Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: baja 1000 trip
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2020 at 11:02 AM
baja 1000 trip

went down for a week hitting our favorite dirt trails and beaches.

BOLA.. crowded, Archelon was sold out! stayed at Daggets for 10 bucs a head under the palapas. Shrimp taco stand was open and they were great.

COCOS... he had a large group of motos there from Chihuahua... he was in good spirits.. We left out through Calamuje south.

Mission San Borja ... had a nice tour.

San Rafael... big boat in the bay with a few pangas working, the fisherman said they were taking shark and rays.

San Francisquito... we had 5 vehicles and camping gear... we purchased asada and shrimp in BOLA to bar b que, so I thought I would give Juan at the old "resort" another chance. No dice! closed signs lined the driveweay in... and a big one on the closed gate finally turned us around. So.. back to Betos for a good night with hot showers.
Betos brother was handleing things while Beto is away, the "house" was $40 for the first 2 and $15 per head after.
The next morning I inquired with him about the "resort" and he said the signs are probably nothing and he thought there would be people there and Juan didnt want to many. Several of our group had never seen the place so he said we should go.
As we pulled up to the resort we startled a soilder in the bathroom... he moved out quickly and grabbed his rifle! We noticed another soilder at the outdoor dining area sitting down behind a wall, no sign of Juan or his family. The soilder approached and told us Juan was gone.... he left for town and never came back! He then said we could look around and go on the beach... just stay north of the kitchen building. We thanked him and drove out of the property.
I was there 18 months ago and didnt think it could get any worse... I was wrong! The debris ( Broken trucks missing axles and wheels.... outboard motors completely stripped of all useable parts... fishing traps.. flat out trash scattered about) all of this is now moving closer to the beach. It used to be if walked from the kitchec to your palapa you wouldnt notice these things... now you navigate through them. SAD!

Rancho Escondido... Stopped by and got the A tour from the owners daughter. Bought a beer or 2 and sat under the huge party palapa. She confirmed the story told by the soilder! She said her family knows Juan well and that he was in Guerrero Negro and would be returning... the closed signs will come down when he returns.

south end of the seven sisters was crowded with surf campers.

villa jesus to el arco throgh the ranches we encountered large groups of military.. brand new trucks.. heavilly armed.. very professional. It was a little different expierience... almost like they got a "tip" about something. One group was out of Villa Jesus heading SE... one group was NW of Arco heading NW. It kept us on our toes!

Temps were perfect! Food was great! People were friendly and glad to see us. The higher the population density the more we saw the mask.

Return crossing was Mexicali west 15 minutes, took longer to drive around the detour than to cross.

st 2 people and $15 per head after
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-23-2020 at 11:20 AM

An interesting and helpful report! Did you happen to notice whether the new looking military trucks had the black and white checkered pattern of the Guardia Nacional"?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2020 at 11:26 AM

Great report. Thanks for posting!

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-23-2020 at 12:07 PM

Thank you, Tom.
So sad to hear Punta San Francisquito is so trashed-up.
In the 80s and 90s, it was a real gem!

It was pretty sad looking when I was last there in 2017.
The dining palapa was still damaged from the earthquake of a couple years earlier and the couple of guest accommodation rooms and bathroom building were looking poorly.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2020 at 12:10 PM

Interesting about the military. We watched the race and then stayed in El Rosario. On our way south to our place in Bahia Asuncion, I mentioned to my wife all the military vehicles on the road. I have never seen so much movement before.

Thanks for the report.

honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2020 at 09:40 AM

The trucks (other than the Hummers) were all new body Chevrolet. East of Villa Jesus we came up on 5 trucks (3 Hummer and 2 Chevy) they had a minivan stopped and were searching it. The 3 occupants were out and their persons were being searched also... we stayed back about 100 feet... when they were done they let them go, and waved us through as well (no questions).
the mini van was clipping along at a good pace 50 mph or so on the smooth dirt towards the ranches 10 miles east of town. At a cattle crossing the van moved aside as an occupant jumped out... I went by.. the van circled than jumped back in behind me... in front of the 5 vehicles with me. As i slowed to go through the ranch property the van pulled into the ranch and the occupants ran towards the home and an outbuilding.. super strange. Our best guess was that they thought the soilders were coming there next.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-24-2020 at 10:08 AM

Thanks for moto report Tom glade you had good time.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.