Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Had to pay $30 FMM Walking at San Ysidro 11/28/20
PBJoe

[*] posted on 11-29-2020 at 05:15 PM
Had to pay $30 FMM Walking at San Ysidro 11/28/20

Hey I'm Joe. I usually just read the forum, so this is my first post. This might be old information, but it was a change for me. I live in San Diego and drive to Ensenada and San Felipe 5 or 6 times a year. To be honest unless I'm heading further south I never get the FMM card driving. In the past few years if you walk across, (Is it 72 hours?) they give you a free FMM. Last night we walked across on the trolley side. Looked like PedWest near the outlets was still closed. I said we were heading to the dentist (Tyson fight) and they took us to the room.

I was honest with the guy and said "no problem we'll just head back." He said, "go ahead and purchase a 6 month FMM ($30) and next time just walk into the Mexican Resident line." He said, "if you're heading to the dentist, pharmacy, etc.. you need proof of the appointment." He was cool, but he said we'll give the dentist office a call. I mentioned the "free" FMM for (72? hours) He said, yes that is on-hold. He said we could get a day pass for $20. I mentioned I drove in for the Baja 1000 a week ago. He said, "ya to be honest that'll still be free. It's too busy to stop everyone" I did notice the new booths as you enter, so maybe that will change in the future. I'd hate to see 1 hour waits entering Mexico.

I needed a new FMM anyhow. Heading to Loreto soon. But just a heads up if anyone is picking up folks as they walk across (at San Ysidro anyhow.) I remember from years ago, you paid at the little bank window, etc.. This time I pulled out pesos and handed them over. He gave me change from his wallet. Yup, little shady.

Last, we mentioned the FMM fee to a few guys at the fight. They said, there are cabs that want to travel back into Mexico. They paid "extra" I think he said $30. (Not sure though) I should have asked where these cabs waited. There were three of them. He said the cab didn't stop at Mexico customs. So, $30 sounds better than $90 in FFM's.

[Edited on 11-30-2020 by PBJoe]
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 11-29-2020 at 06:03 PM

before these guys go crazy...its FMM;)
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2020 at 06:18 PM

Free FMM on hold? Good information.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2020 at 08:39 PM

" This time I pulled out pesos and handed them over. He gave me change from his wallet."

That is always a good sign, like when a cop makes change for your fine on the side of the road.
medium Cool

[*] posted on 11-29-2020 at 09:13 PM

Yup, heard that this was the MO this past weekend, lotta people got the mordida, $20-$30 each unless u had FMM. Not a fan of having to pay to get into Ol Mexico, but, things are changing, especially with traveling where and how, just the progress of a world where people in power will change things for a convieneince, or paranoia knowledge. I would venture to say in the not to distant future, it will cost a few bucks to cross the border, it will be spun as a nessecary function to operate it, it may be accurate.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-29-2020 at 09:26 PM

Only suckers are paying fake visa fees. Ask to talk to the supervisor. The TJ border xing is huge, there are supervisors in the area... these guys asking for fake fees will back down if challenged. TJ border xing is the flagship operation, there are people in the operation that are trying to make it a professional operation

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

medium Cool

[*] posted on 11-29-2020 at 09:38 PM

Hummmm, a little confused, are you saying that the largest " Flagship Operation " border crossing in the world is run by a shady third world network of beauracrates that can somehow over or under regulate the actual people it employes to monitor a few basic laws intended to protect the general population? Or are you making another point?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-29-2020 at 09:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by medium Cool  
Hummmm, a little confused, are you saying that the largest " Flagship Operation " border crossing in the world is run by a shady third world network of beauracrates that can somehow over or under regulate the actual people it employes to monitor a few basic laws intended to protect the general population? Or are you making another point?

You have to fit the mold to be fleeced.

Break out of your mold.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

PBJoe

[*] posted on 11-29-2020 at 10:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
before these guys go crazy...its FMM;)

FMM, Thanks
PBJoe

[*] posted on 11-29-2020 at 11:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Only suckers are paying fake visa fees. Ask to talk to the supervisor. The TJ border xing is huge, there are supervisors in the area... these guys asking for fake fees will back down if challenged. TJ border xing is the flagship operation, there are people in the operation that are trying to make it a professional operation

I've never considered myself a sucker. I do remember the old guys in the 80s saying you were a sucker to pay for the new fancy toll road.

"I drive from San Diego to La Paz in 28 days on a dirt road, and I like it. You're an idiot for using that new fancy pavement."

I was passed from immigration desk to an office. My Spanish sucks with officer #1. The supervisor was called in. He gave me his take on the new FMM program. He said the free FMM was "on-hold" Was he lying? How do I know? I made it pretty clear I was aware of the free FMM for short visits. I brought that up 3 or 4 times. He brought up 3 or 4 times, essential travel only. But a 6 month FMM would solve that problem.

I guess I could have demanded to see the supervisors boss and start yelling, etc.. Not really my style when I'm a visitor in another country. If that country is 8 miles from front door or 8000 miles away.

I needed the FMM for the checkpoint at Baja Sur soon. So it wasn't much of a problem. This was just a heads-up on what happened.

I love Baja. I've been visiting for 45 years. I've seen my share of scams. In Baja and many other parts of the world. Including San Diego.

I'm not reporting a change in Mexican immigration. I'm not present at those immigration (policy change) meetings. I'll guess most of us are not.

I can't keep track of Covid procedure changes in San Diego. They change from week to week. For Mexico to start demanding a 6 month FMM wouldn't be a surprise to me.

I've interacted with Mexican Customs/Immigration (I'd guess) 1000 times since the 80s. I've never seen anything but professionals. You used to need the FMM to get on a dive-boat. Maybe still do?

I drove across, ran inside and was never asked to pay for a 6 month FMM. Plus walking across (300 times?) over the years. I've never even had a buddy asked to pay.

So maybe this was my first scam. I admitted, I gave him the pesos for my buddy and myself. He reached into his wallet and gave me 100 pesos change.

Of course that wasn't procedure. Maybe I should have said, I always paid at the bank window and brought you the receipt. After talking with 3 officers (including the supervisor) nobody was backing down.

My guess (and relax it's just a guess) is someone in Mexico City is trying to prove their worth. "Look what I'm doing to slow down non-essential travel. No paid FMM, no entry"

Maybe the crew I got, thought that added to their workload. One for Mexico and one for me theory. Again, these are all guesses. Maybe over night I became a "sucker."

Like I said, I'm one of those people that reads (and enjoys) the reports. True, I didn't like the appearance that he was pocketing the cash. But, if there is an FMM change coming down, I'd hate for a family of three to get a $90 unexpected fee.

Again, Maybe I just wasn't fast enough on my feet to let them know who was boss. Blah, blah, blah. I'm man enough to say, I hope that's the case. I hope this was a random shakedown. On me and the other 8 guys I saw being brought into the room over 15 minutes. This would be an expense many expats don't need.

I'll guess many folks don't need the FMM. If there is even a small chance this policy (or shake-down?) Just a heads up. Maybe plan to drive in.

"I used to pay $1 for 10 lobster tails." Said, the guy on the bar-stool in any Baja town. Ya, ya me too. Today I pay what it cost, because things change.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2020 at 04:01 AM

Always good to get an FMM when traveling in Baja and Baja Sur. But I've haven't been checked anywhere for it except at the Baja Sur border and the last time was more than 10 years ago.
PBJoe

[*] posted on 11-30-2020 at 05:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Always good to get an FMM when traveling in Baja and Baja Sur. But I've haven't been checked anywhere for it except at the Baja Sur border and the last time was more than 10 years ago.

Ya, I've only been asked at Baja Sur border and on dive-boats in Ensenada. I was told if the coast guard came over, they would ask for them. That never happened, but I always had one.

I'm driving to Mulege and Loreto soon. I wasn't going without a current FMM. So no biggie getting one for this daytrip.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2020 at 07:36 AM

"I used to pay $1 for 10 lobster tails." Said, the guy on the bar-stool in any Baja town. Ya, ya me too. Today I pay what it cost, because things change.

[Edited on 11-30-2020 by PBJoe][/rquote]

I have met that guy. multiple times.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2020 at 09:18 AM

Back in the late 80s to the mid 90s it was pretty common to have a guy walking thru the camp grounds along the pacific selling live lobster out of a bucket. They were too small for the coop. Price was negotiable but usually ran about $2 per tail. Not uncommon to get 10 or more tails at a time. I got 20 one time.

At the San Antonio sand dunes near Colonet there was a man named Chinese Tony who would come by with a bucket full. Sometimes with a couple of really big ones. I don't know where he got em, never asked. Tony lived on the north end of the dunes. He passed away several years ago.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2020 at 10:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

Cuatro Casas '70-"71, $.25 cents for lobster

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-30-2020 at 10:50 AM

One thing is constant, things change!

Getting an FMM is no longer an option. Every trip into Mexico, even for a day in TJ is included. The days of the Border Zone exception (3 to 7 days to Maneadero or San Felipe) are long gone.

Yet, the enforcement is pretty much non-existent but random immigration checks have been reported. The immigration check at the state border hasn't been open since around 2015.

The latest change is the unwillingness to provide a free 7-day FMM, blaming Covid-19. I guess INM (immigration) needs the funds with tourism greatly reduced during the (so-called) non-essential travel ban.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PBJoe

[*] posted on 11-30-2020 at 11:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
One thing is constant, things change!

Getting an FMM is no longer an option. Every trip into Mexico, even for a day in TJ is included. The days of the Border Zone exception (3 to 7 days to Maneadero or San Felipe) are long gone.

Yet, the enforcement is pretty much non-existent but random immigration checks have been reported. The immigration check at the state border hasn't been open since around 2015.

The latest change is the unwillingness to provide a free 7-day FMM, blaming Covid-19. I guess INM (immigration) needs the funds with tourism greatly reduced during the (so-called) non-essential travel ban.

You speak the truth on change sir.

Thanks for the heads up on the state border check. Still, if I'm driving that far south I don't feel bad about having the FMM.

If something went wrong, small accident, etc.. I'd guess not having the FMM "might" be an issue. Better safe than sorry.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-30-2020 at 11:57 AM

Baja Bound Insurance, who support this site, have stated that immigration status is not a factor in insurance coverage.

However, getting the FMM at the border is really an easy thing, so it is silly to not 'play the game' when you are traveling to another country.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2020 at 04:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PBJoe  

If something went wrong, small accident, etc.. I'd guess not having the FMM "might" be an issue. Better safe than sorry.

As DK points out, not having an fmm has not been reported
as a problem with Mex Auto Insurance, to my knowledge.
The issue I see, is the opening up oneself to major Mordida
from City/Fed cop in the event of an accident. I would never,
by negligence, give them leverage

PBJoe

[*] posted on 11-30-2020 at 08:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
Quote: Originally posted by PBJoe  

As DK points out, not having an fmm has not been reported
as a problem with Mex Auto Insurance, to my knowledge.
The issue I see, is the opening up oneself to major Mordida
from City/Fed cop in the event of an accident. I would never,
by negligence, give them leverage

Good advice, Thanks

[Edited on 12-1-2020 by PBJoe]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.