Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Overnight at Phantom Ranch - Photos Added
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-1-2021 at 06:14 PM
Overnight at Phantom Ranch - Photos Added

Mi esposa and I just returned from a trip to the Grand Canyon. We hiked down the South Kaibab Trail (~7 miles), spent the night in a cabin at Phantom Ranch, then hiked up the Bright Angel Trail (~10 miles) the next day. Both days involved losing or gaining ~5,000' vert.

The view of the Canyon at the Kaibab trailhead. The layer of haze appeared to be from a fire on the north rim.

The South Kaibab is the no-nonsense way into the Canyon.

An artsy dead tree on the way down.

As we approached the Tip Off, we were passed by an uphill freight mule train. Virtually everything at Phantom Ranch arrives via mule.

The Black Bridge is at the bottom of the Kaibab Trail, built in the 1920s to cross the Colorado.

Our cabin at Phantom Ranch, complete with Christmas Wreath on the door.

On the way up the Bright Angel Trail, we saw numerous bighorn sheep.

A frozen spring approaching the south rim -- hey, I'm from SoCal so anything frozen, or anything wet amazes me.

[Edited on 1-4-2021 by StuckSucks]

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-1-2021 at 06:48 PM

I always enjoy your photos, you have a gift for framing your object of interest! Thanks for sharing!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2021 at 09:14 PM

Awesome report, that one is on my list along with a rim to rim hike, after my PCT through hike next year... What is the price to stay a night at the ranch? I was debating on doing a rim to rim in a day but an over night stop might be more enjoyable.

[Edited on 1-2-2021 by advrider]
Mother of Dragons
Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 1-2-2021 at 08:22 AM

What a cool trip.
Thanks for the report and amazing pics. I want to go now!
bajario
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2021 at 09:05 AM

Awesome, Would love to do that. Unfortunately my issue with heights would paralyze me.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-2-2021 at 09:17 AM

Thanks, Jim. We have been to the canyon just once and my wife wanted to do the mule ride down to the ranch... alas, it didn't happen... so thanks for the view!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-2-2021 at 09:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Awesome report, that one is on my list along with a rim to rim hike, after my PCT through hike next year... What is the price to stay a night at the ranch? I was debating on doing a rim to rim in a day but an over night stop might be more enjoyable.

My wife grabbed this room which opened up a few weeks ago -- it normally takes a year or longer on a lottery to get a room. Not sure on the price, but think it was around 130$ a night, plus the price of dinner or breakfast, should you want food.

Our room came with two bunk beds, two chairs and a table. There was a sink with cold water and a toilet. If you want warm water and a shower, those are located in a central building.

Overall, a super cool experience.

BTW this occurred on the South Kaibab Trail, only 24 hours prior to our arrival:
Phoenix man dies after falling from South Kaibab Trail at Grand Canyon National Park

bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2021 at 10:58 AM

I was at Phantom Ranch in 2003, arrived by canoe. We stopped there for lunch on our way down the river. I almost met my demise at Horn Rapid just downriver from there.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2021 at 04:00 PM

Wow beautiful pictures and an adventure walk for sure, thanks. I've only been to the Grand Canyon a couple of times many years ago. I would like to visit the glass or plastic shelf where you can walk out on it. I think that could be a rush.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-3-2021 at 06:34 PM

The South Kaibab Trail:

Dec. 17 was fall at Phantom Ranch:

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2021 at 07:56 PM
Rim to rim and back

I believe it to have been mid-October 1995 my son and I planned to accompany a friend on the attempt to run rim to rim to rim in a single push. We were pretty experienced at running ultra-distance events and in shape.

Started at around 5:00 a.m. and down the South Kiabab trail in darkness and we got into just a little slick ice for a few hundred yards. We got to the river not too long after sunrise and started up to the north rim. Our buddy was well ahead of us - we weren't being much help to him. We journeyed up probably a bit beyond half-way to the north rim and he met us on his way back! He was in a different league altogether. So, we turned around and returned also via the steeper and harder South Kaibab trail. Bright Angel Trail would have been less steep but longer and our truck was at Kiabab.

By the time we got back to the parking lot, all that was left was our truck. I figure we probably did 30 miles - in spite of not finishing what we had hoped to do, it was an adventure we'll never forget.

Now, 25 years later I realize how fortunate we were - son and I - to have been there together. Thanks Stuck for allowing me to recall those days.

John M

[Edited on 1-4-2021 by John M]
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2021 at 11:35 AM

Very nice photos.
Many years ago I accidently hiked to Phantom Ranch. Stopped for a potty break at Indian Gardens; I got separated from my group at that point. I hiked into Phantom by the light of a full moon - and threw my sleeping bag on a tarp in a flat place close to the trail to overnight. An unpleasant odor was in the area -- decided I'd figure it all out in the morning. Turns out, I had put my tarp/sleeping bag over a septic tank cover. I was just about 30 yards from the ranger cabin which I hadn't seen hiking in the night before. So I knocked on their door to explain my predicament. They gave me breakfast, radioed Indian Gardens - a couple from my group were hiking down to meet me hiking up. We had divvied up all the provisions - I was carrying all their breakfasts! There is more to the story, but an adventure I won't forget.
Also, I'd recommend a book called Death in the Grand Canyon - documents accidents from the early days to relative present - really fascinating reading.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-4-2021 at 03:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  

Also, I'd recommend a book called Death in the Grand Canyon - documents accidents from the early days to relative present - really fascinating reading.

My wife just purchased the latest edition and loves it. Darwin is alive and well.

Over The Edge: Death in Grand Canyon, Newly Expanded 10th Anniversary Edition Paperback – May 1, 2012

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2021 at 03:42 PM
Recommended reading also

We have many Grand Canyon titles but in addition to wilderone's suggestion, one of our favorites "Sunk Without a Sound - the Tragic Colorado Honeymoon of Glen and Bessie Hyde," by Brad Dimock - this late 1928 story is briefly covered in Over the Edge: Death in Grand Canyon.

John M

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.