Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Getting to 5: Mexicali crossing vs. Tecate 2D
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2020 at 08:51 PM
Getting to 5: Mexicali crossing vs. Tecate 2D

Heading South in a month or 2. I've never crossed at Mexicali and will be crossing either borders on a Sunday early.

Anyone have a preference for Mexicali West vs. Tecate 2D getting to San Felipe?

Directions getting to 5 after crossing at Mexicali?

Thx.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-4-2020 at 09:10 PM

Done it both ways. Tecate takes longer, steep winding grade, and tolls are charged.
Mexicali south is well-signed to San Felipe.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 12-4-2020 at 10:58 PM

Mexicali West and follow the signs except for the first right turn arrow to SF, otherwise pretty straight forward. Hit 5 at about Costco or turn left on Lazaro Card##as over to 5 then south.

Attachment: From Mexicali West.kml (4kB)
This file has been downloaded 176 times

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2020 at 03:37 AM

Mexicali.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

brucedog
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2020 at 08:21 AM

To each his own. I absolutely love the Tecate border crossing...its very low key and not busy, getting FMM takes ten minutes tops. The drive on 2D is spectacular, and although it is a winding road it is also two lanes each way. Not having to deal with Mexicali is a big plus for me
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-5-2020 at 11:12 AM

If I am headed toward San Felipe through southern California, I agree with brucedog because I like that road! Since I prefer to travel south on the east side of the Sierra's, backtracking to Tecate wouldn't make sense.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-5-2020 at 12:07 PM

I like Tecate and that road too. My answer above was for the fastest and easiest route south. The parking at Tecate is not good for the FMM, but it is super easy at Mexicali.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mr. Bills
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2020 at 01:36 PM

Having taken both routes to San Felipe, I really think the decision to pick Tecate or Mexicali depends more on where you are coming from than the average time spent at either border station when crossing southbound.

YMMV
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 12-5-2020 at 01:47 PM

just be aware come monday we're back in the red, im sure it won't deter folks that just have to get that taco though!:P

Mexicali asks American tourists to only make essential visits
MEXICALI, BC December 2, 2020 - The mayor of Mexicali asked American citizens to not visit the city if it is not necessary and asked they abstain from making non-essential visits. This is one of the measures to stop the increase in COVID-19 infections.
She announced they will be maintaining permanent health roadblocks from Friday through Sunday at the accesses to Mexicali from Calexico, as well as on main roads.
She also said that starting Thursday, December 3 there will be restrictions on the sale of alcoholic beverages in containers in pharmacies, markets and self-service stores from 10AM to 10PM, and restaurants and bars can only open until 11PM.

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2020 at 02:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mr. Bills  
Having taken both routes to San Felipe, I really think the decision to pick Tecate or Mexicali depends more on where you are coming from than the average time spent at either border station when crossing southbound.

YMMV

Good point and one I'm considering. Prob leaving from Chula Vista so I can take 8 to 98 to Mexicali, or cut over to Tecate. Looks like Tecate route (to SF) is an additional hour.

My experience with crossing at Tecate SB is no wait, drive right up (usually 7-8am any day). NB Tecate is a hit/miss. I check wait times NB, sometimes it's accurate, lots of times not.

Question about Mexicali crossing: is SB usually a breeze? NB depends on time of day? (Like rush hour traffic.)

Just for the record, Tecate parking (for FMM) has never been a problem for me. Cross over, go down a block, turn right, go around the block, end up at back of immigration building, traffic cones block parking places, if someone is there, they'll move a cone so I can park there. Usually no one around, just double park next to cones, while wife runs in for FMM. I've also parked down the block, but it hasn't been a problem. I read this method by DK, I think.

Thx everyone for feedback.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

F*ck it.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 12-5-2020 at 03:42 PM

My experience with the official Border Time Wait app has been pretty bad, especially at Tecate.
As to southbound, except for a holiday or some particular border issues southbound on either one is a breeze, drive up and drive through.
Our experience in parking at Mexicali has not been so goo.
We generally have several vehicles and some end up parking blocks away, particularly a problem if pulling a boat or a trailer.
Never had much parking issues at Tecate, just make a lap around some blocks and it works.
Maybe check your map app with traffic enabled at random times and see it the line is red going into either one, southbound. Probably not.

As to southbound through Mexicali.... piece of cake,
As soon as you cross you will see a 45 degree angle street heading southeast. Just follow it and watch for signs.
Town is pretty uncomplicated so if you feel lost just head south.
Assuming you are traveling in the day the sun should tell you which way is south. Eventually you get on track, no matter whether or not you stray. Easiest city anywhere to navigate.

After you clear the main city you will find lots of banks for pesos and excellent supermercados for stocking up. Just get stocked before you leave town, because it gets pretty bleak for a long way after that. I really like last minute shopping in Mexicali. Ice, cervezas, whatever last minute needs are easy to find.
eguillermo
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2020 at 06:34 PM

I'll be grateful for any updates on the situation Don Pisto describes, as a dozen days from now I'd be planning to go through Mexicali on my way south.

Certainly, if officials are going to hassle you or even turn you back across the border at Mexicali, then other routes would be better!
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2020 at 11:30 PM

''.... permanent health roadblocks from Friday through Sunday at the accesses to Mexicali from Calexico, as well as on main roads.''

Other towns might follow suit down the road without notice. Advisable to have a credible story if questioned.

F*ck it.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-6-2020 at 05:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
"Essential Travel" is fine, right? If you have a place near Pescadero or Todos Santos then it is essential to check on your property. Hopefully you have a residential visa or some other way to prove that... a water bill, maybe? Hopefully more ideas will follow!

...or do the right thing and delay non-essential travel until restriction is lifted. :light:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

eguillermo
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2020 at 11:16 AM

RE doing right things mtgoat, I'm definitely not in the "ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist" camp; but I'm not it in the "just stay at home and bake bread until everyone is vaccinated" camp either.

If you're careful about distance, masking, and cleanliness, I think you can travel safely, with full respect for locals. Blanket restrictions are blunt tools that can cause as much waste and harm as protection IMO.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 12-6-2020 at 11:28 AM
Says the traveling man

...or do the right thing and delay non-essential travel until restriction is lifted. :light:[/rquote]

Amazing.
You are the guy that posted from Arizona, from the Pacific Northwest, reported on your argument with a deli owner in Northern Cal.
But, don't anyone else dare to travel
Uh uh.... no way,
"Read my lips" said the double talking troll......
eguillermo
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2020 at 07:04 PM

I'm mildly astonished mtgoat didn't pick an argument with my little reply :)

But I don't wanna fight with no one, I don't wanna infect no one; I just wanna get down to those fine blue waters and paddle my kayak and fish and camp in places where the next human is a mile or more away.

But I'm just about to the point of giving up on the idea. Normally I'd stay in a hotel in Calexico on the way down, and instead planned on a Salton Sea campground this year. Well, those are all closed now. And if there are roadblocks and extra hassles . . . oh man.

My old heart near broke when I had to cancel a June/July paddling trip in Alaska, mostly because the surge at that point meant my test results -- I arranged two tests, to be sure -- were very late. I later learned that there was a doc in San Francisco that would give you certified overnight results, for 500 bucks.

If there's any similar kind of a dodge around trip-busting roadblocks, I sure would love to know about it (maybe via PM?).
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2020 at 09:11 PM

Lee,
If you are leaving from Chula Vista, perhaps consider crossing southbound at Otay Mesa versus Tecate. It is freeway clear to the border. It is easy to get on the 2D eastbound from there. After a short curvy section, it's almost entirely 110 KPH (68 MPH) to the Rumorosa Grade.

Disadvantage: The toll to El Hongo, east of Tecate, is about $6.50

Advantages: Avoids the twisty Hwy 94 slow going to Tecate. From Chula Vista that avoids the slow drive east past Otay Lakes to meet the 94 in Jamul or another circuitous route to the 94. Avoids driving through city traffic in Tecate with their mordida hungry police.

Starting from San Diego, I use both Tecate and Otay Mesa. It's a coin toss from here. From the Chula Vista I-5 / I-805 vicinity, I'd definitely choose Otay Mesa.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2020 at 09:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  
Lee,
If you are leaving from Chula Vista, perhaps consider crossing southbound at Otay Mesa versus Tecate. It is freeway clear to the border. It is easy to get on the 2D eastbound from there. After a short curvy section, it's almost entirely 110 KPH (68 MPH) to the Rumorosa Grade.

Looks like a great route. Makes sense. I'll take it if I launch from SD/CV.

Thinking of staging in El Centro night before.

(Usually take Telegraph Canyon EB and enjoy the drive around Otay Lakes. I could live in that area.)

F*ck it.
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2020 at 08:15 AM

Mexicali is a pretty easy drive even in our large RV towing a Jeep. We crossed through Mexicali East last month and went down to San Felipe. The roads are in great shape.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.