BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  14
Author: Subject: ALERT! Mary Ann Humfreville is MISSING (L.A. Bay area)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-25-2020 at 09:11 AM
Posted by Kevin Humfreville on Facebook

MaryAnn notice.jpg - 108kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

dboyd3852

[*] posted on 12-26-2020 at 10:16 AM

I was able to get an article about Mary Ann's disappearance in the Mexico News Daily but I don't know how to post it here. Can someone help me?
dboyd3852

[*] posted on 12-26-2020 at 10:18 AM

Try this link for the article about Mary Ann:

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/baja-california-woman-has-b...
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2020 at 10:40 AM
Mary Ann, Mike and the boys, in the 1980s

From the boys' uncle, Tony:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 12-26-2020 at 12:54 PM

My heart goes out to Mary Ann's family and friends
I never met her, or Mike but did read some of his writings and admired their adventuresome spirit.

There is something deeply wrong in the LA Bay environment.
This is not the first, nor likely the last, of strange and terrible events in this tiny village.

There was the murder a couple years ago.... My sketchy memory says it was all about a boat or something, not sure

Raquel, a prominent owner of a popular beach resort, murdered in Catavina en route to Ensenada about ten years ago.

Now this??? What in the wide wide world is going on down there?

I have been to LABay every year for the past 25 years, love the place, but now wondering if it is safe or prudent to go there.

This per capita rate of violence makes Chicago look like a playground.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2020 at 01:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
I never met her, or Mike but did read some of his writings and admired their adventuresome spirit.

This is not the first, nor likely the last, of strange and terrible events in this tiny village.

There was the murder a couple years ago.... My sketchy memory says it was all about a boat or something, not sure

Raquel, a prominent owner of a popular beach resort, murdered in Catavina en route to Ensenada about ten years ago.

I have been to LABay every year for the past 25 years, love the place, but now wondering if it is safe or prudent to go there.

That's a bit of an exaggeration. One event was 10 years ago and happened 100 miles away from BoLA.

Let's see what happens here.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 12-26-2020 at 01:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

That's a bit of an exaggeration. One event was 10 years ago and happened 100 miles away from BoLA.

Jo Ann Butler and Ray Ball shot dead june 2018.......what really makes this disturbing is the san felipe lady that vanished from a hike last year, geeze these are defenseless old ladies:no:

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-26-2020 at 02:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  

Jo Ann Butler and Ray Ball shot dead june 2018.......what really makes this disturbing is the san felipe lady that vanished from a hike last year, geeze these are defenseless old ladies:no:

Also in 2018, Charles Crabtree murdered at BOLA.

Violence, robbery and theft is not uncommon in many rural areas due to societal decay, meth addiction, etc.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2020 at 02:13 PM

Raquel was co-owner of Raquel & Larry's on Bahía de los Angeles, a motel and restaurant. I believe she was killed by an angry employee who knew she was on a run to deposit funds at the bank in San Quintín.

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 12-27-2020 at 01:12 PM

you are correct there's some sketchy chit going on out there:( some thoughts from 15 years ago......

Sept. 1, 2006, Name withheld by request, Bahia de los Angeles, Baja California, Mexico:

Regarding the articles involving the murder of Raquel Fife or the shooting in Baja, I have a little information that might be of interest.

In July, I went to Bahia de los Angeles for a week. While at the gas station, a new model black Ford Expedition pulled up. A hispanic male with a shaved head and gang tattoos got out and gassed up. This guy had tattoos from head to toe. As a law enforcement officer in California, I recognized the tattoos to in fact be gang prison tattoos from the Los Angeles region rather than decorative ink.

The guy was about 30 years old and appeared to be under the influence of methamphetamine. I have been going to Bahia de los Angeles for long enough to know that this guy did not belong.

As responsible people, we don't like to make assumptions. However, based on my training and experience, I would bet my paycheck this guy was in the area for the purpose of narcotics transportation.

I have heard that meth labs are beginning to pop up in the Bahia de los Angeles (L.A. Bay) region of Baja. It is really a perfect place for this because of the desolation, lack of law enforcement and easy transportation by land, air or sea.

When drug dealers start to infiltrate a small fishing village like Bahia de los Angeles, ruthless and previously unheard of crimes, like the robbery and killing of L.A. Bay's beloved Raquel, start to occur.

I hope and pray that this little fishing village does not fall victim to the destructive terror of drug related crime.

John Hiatt
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2020 at 01:30 PM

you are correct there's some sketchy chit going on out there:( some thoughts from 15 years ago......

Sept. 1, 2006, Name withheld by request, Bahia de los Angeles, Baja California, Mexico:

Regarding the articles involving the murder of Raquel Fife or the shooting in Baja, I have a little information that might be of interest.

In July, I went to Bahia de los Angeles for a week. While at the gas station, a new model black Ford Expedition pulled up. A hispanic male with a shaved head and gang tattoos got out and gassed up. This guy had tattoos from head to toe. As a law enforcement officer in California, I recognized the tattoos to in fact be gang prison tattoos from the Los Angeles region rather than decorative ink.

The guy was about 30 years old and appeared to be under the influence of methamphetamine. I have been going to Bahia de los Angeles for long enough to know that this guy did not belong.

As responsible people, we don't like to make assumptions. However, based on my training and experience, I would bet my paycheck this guy was in the area for the purpose of narcotics transportation.

I have heard that meth labs are beginning to pop up in the Bahia de los Angeles (L.A. Bay) region of Baja. It is really a perfect place for this because of the desolation, lack of law enforcement and easy transportation by land, air or sea.

When drug dealers start to infiltrate a small fishing village like Bahia de los Angeles, ruthless and previously unheard of crimes, like the robbery and killing of L.A. Bay's beloved Raquel, start to occur.

I hope and pray that this little fishing village does not fall victim to the destructive terror of drug related crime.

And 15 years later, none of the prophecy from this 3rd hand story (made up?) has happened.

[Edited on 12-27-2020 by JZ]

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2020 at 01:53 PM

That murderer was apprehended and I believe was shot dead by the police or has life in prison. Can't remember.
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2020 at 04:18 PM

Sadness beyond words .. LG

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-27-2020 at 05:46 PM

And 15 years later, none of the prophecy from this 3rd hand story (made up?) has happened.

----so, Don Pisto's prayers must have worked.

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 12-27-2020 at 06:14 PM

okay okay I did a poor confusing job relating this story that I had saved from mexfish some time ago https://www.mexfish.com/bola/bola2006/bola060904b/bola060904... it was a reply to bajarunner about his questioning of what the heck is happening out in BoLA and Raquel and how things started going sideways years ago.
believe it don't believe I don't really care, we're all just hoping for best for Mary Ann.

John Hiatt
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2020 at 08:57 PM

All good.

dboyd3852

[*] posted on 12-28-2020 at 10:05 AM

Gotta keep the faith for Mary Ann and hope the authorities will do something whatever happened. I know for me (and I LOVE BOLA) we won't be going there and haven't since the double murder in 2018 as something bad is going on down there and we don't feel safe. One culprit was arrested in those murders but the other suspects are out there and with COVID going on who knows if anything is being done. We have to hope both that and Mary Ann's disappearance are being investigated to the fullest. Here is a link to an article that appeared in the Los Angeles Times about missing Americans in Mexico that gives an interesting point of view.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-10-25/american...

[Edited on 12-28-2020 by dboyd3852]
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2020 at 10:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  

----so, Don Pisto's prayers must have worked.

NO
2 years ago, the cartel leadership chain stepped in and mitigated a business risk to their operations. They said don't let it happen again.
And it hasn't.

The BofLA folks need to scream for some military presence that the Cartels don't like around. When the Arrellano cartel was doing the same in TJ in the early 2000's the military put in an Army base until the Cartel backed off.
I remember well the mutilated soldier torso's hanging from the bridge @ the Otay cutoff from the old TJ free road.
Rich TJ folks paid the Army General's to come take care of business and have poor soldiers die, not them.

Es Todo Bueno
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2020 at 08:20 PM

Has there been any update at all about the disappearance of Mary Ann? We are still hoping for a positive outcome.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2020 at 11:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  
Has there been any update at all about the disappearance of Mary Ann? We are still hoping for a positive outcome.

The investigation is ongoing.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  14

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.