BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  14
Author: Subject: ALERT! Mary Ann Humfreville is MISSING (L.A. Bay area)
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-14-2021 at 08:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  
Chaos rules:
Bad stuff happens after midnight.
Become a liability instead of an asset at all costs or means necessary.
Never let yourself be taken from the place your at.

Easier said than done, in a country when gun ownership by a foreigner might be a bigger liability than an asset.

And I have no interest living in a compound with pit bulls running about. Yet another liability.

These types of thugs are probably well aware that gringos cant match their weapons. And they are probably GENERALLY aware that only about 7% of all violent crimes in Mexico even end in a conviction and jail time. And any potential witness are cowed in fear. And the police might be, too.

So, the odds of getting away with this are overwhelmingly in their favor.

Seriously, if an elderly lady driving a 22 year old truck is a potential target, who isn't? :?:

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2021 at 07:56 AM

i can image the scenario....except for the part where the bad guys choose to take her and leave cash behind. if the concern was her being a witness, they could silence her on site. bringing her along to do it elsewhere is certainly more effort. the previously mentioned kidnapping motive would the only reason i can come up with.
an elderly victim would certainly be less able to resist. i have this notion about kidnapping that as soon as the plan goes off the rails, its time to eliminate the victim. my most sincere sympathy to her family and friends.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-15-2021 at 08:10 AM

Kidnapping is common in Mexico (well, common is some parts of Mexico).
The apparent silence from family may indicate it was a kidnapping.

Since the locals and family apparently are not providing info,... seems to me some info is being held back.... so maybe it was kidnapping and currently unresolved?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2021 at 12:30 PM

then again, the family's lack of comments might just be they don't want to partake in our silly speculation.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-15-2021 at 12:53 PM

They are on Facebook, but only an aunt has posted to one of the many threads.
Basically, one of the two son's (I mentioned in the first post) came to me via email to help get the word out. More details were posted then, (such as the home condition) but after his speaking to the police, he asked that be removed.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2021 at 06:44 AM

Today is Mary Ann's birthday, age 74.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

dboyd3852

[*] posted on 1-18-2021 at 10:35 AM

I was just going to post it was her birthday yesterday. I always send her an e-card; something funny that I knew she'd like. Still can't believe this happened to one of my dearest friends who is also one of the sweetest people I've ever known! Happy birthday, wherever you are. Hope we find you soon. :(:(
24baja
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wishing we were in BOLA

[*] posted on 1-27-2021 at 04:59 PM

Bump up front, lets keep awarness going. I pray for and miss Mary Ann everyday, I cannot imagine Bahia de Los Angeles without her there.
white whale
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2021 at 07:04 PM

I haven't clicked in for a while, I over looked this last time obviously.
What a sad story, I kept hoping by page 7 some resolution must have occurred even if it was bad. After this amount of time the odds are very poor. I see comments about other outright murders here. In a town this small there must be a drug underbelly somewhere close.

I sure liked this place. I met a nice expat lady at the museum, not this lady but it seems like there is a significant community there, not just enjoying the lifestyle but being involving in making it better. Hopefully this case will be solved for the benefit for more than just her family. Normal times one of the US crime programs could put some pressure on officials in charge with a story like this.

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin' around Life During Wartime - Talking Heads '79
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2021 at 08:49 PM

Hard to believe that the truck hasn't turned up? So sad that the family hasn't got any kind of closer.
white whale
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2021 at 12:14 PM

Still no update? Bringing to mind a story that the NYTimes just did on this lady. Miriam Rodríguez. The story is so compelling it got hollywood interest and a bidding war for the film rights. A female Charles Bronson type for those in the +50 age group, minus the vigilante killings.

G D! the mexican cartel members are cruel.

Can't think that this case is too far off from the business of cartel kidnapping in mexico.

More difficult to carry out on an expat, but if the bad guys can reach loved ones in CAN/USA its just like the phone scams of today.

One thing I did find odd, she lived full time in Mexico but still had cali vehicle plates. Is this normal or is an actual MEX license plate only for Mex citizens? Years ago I remember the stories of tourists in florida being targeted because the bad guys new the car was a rental. And they ended up changing the rules to make the cars less identifiable.

Hoping the family still can get closure and justice, soon.

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin' around Life During Wartime - Talking Heads '79
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-16-2021 at 12:24 PM

Quote "One thing I did find odd, she lived full time in Mexico but still had cali vehicle plates"

Her vehicle is too old to be legally imported to Mexico, so MX plates would not be an option. CA plates would still work if the registration is current.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2021 at 12:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Quote "One thing I did find odd, she lived full time in Mexico but still had cali vehicle plates"

Her vehicle is too old to be legally imported to Mexico, so MX plates would not be an option. CA plates would still work if the registration is current.

It would have to be smogged. Not the easiest thing to do for an older vehicle. Can't have any codes going off.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2021 at 04:36 PM

Nothing at all? Jeez, this is beyond sad and disturbing.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-16-2021 at 05:57 PM

Not uncommon for people to declare a vehicle non-operative, or simply out of the state's jurisdiction. It saves you the insurance requirement which, especially with an older vehicle, could be more expensive than the conventional registration.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2021 at 04:43 PM

No word from her son... I think he is disgusted with Mexican police as well as the locals who refuse to be interviewed (answer questions) to help solve the crime. Let's have some closure... poor Mary Ann did not deserve this.

She came north to the U.S. occasionally. So, the truck would need to remain registered and insured.

okiebaja

Mood: Excited.

[*] posted on 2-22-2021 at 01:16 PM

Its expensive but there is a high resolution sat feed of the area on a daily basis. It would show a red pickup within 300 miles and its movement fairly easily.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2021 at 01:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by okiebaja  
Its expensive but there is a high resolution sat feed of the area on a daily basis. It would show a red pickup within 300 miles and its movement fairly easily.

Hmm. How expensive is expensive?

Can you provide a link with more info?

[Edited on 2-22-2021 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2021 at 08:39 PM

I'm with JZ, more info please. I would be willing to put some money down if it might help? What company is it?
white whale
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2021 at 03:13 PM

I guess that would have to be a US military Sat. for daily images.
ZOOM Earth I think just uses NASA for their daily images but they are only going to show terrain and cloud cover. The high res ground shots are static, once every few years update.

Tech help is great but I think the best method to get closure on this is to get on the ground with boots and embarrass the police and gov't officials to get out and start turning over rocks. The expats, community leaders, and local citizens need to get the media in for a day and shut down the road with a protest.

American woman kidnapped, the other murders in this tiny town are headlines no official would want to be hounded over. Squeaky wheel? It's tough to ask people to give up their privacy and protest for someone. Is the single digit % conviction rate for murders in mexico because the perps are just to smart to be caught? Yes Mexico has its hands full with cartel murders but this is also business to them and business for BOLA and Baja. This won't make the LA or Miami TV news but maybe in Mexicali or Cabo it might and some governors desk who doesn't want to deal with bad press.

What an awful thing to deal with.

Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  14

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.