a good bar and restaurant might be simpler to establish.

Nothing would prevent the facility from opening the enhanced services, bar and restaurant to the public or listing vacant rooms on AB&B!

Most residents could probably afford $2000 - $3000 per month for basic room and board. Medical Insurance would be a must. The average resident would probably stay around 5 years. Initially you could probably support 40 to 80 residents. The ability to train staff as an additional profit center should not be overlooked either!

Above is a rough first pass. Build it and they will come! People are living longer and doing more with their time!

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2021 at 12:38 AM

My Mom is living with my sister in San Diego and so far, so good.

I still think this is a brilliant idea.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2021 at 05:19 AM

Assisted living in Mexico.

"Assisted living in Mexico costs approximately $1,000 – $2,000 per month and may include medications, doctor visits, in addition to the housing, food, and assistance with daily living activities."

https://www.elderguru.com/eldercare-assisted-living-mexico/

Here's a facility in Rosarito Beach:

https://casamarseniorliving.com/en/best-place-to-retire-in-m...

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 8-20-2021 at 06:47 AM

When my time comes, I'm simply moving in with the Grandpa's :biggrin:

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2021 at 07:50 AM

Up here we find the Long term care facilities are too expensive and poorly staffed and...I hate to say this...filthy. They are all about profit. Dangerous places to be locked up in during a pandemic. Much cheaper to move in a care aid into your own home and get 24 hr coverage 5 days a week and personal care at far less cost and better care.

Medical has to be dealt with separately.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2021 at 08:02 AM

A friend did this for him and his wife when his wife required personal care...cost was 2/3 plus room and board of the very cheapest assisted living place(tiny room, 2 meals a day, no medical, light dusting of room once per week) Aid walked the dog, cleaned the house and was willing to make meals and primarily helped with baths and personal care.

[Edited on 8-20-2021 by JDCanuck]

[Edited on 8-20-2021 by JDCanuck]
amigobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2021 at 10:59 AM

Before the Chinese flu my plan was to become a full time cruise ship passenger. If planed right for about 4k a month you could live full time on cruise ships. You ever see how they take care of the old wheelchair bound passengers? They treat them like kings and queens.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2021 at 04:56 PM

SFandH,

Rosarito Beach is not my idea of retirement place even if it’s free! Paying a little more to get more is worth it especially if it’s you who benefits!
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2021 at 04:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
Up here we find the Long term care facilities are too expensive and poorly staffed and...I hate to say this...filthy. They are all about profit. Dangerous places to be locked up in during a pandemic. Much cheaper to move in a care aid into your own home and get 24 hr coverage 5 days a week and personal care at far less cost and better care.

Medical has to be dealt with separately.
From first-hand experience with my mother I can tell you that when you leave your home you no longer have control of your life. As far as I'm concerned it's a nightmare.

I plan to never let that happen to me. I'll do the best I can as long as I can alone in my home until the bitter end.

"I'm too young to be this old!"
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2021 at 07:31 AM

"the best I can as long I can alone in my home"
That's not the issue. It's when you can't manage alone in your home any longer. When you can't stand long enough to cook, drive a car, buy groceries, clean, get in and out of shower, get to a doctor appt., walk up steps. And when you need the help, will you have the money to pay for it? Or are you intending that one of your children will sacrifice their current lifestyle to be your maid, cook, caregiver 24/7? I also speak from first-hand experience. My mom has live entertainment every Friday, several activities per day - games, exercises, crafts. Scheduled outings. Before COVID, a monthly brunch for residents and their guests (guests pay). Special occasions are celebrated with fun events; clean room, cable TV, A/C. There are options - living in misery alone is not one that I would choose.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2021 at 07:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
"the best I can as long I can alone in my home"
That's not the issue. It's when you can't manage alone in your home any longer. When you can't stand long enough to cook, drive a car, buy groceries, clean, get in and out of shower, get to a doctor appt., walk up steps. And when you need the help, will you have the money to pay for it? Or are you intending that one of your children will sacrifice their current lifestyle to be your maid, cook, caregiver 24/7? I also speak from first-hand experience. My mom has live entertainment every Friday, several activities per day - games, exercises, crafts. Scheduled outings. Before COVID, a monthly brunch for residents and their guests (guests pay). Special occasions are celebrated with fun events; clean room, cable TV, A/C. There are options - living in misery alone is not one that I would choose.

My mom also had the advantage of all that, and she truly enjoyed it, right up to the time she passed away, with lots of visits from family. Since then we have had Covid, which put a whole new light on living in a managed home vs your own home with in home care provider.
I think the biggest issue with a managed home is the level of cleanliness, and what happens if there are more isolating due to virus spread periods.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2021 at 08:55 AM

Since our best in home aides tend to be from either the Philippines or Mexico, I would bet the average Baja or mainland home is exceptional in the personal service end. I may be prejudiced here and this is just my opinion.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2021 at 09:59 AM

We are still trying to communicate with the majority of our older in-laws, but the younger ones help us out as they can translate. Unfortunately as the mom was in the hospital when we were there, we only had a very brief meeting in her hospital room. The one thing that breaks through the language barriers is the personal respect. So yeah, I think I can understand what you are saying.
But my daughters' had the opportunity to stay with three separate families, and I think their experiences were what primarily drew us to begin traveling there. The young men made sure they were kept safe and were perfect gentlemen as they toured them around Mexico city, and the hospitality in the homes they stayed in was amazing.

[Edited on 8-29-2021 by JDCanuck]

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2021 at 10:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by tcharlessmith  
I'm working on the project, I will definitely be updating you on how is it going

If you feel compelled to do this, you should definitely move it forward. There are so few opportunities in life to contribute that we have to take them and run with them when they arise.

mooose29
Nomad

Mood: All Smiles

[*] posted on 8-29-2021 at 09:48 PM

My family Being in Home health industry and also as a visitor/home owner in Baja all our life I believe an assisted living facility/compound especially one like Sheri and Blanca have thought about could work well in Baja. Of course it would not be easy but definitely possible.

Another very viable option especially for those that don’t need 24 hour care/help would be to hire in home care for your needs. This could be a great option for those that want to stay in their homes. Someone to come in every day to cook, clean, help with medication, etc… this could work, the trick is finding the right people to hire same as it is here in The states.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.