BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  14
Author: Subject: ALERT! Mary Ann Humfreville is MISSING (L.A. Bay area)
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2020 at 08:16 AM

This thread has me heartbroken. She has been in my prayers.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2020 at 11:34 AM

I just keep thinking - what possible value could a 74 year old retiree have been to anyone? This is so senseless.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-29-2020 at 01:50 PM

Exactly, she couldn't hurt a flea. Mary Ann spent quiet days reading paperbacks and looking out to the islands in the bay. So very sad. I have heard no updates from her son. The investigation continues.

Her home (2005 photo) with Mike and Mary Ann out front:

10-22-05 048.jpg - 57kB

[Edited on 12-29-2020 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2020 at 01:57 PM

If foul play, she was probably a witness.
Maybe those who took her truck (if that is the case), didn`t want a witness.

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2020 at 02:35 PM

I have not been an active person on this forum for sometime. My husband died 7 years ago and 2+ years ago I sold my property in Bahia Asuncion. Being an older woman traveling and living alone in Baja became a worry for me, even in the tranquil village of Bahia Asuncion there were sketchy folks coming and going and drug use was apparent. I am by nature an adventurer and an independent woman but whatever has happened to Mary Ann was what kept me awake at night. The unknown is so troubling. Was a 22 year old ford pickup the catalyst for this disappearance? If so, then there is a strong reason for everyone to be troubled about their safety. I so hope this is resolved soon with the best of results but it is a cautionary note for women living and traveling alone.
dboyd3852

sad.gif posted on 12-29-2020 at 03:05 PM

My sentiments exactly but she always felt safe there and EVERYONE in BOLA knew her so we thought she would be okay. It's VERY sad if BOLA has fallen that far that this could happen to someone that only had a 20+ year old truck as the catalyst (as you said) and was a quiet retiree enjoying her time in the solitude. I am hoping the authorities are REALLY taking notice and not only solving this mystery but getting this beautiful little haven back to it's glory so Americans and others will come there AND feel safe. Because right now me and my friends who use to go there all the time don't even feel safe to go there to help with the search let alone for a vacation. REALLY, REALLY disturbing and devastating!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2020 at 03:24 PM

We should avoid jumping to conclusions.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Mother of Dragons
Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 12-29-2020 at 03:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
This thread has me heartbroken. She has been in my prayers.

Beyond heartbroken.
Making me rethink traveling alone.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-29-2020 at 05:21 PM

Just to make sure everyone understands, Mary Ann was a full-time resident and not a 'traveler' beyond the couple times a year (I believe) she went north to see family or get supplies.

Both she and Mike were very involved in our early get-togethers providing enthusiasm and support. Mike was a prolific contributor here on Baja Nomad as well as Amigos de Baja, before it.
Mike's stories are hosted here (2002 to 2006): https://math.ucr.edu/~ftm/bajaPages/Correspondents/BajaWithM...
Several of them formed his 2006 book, published by Sunbelt, In the Shadow of the Volcano.

Mike suffered a massive heart attack in L.A. Bay (Nov. 2006) not much more than a year after they bought their home (it seems, Paulina can correct me on this). Mary Ann tried to get air-evac to fly him out, but to no avail. She drove him to San Quintín, for the hospital. Mike didn't make it and she brought him back to be buried in the little cemetery in L.A. Bay.

Just a few days later, we were in L.A. Bay and visited Mike:

This is my favorite photo of him, examining it like he must have examined his mars lander work for the JPL...

I hope Mary Ann is found... Keep an eye out for her, amigos in Baja.

[Edited on 12-30-2020 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

24baja
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wishing we were in BOLA

[*] posted on 12-30-2020 at 12:06 PM

This is what I know, speculation is usually wrong and troubles those of us who know and love the missing or the victimized, it is best kept to yourself. Keeping Mary Ann, her close and extended family in my thoughts and Prayers many times a day. I love you my dear friend!
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-30-2020 at 12:14 PM

It is a troubling, senseless disappearance and the investigation seems to be being kept very very quiet. Of course we all are hoping for a positive outcome.

But I want to address the idea of single women being in more danger. I think that even a couple or man may find themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time. Meth is certainly the cause of many crimes and they dont care what sex, age, race or financial standing you have. If you are a witness, or resist a robbery you can become collateral damage.

Bad things and people are everywhere...the world is a dangerous place period. Being vigilant, smart, careful, have cameras & dogs etc all might help keep you safe but there are random acts that no one can avoid.

I wont live in fear and try to be positive, careful & wrap myself in protective light but know that things can go sideways at any time.

MaryAnne...I hope whatever happened you are in a good place.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 12-30-2020 at 01:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
It is a troubling, senseless disappearance and the investigation seems to be being kept very very quiet. Of course we all are hoping for a positive outcome.

But I want to address the idea of single women being in more danger. I think that even a couple or man may find themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time. Meth is certainly the cause of many crimes and they dont care what sex, age, race or financial standing you have. If you are a witness, or resist a robbery you can become collateral damage.

Bad things and people are everywhere...the world is a dangerous place period. Being vigilant, smart, careful, have cameras & dogs etc all might help keep you safe but there are random acts that no one can avoid.

I wont live in fear and try to be positive, careful & wrap myself in protective light but know that things can go sideways at any time.

MaryAnne...I hope whatever happened you are in a good place.

Shari,
I agree with everything you said. Traveling and camping both in Baja and in the US I have always exercised caution about my surroundings but even more so now that I am in my latter 70's. Things can go sideways and life can change in an instant but like you I'm going to push on and do the things that make life worthwhile. This has been the only year since 1974 that I haven't been in Baja but you will see me again in 2021.

Wishing you and Juan a Happy New Year!
Kurt & Kathy
dboyd3852

[*] posted on 12-31-2020 at 06:20 PM

Happy New Years to the Baja Nomad bloggers. Hope 2021 brings much more happiness and joy than 2020. Glad to see this year end! And of course hoping for Mary Ann to be found and brought home. Love you, dear friend!
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2021 at 02:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Isn't that jumping to a conclusion ???

Really. And who is jumping to conclusions? We're just brainstorming.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 1-1-2021 at 03:29 PM

Any laughter on this thread is completely out of place.
24baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2021 at 08:35 PM

You know people who laugh at this need to remove themselves from this thread. This is a serious situation and I for one am devistated that my dear friend is missing. Show some respect skipjack joe or go to one of your off color threads and go at it, but please leave your *hit remarks somewhere else.
BeemerDan
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2021 at 08:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Isn't that jumping to a conclusion ???

I'm really saddened that you would use this thread to your own advantage in your personal beef with JZ, Mary Ann is one of the sweetest people I know, I first met her at the Tienda southend of town 10yrs ago while trying to convert dollars to peso<math is hard for me<

I also really enjoyed reading your ride reports.
Over the past few yrs though you've become a caustic persona here on BN.
Why is that?
Happy New Year Ged
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2021 at 10:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 24baja  
You know people who laugh at this need to remove themselves from this thread. This is a serious situation and I for one am devistated that my dear friend is missing. Show some respect skipjack joe or go to one of your off color threads and go at it, but please leave your *hit remarks somewhere else.

What the hell are you talking about? Please reread my comments. You're way off the mark and out of line.
24baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2021 at 06:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

What the hell are you talking about? Please reread my comments. You're way off the mark and out of line.

My deepest apologies Skipjack joe , I mis read the quotes. For some reason I read it as you and it should have been directed at Motoged and jz.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2021 at 07:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

My deepest apologies Skipjack joe , I mis read the quotes. For some reason I read it as you and it should have been directed at Motoged and jz.

I overreacted as well. Shouldn't be so sensitive to criticism.

Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  14

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.