Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Crossing Andrade/Los Algodones vs Mexicali
Allwaters
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2020 at 05:51 AM
Crossing Andrade/Los Algodones vs Mexicali

Hi all,
Last yr we crossed at Mexicali going in both directions. Aside from last minute shopping I prefer not to have to drive through such a large sprawl. I am heading south via 5 and was wondering what the crossing is like at Andrade/Los Algodones. Anyone had experience as of late making that xing? Or for that matter is there also a xing at San Luis, and how is that one? If so how'd things go like border personnel, ease and navigating to hwy 2D westbound. I plan to have everything ready to facilitate flow, like car ins, FFM, passport etc...

[Edited on 12-17-2020 by Allwaters]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2020 at 06:38 AM

I usually cross at San Luis. Sometimes at Andrade. Either one is preferable for me if coming from the east. At San Luis, 2d is one block from the border crossing
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2020 at 08:34 AM

Mexicali East seems pretty easy to me but we have an RV.

https://heymulege.com/2020/11/27/rving-to-mulege-november-20...

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-17-2020 at 10:12 AM

I crossed going south at San Luis once, but it was at least six or seven years ago. It was the fastest, simplest crossing ever for me, but it was when I believed that an FFM was not required, so I don't know what that would have been like.

Despite my GPS telling me to turn around and go back through Yuma to Mexicali, I ignored it and was able to make the right turn to 2D, and it was a nice drive!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2020 at 10:29 AM

I've crossed a half dozen time at San Luis when heading to Sonora from LA.

San Luis is super easy.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2020 at 10:44 AM

We have crossed at Andrade the last several years. It opens at 7 am and they will inspect your rig right there. Usually not busy. I don't know any current info. I get my fmm in advance by walking over the day before. In the past we have had dental work done in Algodonas.
We take the road out of Algodonas that heads southwest and joins onto hwy 8 and then to hwy 2 (toll road), then over to hwy 5 and South to SF. It seems out of the way if your coming from the west. San Luis would be way out of your way.

More selection of places to change your money at Mexicali west. The only place in at Andrade is in Algodonas. There is a money changer in San Luis.
Allwaters
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2020 at 11:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajarich  
We have crossed at Andrade the last several years. It opens at 7 am and they will inspect your rig right there. Usually not busy. I don't know any current info. I get my fmm in advance by walking over the day before. In the past we have had dental work done in Algodonas.
We take the road out of Algodonas that heads southwest and joins onto hwy 8 and then to hwy 2 (toll road), then over to hwy 5 and South to SF. It seems out of the way if your coming from the west. San Luis would be way out of your way.

More selection of places to change your money at Mexicali west. The only place in at Andrade is in Algodonas. There is a money changer in San Luis.
Allwaters
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2020 at 11:53 AM

Hey Baja Rich, I am now pretty sure I will crossing at San Luis, do you have some link of a map location to the money exchange house there? Or I reckon I can just go to an ATM, it spits out Mex pesos right?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-17-2020 at 12:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Allwaters  
I am now pretty sure I will crossing at San Luis, do you have some link of a map location to the money exchange house there? Or I reckon I can just go to an ATM, it spits out Mex pesos right?

I like to arrive at the border with enough pesos on board to give me options about where, and when I will get more. The Wells Fargo bank here in Northern CA keeps five or six hundred dollars worth of pesos on hand so I top off my travel cash before I leave.

I don't know, or care what the exchange rate is, it's chump change gladly spent for the convenience it provides!

After that, I use ATMs or banks as necessary and available. I hate to have a large amount of cash while on the road, but I don't get too low because sometimes things shut down!

[Edited on 12-17-2020 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaUtah
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2020 at 12:55 PM

The King Market in San Luis has a cambio. Just to the left once inside the store. They open at 7am. I changed $500 early November without a problem. King Market is on the west side of Main Street just south of traffic circle.

San Luis is my new favorite sb crossing. I have been crossing at Mexicali west since 2014 but the better restaurant and hotel choices in Yuma, cheap Arizona gas, easy sb crossing at San Luis and Mx 2/2d that avoids all the problems of driving through Mexicali. It’s a no brainer for me coming from SLC. I’ll try it nb in January and see if I’m just as happy that way.

Andy
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2020 at 07:48 PM

Hey Baja Rich, I am now pretty sure I will crossing at San Luis, do you have some link of a map location to the money exchange house there? Or I reckon I can just go to an ATM, it spits out Mex pesos right?

I don't have a map and its been several years since I was there. As I recall it was a brick building on the left just before the entrance. Don't hold me to that though.
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2020 at 12:19 AM

I posted directions from San Luis to Mex5 south a while back:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=94922#pid1194...

[Edited on 12-18-2020 by KasloKid]
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
12-18-2020 at 01:40 AM
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2020 at 04:19 AM

Algodones track to Hwy5
I found the nav on my car and Google maps ignore this good way.
Been using this way for over 10 years.
It is possible to get thru Algodones with a trailer, but not a 5th wheel. The turns in town are very tight. With a trailer I always use Mexicali East.

Zoom way in on the KML file attached for all those critical details in town and at Hwy5

Speeds are your choice on Hwy 2 usually 65 and along the canal 50-60. Two stop signs along the canal road. Several wimpy speed bumps on the canal road.

Attachment: Alg Sr.kml (13kB)
This file has been downloaded 145 times
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2020 at 08:50 AM

I don't have a map and its been several years since I was there. As I recall it was a brick building on the left just before the entrance. Don't hold me to that though.
Allwaters
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2020 at 03:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I am now pretty sure I will crossing at San Luis, do you have some link of a map location to the money exchange house there? Or I reckon I can just go to an ATM, it spits out Mex pesos right?

I like to arrive at the border with enough pesos on board to give me options about where, and when I will get more. The Wells Fargo bank here in Northern CA keeps five or six hundred dollars worth of pesos on hand so I top off my travel cash before I leave.

I don't know, or care what the exchange rate is, it's chump change gladly spent for the convenience it provides!

After that, I use ATMs or banks as necessary and available. I hate to have a large amount of cash while on the road, but I don't get too low because sometimes things shut down!

Allwaters
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2020 at 04:01 PM

I am now pretty sure I will crossing at San Luis, do you have some link of a map location to the money exchange house there? Or I reckon I can just go to an ATM, it spits out Mex pesos jright?

Dang good idea, I'll hit up my bank see if they keep any on hand...
Allwaters
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2020 at 04:04 PM

I am now pretty sure I will crossing at San Luis, do you have some link of a map location to the money exchange house there? Or I reckon I can just go to an ATM, it spits out Mex pesos jright?

Dang good idea, I'll hit up my bank see if they keep any on hand...
Allwaters
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2020 at 04:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaUtah  
The King Market in San Luis has a cambio. Just to the left once inside the store. They open at 7am. I changed $500 early November without a problem. King Market is on the west side of Main Street just south of traffic circle.

San Luis is my new favorite sb crossing. I have been crossing at Mexicali west since 2014 but the better restaurant and hotel choices in Yuma, cheap Arizona gas, easy sb crossing at San Luis and Mx 2/2d that avoids all the problems of driving through Mexicali. It’s a no brainer for me coming from SLC. I’ll try it nb in January and see if I’m just as happy that way.

Thanx BajaUtah, when are you planning on c4ossing, I am going to try to do so around Jan 15th, u interested in caravaning? I am headed down to Loreto but may stop in Gonzaga, am flexible...
Allwaters
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2020 at 04:15 PM

Having issues with replying to answers... I will be crossing around Jan 15, feel like caravaning on down? Not sure where ur destination is but I am headed to Loreto area may stop in Gonzaga but am flexible...
BajaUtah
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2020 at 04:39 PM

Opposite directions. I’m in La Ribera now and will head north mid January

Andy
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.