thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 11-24-2020 at 05:24 PM
Mexico rated worst place to be for the Covid-19

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-resilience-ranking/

Bloomberg rates 53 countries in descending order
and Mexico is dead last!!!

Yikes, maybe I don't want to make the Christmas trek south.....
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2020 at 05:51 PM

I don't know. I am glad I am down here. I think Mexico, at least in this area, might be doing it better than anywhere else. Too many reasons to elaborate, but it's just being done better. Things are stable, not up and down. Not freak out, lock down, then roll back. It's a bit of a mess, but that's true everywhere. That why it's called a pandemic.

But then I quite hesitate to express my opinion, because soon the excrement will be flying off the fan...
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-24-2020 at 06:02 PM

More fake news
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2020 at 08:03 PM

Mexico's ranking at the bottom is due in large part to the 62% positive test rate. This is a result of limited testing due to cost,(few non-symptomatic carriers are tested). The death rate per 100,000 people is slightly above the U.S. Neither are good statistics, but expected, considering the nature of the ambulatory economy here, and the need to hit the streets daily just to earn a living. That and the close living situations in most Mexican households, many including multiple generations.

Mexico City and Mexico State is and have been ground zero, with less cases in rural areas of the country to this point.

What I have observed in my limited travel in BC is that in general, the citizens here are taking the pandemic much more seriously than those in the U.S. Since the onset back in March, public service announcements, public health literature distribution, data collection, temperature taking, all the masking, cleaning, and overall community awareness has most folks paying attention.

Unfortunately the other requirements needed to curb the pandemic, ie: testing and contact tracing are not financially viable. Like the rest of the world, we are all hopeful for an effective and widely distributed vaccine soon.

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2020 at 08:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cancamo  
The death rate per 100,000 people is slightly above the U.S.

This is incorrect. The death rate from COID in Mexico is about 12%. I think it's the highest death rate of any country in the world. That would most likely be why it was rated the worst country to be in during the pandemic- if you get sick enough to end up in the hospital, your chances of coming out alive aren't very good.
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2020 at 08:36 PM

According to Bloomberg; Death rate per 1,000,000 people: U.S -776,
Mexico-782. Mexico slightly above the U.S.
Maybe you are referring to survivor data once diagnosed or admitted. The health care system here has had a tough time with the virus, as has the rest of the world.
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2020 at 08:39 PM

Well said, Cancamo.

People here are more adaptive, I think.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2020 at 08:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cancamo  
According to Bloomberg; Death rate per 1,000,000 people: U.S -776,
Mexico-782. Mexico slightly above the U.S.
Maybe you are referring to survivor data once diagnosed or admitted. The health care system here has had a tough time with the virus, as has the rest of the world.

Yes, exactly.

CLOSED CASES
Cases which had an outcome:
791,516 (89%)
Recovered / Discharged

102,739 (11%)
Deaths
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2020 at 08:10 AM

Updated daily: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-25-2020 at 08:34 AM

I imagine the risk depends where you travel and how you behave. Most of our guests comment how people are more responsible here using masks in stores, hand sanitizing stations outside most establishments, social distancing etc.
We have no Covid cases in Bahia Asuncion and I sure feel safer here than I would in the states!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
11-25-2020 at 09:02 AM
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2020 at 10:03 AM

Mexico is a big country. I am not itching to get on a plane (or any plane for that matter) to Mexico City anytime soon (not heading to Minot, ND or Los Angeles either) but...........

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2020 at 11:44 AM

If one could simply stop the world for 2 weeks, the virus would simply disappear is what I understand.

La Bocana is really great about hand washing and gel outside most stores, shoes have a special mat one steps on outside the restaurant and masks worn in most stores BUT we still have many who have visitors come from out of town with no regard for mask wearing since it is "family" or friend and they think they are safe at home.

I think it is a matter of time before it arrives here in town and I can only hope that a vaccine is available soon, and that both Les and I will have access to it!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2020 at 10:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
If one could simply stop the world for 2 weeks, the virus would simply disappear is what I understand.

It might take a little longer than 2 weeks, but that's more or less true. If every country in the world had closed its borders back in March, mandated and enforced lockdown and masking and distancing if having to go out for essential reasons, this would have been over long ago. A month would have been all it took. Economies would have recovered quickly. With no one to infect, the virus would have petered out. New Zealand did that and it worked.

But humans, in their stupidity, their differing opinions, their politics, etc. couldn't work together for the good of all. It disgusts and angers me.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-26-2020 at 08:08 AM

USA, 2,000+ deaths per day (pop. 326M)
Mexico, 800+ deaths per day (pop. 126M)
Comparable covid death rates

https://www.borderreport.com/regions/mexico/covid-19-hospita...

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/coronavirus/centers-for-dis...

Y’all say it is safer in baja. What’s your basis for such a claim?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-26-2020 at 10:37 AM

A local paper in northern Sonora just surveyed the hospitals in the largest city in Sonora, Hermosillo. Hermosillo is the site of several large private hospitals as well as the usual IMSS hospitals.

They are at 95% capacity now, due to all the Covid cases. Three of them are completely full and someone must be discharged before someone can be admitted, at that hospital.

Personally, the only statistic I trust down here, with respect to the virus, is something like this hospital occupancy number. A news organization can easily poll all the hospitals in an area and find out how full they are.

It's impractical to do that with all the labs that test or places that process the dead (morgues, hospitals, etc.) mostly because so many people get sick and/or die without ever getting tested. There have been NUMEROUS TIMES that Mexican governmental officials at the State and Federal level have admitted that they are undercounting deaths and infections BECAUSE THERE IS SO LITTLE TESTING, on a per capita basis.

Why? First and foremost, it is expensive and the average Mexican worker cant afford the test.

And, second, if you and your extended family are dependent on your source of income to simply survive, do you want your employer or customers to know you have the virus? Of course not. You will be out of work and your family will be looking for ways to feed themselves. Mexico doesnt have the extensive safety net of government organizations and charities that countries like the US or Canada do. So, the infection is very commonly covered up.

The bottom line is it's almost impossible to believe ANY statistics on this virus in Mexico, IMO.
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2020 at 12:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

The bottom line is it's almost impossible to believe ANY statistics on this virus in Mexico, IMO.

I would not argue with that.
laventana
Nomad

Mood: sharing

[*] posted on 1-2-2021 at 09:14 PM

Hmm i have two MD friends in LaPaz and one MD friend in Mexico City who is testing a over the counter approved drug for other purposes being repurposed for Covid. His research he expects to be published for peer review in March. My LaPaz doctor friends I trust would not be fudging any numbers. One is a ER doctor at the major hospital for Covid. I have known him for over 10 years.

not that I am a data engineer sometimes wish I was as it seems to be the highest paying BS degree there is just out of university. My math ability as an engineer was right there with them, so data is my friend If one looks at the world data Mexico is right there with latin american nations is another way to make a reasonable inference as to the validity of the data. For years I have done analysis on dengue numbers which are very similar in analogy to Covid. And those numbers also from a data standpoint matched the worlds numbers. So one just uses the death numbers to determine a reasonable area of confidence.

I have been charting baja surs numbers and cabos and LaPaz and I can reasonably conclude from the data that LaPaz is not doing nearly as well as cabo. Both towns I do not have the exact population but from some of the government numbers give Cabo a higher population than LaPaz.

LaPaz closed down all beaches and tourism at the beginning and cabo did not. Cabo opened beaches and tourism months before LaPaz did. Cabo a larger population but close to LaPaz size had roughly and still does 30-40% less deaths and cases. Very significant, If anyone wants a copy of my excel spreadsheet more then willing to share.

I attribute this to being outside increases your probability of not touching something someone else touched and larger space so more distance, and lastly Cabo is a newer town where there are not 10 generations of relatives living nearby. LaPaz has all the generations, so when they get together (like Most Europe like italy, spain, france, sweden and all latin america) they do the 1-3 cheek kisses, I see it in my small town, I see it in LaPaz, it is a beautiful gesture that is killing people. Note Sweden's prime minister on the recent outbreak pleaded with his country's people to stop that greeting. But I see no such government announcements in baja sur. Note countries like Japan and much of the oriend who do wear masks (just cloth ones) have 1/50th the death rates of the greeting kissing countries. Anecdotal but my friend and mechanic who lives in LaPaz had 17 members of his family with covid, not him or his wife or two kids. One died, his father and his wife's father were very sick.

The data I have been recording shows baja sur has death rates similar to Mexico national one, with LaPaz being high not nearly as high like the Dakotas or New Jersey but more like Iowas, and Cabo being much lower like Idaho which is number 35 in the usa.

Worldometer shows USA number 14 in the world death rate and Mexico number 19 today.

Here is the baja sur site i record my data from, it is the government website. It shows how many beds available, how many ventilators available, cases in the towns and active cases. https://coronavirus.bcs.gob.mx/casos-covid-19/

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2021 at 02:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

I think it is a matter of time before it arrives here in town and I can only hope that a vaccine is available soon, and that both Les and I will have access to it!

There have already 5 confirmed cases in Asuncion and we're just up the road from you. There are a further 6 possible cases that are being investigated. All were quarantined and have recovered with some being in their 50's.

[Edited on 1-3-2021 by Skipjack Joe]
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-3-2021 at 03:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
I imagine the risk depends where you travel and how you behave. ....
We have no Covid cases in Bahia Asuncion and I sure feel safer here than I would in the states!

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

There have already 5 confirmed cases in Asuncion. There are a further 6 possible cases that are being investigated. All were quarantined and have recovered with some being in their 50's.

[Edited on 1-3-2021 by Skipjack Joe]

Don't believe everything you think....
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-3-2021 at 04:41 PM

There is a five week span between Shari's post and the one by Skipjack Joe.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.