BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  14
Author: Subject: ALERT! Mary Ann Humfreville is MISSING (L.A. Bay area)
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2021 at 07:51 PM

The community needs to approach the military to to do some drive throughs of ALL the neighborhoods. This approach is a neutral act that doesn't target specific homes, but acts as a general deterrence and lets the bad guys know everybody is peeed.
We had a suspected Cartel kidnap house in our Mision back in 2008 and someone with connections got the military to cruise through Bajamar on weekends for a month.
50 calibers on six Humvee's pointed @ everybody houses as they slowly drove by. I was impressed by the approach and rumor mill said it worked.

Es Todo Bueno
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2021 at 03:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Has anyone considered the idea that she may not want to be found?
Just asking, not trying to provoke a battle here.

Most pet owners I know would not leave their pets like that without at least a note as to their care.

This is all very sad.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2021 at 05:11 PM

Just a thought..... I never met her, but always enjoyed Mike's writing and figure one day in my annual trek to LABay our paths might cross.

I can tell you for a fact, as Mary Ann's friend for almost 30 years, there is absolutely no way that Mary Ann would drive off into the sunset. She was taken against her will, at some point during the night, as Larry C posted. She left behind her shoes, glasses, purse containing her ID, cards and American dollars, her dog and cat. She was not the sad widow that threw back her bedcovers and walked out the door and drove off into the night.

She was taken.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2021 at 08:38 AM

Gracias P!

Quote: Originally posted by Paulina  
Just a thought..... I never met her, but always enjoyed Mike's writing and figure one day in my annual trek to LABay our paths might cross.

I can tell you for a fact, as Mary Ann's friend for almost 30 years, there is absolutely no way that Mary Ann would drive off into the sunset. She was taken against her will, at some point during the night, as Larry C posted. She left behind her shoes, glasses, purse containing her ID, cards and American dollars, her dog and cat. She was not the sad widow that threw back her bedcovers and walked out the door and drove off into the night.

She was taken.

P>*)))>{

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2021 at 11:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Paulina  

She was taken.

P>*)))>{

It is just crazy to think that something like this happened.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2021 at 12:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

I interpret the above to mean, being taken is remote, not possible, improbable, not reality, never going to happen.

In my world, this is possible and probable. Not crazy. Life is cheap in many parts of the world. MX is most definitely one of them.

Don't be lulled into a false sense of security.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-12-2021 at 01:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

I interpret the above to mean, being taken is remote, not possible, improbable, not reality, never going to happen.

In my world, this is possible and probable. Not crazy. Life is cheap in many parts of the world. MX is most definitely one of them.

This is the 3rd violent crime against gringos in past few years. There was a couple ( butler, ball) killed a few years ago. Then a man (crabtree) killed shortly after the couple.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-13-2021 at 12:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

This is the 3rd violent crime against gringos in past few years. There was a couple ( butler, ball) killed a few years ago. Then a man (crabtree) killed shortly after the couple.

Some folks live in a different kind of bubble.

Sad and worrisome incident. Unlikely to be the last in Baja.

Don't believe everything you think....
Enrique2012
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2021 at 03:09 PM

I find it interesting that Maryann's place was "ransacked" and that -

"She left behind her shoes, glasses, purse containing her ID, cards and American dollars,"

They took the time to ransack her place but didn't take her cash?
Mother of Dragons
Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 1-14-2021 at 07:12 AM

I too am wondering where the ‘ransacked’ information came from as I have not seen that anywhere else.

I was thinking this was another robbery outside that she interrupted gone horrifically bad but if they went into the home then why physically remove her? If you are going to kill someone why bother taking the body with you?

I hope she is found...she clearly was very loved by all that knew her❤️

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2021 at 07:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Mother of Dragons  

If you are going to kill someone why bother taking the body with you?

Could there be ransom money involved? I kind of doubt it though. That requires the sort of sophistication that is lacking in this part of the world.
Mother of Dragons
Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 1-14-2021 at 07:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

Could there be ransom money involved? I kind of doubt it though. That requires the sort of sophistication that is lacking in this part of the world.

I think we would’ve heard of a ransom demand by now...they stole the truck and Mary Ann then I’m assuming they had to immediately hide or do away with both so I don’t think this was well thought out.

So heartbreaking.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2021 at 08:12 AM

grand pregunta....what the was the motive of this crime? was her truck some sort of late model, desirable to those who steal cars?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-14-2021 at 08:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
grand pregunta....what the was the motive of this crime? was her truck some sort of late model, desirable to those who steal cars?

From the opening post of this thread:
1998 Red Ford F-150 Calif. 7A92402

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2021 at 09:55 AM

Chaos rules:
Bad stuff happens after midnight.
Become a liability instead of an asset at all costs or means necessary.
Never let yourself be taken from the place your at.

Es Todo Bueno
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2021 at 11:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

From the opening post of this thread:
1998 Red Ford F-150 Calif. 7A92402

Answers in plain sight.

To someone without a vehicle, this is a pot of gold. Keep or sell for bucks. Just thinking outside the box.

Motive? Don't need no stinking motive.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-14-2021 at 12:17 PM

Mary Ann's home is 3-4 road miles south from town... only a few other homes near hers, mostly Americans who are not all full-timers. Camp Gecko is about a mile south. Nomads are on both directions from her home. A home invasion in the middle of the night had to have an accomplice, driving a vehicle to get there and leave, wouldn't he?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2021 at 12:54 PM

A truck like that would be easy to fence for a few hundred bucks cash, or trade for some drugs. They could have walked there, or just been in the area.

The typical scenario is some low lifes in the area get to know the habits of the people that live nearby and plan a burglary. An isolated house with no security guard / gate is an easy target. Then, the burgers are surprised in the act and get in a confrontation with the homeowner. This was the scenario with at least 5 similar incidents involving ex pats.

This is all speculation, and I hope that it is not the case. One thing to consider is that if they left without the purse and the money, they would not have money for gas. How far could they get? I would look around the nearby areas for the truck; the junkyard, road to San Francisquito, dirt roads in surrounding areas.

Find that truck and you will find the culprits.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2021 at 07:16 PM

Very disturbing that we have not found out what happened yet. She is actively in my prayers daily.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2021 at 08:17 PM

Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  14

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.