BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  14
Author: Subject: ALERT! Mary Ann Humfreville is MISSING (L.A. Bay area)
Enrique2012
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2021 at 07:47 PM

Motoged has (inadvertently I'm guessing) caused many of us to ask -

Why Maryann? Why not Motoged?
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2021 at 09:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Enrique2012  

Wow. This thread is rapidly going downhill. Perhaps Doug should judiciously start to remove comments. This thread is too important.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2021 at 11:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Enrique2012  

enrique, what a thing to say. i have decided to charitably interpret your comment as a clumsy attempt at humor.
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2021 at 01:59 PM

the murderer was killed by the military up by marmol
Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

There was the murder a couple years ago.... My sketchy memory says it was all about a boat or something, not sure

That murderer was apprehended and I believe was shot dead by the police or has life in prison. Can't remember.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2021 at 07:12 AM

Still no news on the search?
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2021 at 10:50 AM

Wow, that really bad.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-8-2021 at 03:19 PM

Just chatted with her son. There is nothing new.
Federal police have been interviewing people in town but nobody will say a thing.
I sure hope she did not suffer... Mary Ann was a lovely person and wouldn't hurt a fly!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2021 at 08:55 AM

"nobody in town will say a thing" What makes you think anybody in town knows anything to say? This incident happened 4 miles south of town between 11 pm and 7 am so unlikely anyone saw anything to be able to say anything.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2021 at 09:05 AM

Hi Larry,
Thanks for your input!

I am simply relaying what her son tells me and it seems that the Federal Police think people in town know who did this? But, even if the locals don't, why the silence treatment to investigators. Perhaps it is cultural?

Your time estimate of the event is news to me. How did you get that?

That a harmless, single, older woman would be killed for her truck is such a distressing thing. All of you who live there are in danger if lawlessness is allowed to go unchecked. It was just two years ago that the old couple were killed for a boat, was it not?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2021 at 09:50 AM

Crazy times, not sure if it's meth, the economy or both that seem to be the cause to a rise in violent crime in Baja? BOLA is one of the places we really love to camp but these last few crimes make me rethink travel in the area in the near future.
La Gringa is top on the list but if people are being taken from and killed in their homes I'm not sure camping would be any better? Sad, I'm really missing Baja and have been waiting to get back to BOLA, just not sure.
I was really hoping she just broke down, ran out of gas or something of the sort but as time passes that seems less likely.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-9-2021 at 10:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Crazy times, not sure if it's meth, the economy or both that seem to be the cause to a rise in violent crime in Baja?

Causes are:
Decay of society, family structure and morality
Lack of economic opportunity
Drugs
Weak government

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2021 at 10:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Hi Larry,
it seems that the Federal Police think people in town know who did this? But, even if the locals don't, why the silence treatment to investigators. Perhaps it is cultural?

You bet its cultural and this type of citizenry behavior implies that a Cartel type person or group was associated to the event in some way, shape or form.
Cops ask the questions and they ALL know what Cartel will do if they talk.
Cops beg with their eyes for you to shut up and deal with it through some other legal entity other than with them.
The silver or lead Cartel hammer is a tough equation to deal with. Only recourse is for complete family to disappear to somewhere, which is impossible for most.

Es Todo Bueno
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2021 at 11:04 AM

Thanks Ted!

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-9-2021 at 11:19 AM

I suspect that the cartels would not want to attract unnecessary attention to their criminal activities by messing with ex-pats who are neither customers, or rivals.

My worry is about the want-to-be narcos that wash out of the cartels! They are unlikely to look for work in agriculture, retail, or any other legitimate business after living in gangland.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2021 at 12:02 PM

Unfortunately meth production and distribution is present throughout the peninsula. Some of the most remote areas are used for production, and even the smallest communities and towns now have gangs/cartels in charge.
If you speak to the local folk, they will tell you the police are controlled by these same forces.
It's everywhere now.

larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2021 at 03:41 PM

Hi Larry,
Thanks for your input!

I am simply relaying what her son tells me and it seems that the Federal Police think people in town know who did this? But, even if the locals don't, why the silence treatment to investigators. Perhaps it is cultural?

Your time estimate of the event is news to me. How did you get that?

That a harmless, single, older woman would be killed for her truck is such a distressing thing. All of you who live there are in danger if lawlessness is allowed to go unchecked. It was just two years ago that the old couple were killed for a boat, was it not?

The time of her disappearance is known to me because I am her next door neighbor. I saw her lights and TV on when I went to bed at 10pm Wed night and when I left to go on a utv ride the next morning at 7:30 her truck was gone. I didn't hear or see anything during the night so have no idea what happened. I consider "knowing" to mean that someone actually saw someone actually do something. Just to know who the bad guys are in town is not knowing who did it. There are probably lots of suspects, but actually knowing who did it is another matter all together.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2021 at 07:08 PM

Wow... I believe it was Carol who contacted her son, but you may be the closest neighbor? You guys must be freaked out? Don't answer that...
Thanks for your input!

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 1-10-2021 at 01:46 PM

Has anyone considered the idea that she may not want to be found?
Just asking, not trying to provoke a battle here.

I know that I have often thought that if I got a terminal prognosis from my annual exam that I would be tempted to load up a cooler, some snacks, my cot and some favorite books and head up a long Baja canyon in my trusty 2 wheel drive pickup. Once stuck, just set up camp and wait out the end in my favorite place. (Plus a bottle full of Ambien for when it got too bad.... or I run out of beer)

Just a thought..... I never met her, but always enjoyed Mike's writing and figure one day in my annual trek to LABay our paths might cross.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2021 at 02:23 PM

Her home was vandalized and her dog and cat were left there. She had friends and attended weekly functions in L.A. Bay that she didn't show up for. Her peace and quiet home and her two sons in the states would be her only other destinations besides going for supplies.

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 1-10-2021 at 06:44 PM

Her home was vandalized and her dog and cat were left there. She had friends and attended weekly functions in L.A. Bay that she didn't show up for. Her peace and quiet home and her two sons in the states would be her only other destinations besides going for supplies.

this is the second time it was suggested her home was ransacked/vandalized......do we know this as a fact?

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  14

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.