BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja trailer travel this March
Padre

[*] posted on 1-9-2021 at 02:57 PM
Baja trailer travel this March

I just found / joined the Baja forum. We travel in a 22’ trailer. We took a 5 day Mexico “maiden voyage” last winter to Rocky Point that worked out pretty well. We were thinking a longer trip down Baja may be in our plans for this March, a nice place to social distance…
Some questions we have:
1. It looks like travel for gringos heading into Mexico is open. Any issues that people are aware of?
2. Any issues with a trailer of this size?
3. Border crossing recommendations?
4. We are comfortable dry camping, any nice places folks can suggest?
5. It seems like Mexican campgrounds / RV parks aren’t good at responding to emails.
A) Does that mean they are closed?
B) Are reservations at these places needed, or can you count on driving in.
C) Seems like the I-Overlander app is a good source of campgrounds / locations. Any other sources?
6. Any favorite places to recommend?
Thank you,
Padre (Paul)
ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 1-9-2021 at 04:17 PM

Welcome to the nomads! :light::bounce::light:

Viva Baja Got Baja. You are going to love it.

Ligui
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2021 at 06:50 PM

Issues? Anything can happen btwn now and March.

MX has been open for gringoes who have ESSENTIAL needs to be in MX. Non-essential means vacationers and looky loos.

Buy your ticket, take your chances.

You will prob hear from those who say MX is safe and has no virus. They are clueless and spreaders of misinformation.

Getting sick down South would be a mistake.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2021 at 07:00 PM

How long are you talking? Where are you coming from?

There are plenty of spots you can avoid the crowds.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-9-2021 at 07:21 PM

Covid is raging in Mexico so how comfortable are you outside of your country in a land without medical services you are accustomed to?

Now, once the world is back to normal, you will get all sorts of travel advice from Nomads.

I suggest you go to the Nomad Trip Reports forum to read and get some ideas where you want to go. Do you have a 4x4 vehicle, good tires, and an air pump?

Welcome to Baja Nomad!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2021 at 08:16 PM
I-overlander

We had intended to try some sites taken off I-Overlander on our way from Mexicali to La Paz last fall. 4 of the 5 we thought might work into our plans were a bust. All 4 were either closed or were so filthy you wouldn't let your enemy stay there. Our first experience with I Overlander site wasn't good. Maybe that is more the norm in Baja?

Our experience was that social distancing was practiced, at least where we went. Masks were not uncommon, and the businesses we used mostly required masks - though not absolutely enforced.

Take responsibility for your own behavior. It appears to me that the advice here on Nomad is really polarized on this issue. We made up our own minds.

John M
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-9-2021 at 10:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
We had intended to try some sites taken off I-Overlander on our way from Mexicali to La Paz last fall. 4 of the 5 we thought might work into our plans were a bust. All 4 were either closed or were so filthy you wouldn't let your enemy stay there. Our first experience with I Overlander site wasn't good. Maybe that is more the norm in Baja?

Our experience was that social distancing was practiced, at least where we went. Masks were not uncommon, and the businesses we used mostly required masks - though not absolutely enforced.

Take responsibility for your own behavior. It appears to me that the advice here on Nomad is really polarized on this issue. We made up our own minds.

John M

Who uses i-overlander? Bad info is most likely due to bad input.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2021 at 10:58 PM

Haven't used that app.

But have used FreeRoam in the US a good bit. Like it a lot. Can't speak for it's accuracy in Baja.

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2021 at 11:44 PM

I have been going to Baja since 1992 but will not be going this year due to my age and the Covid. Others might feel differently but that is my decision.

Are you aware that just about all roads off from Hwy's 5 and 1 are dirt roads, often 4wd or at least very washboardy? We pulled our Casita Trailer down there about 3 times and then bought a P/U Camper just because we were beating up the trailer so much.

Hwy 1 is very narrow with not much shoulder which is why we had the Casita, only 6'8" wide. We had enought close calls with it that I personally wouldn't take anything wider down. Others don't mind driving 8-1/2' wide Motor Home, but not me.

Hwy 5 is new and smooth, Hwy 1 not so much

I'm not a fan of i-overlander either. I think they are responsible for trashing nice campsites.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2021 at 06:49 AM

Issues? Anything can happen btwn now and March.

MX has been open for gringoes who have ESSENTIAL needs to be in MX. Non-essential means vacationers and looky loos.

Buy your ticket, take your chances.

You will prob hear from those who say MX is safe and has no virus. They are clueless and spreaders of misinformation.

Getting sick down South would be a mistake.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2021 at 08:22 AM

Here are some considerations op.

Most on this forum wouldn't dare get on a plane right now. But hundreds of thousands do it safely everyday. So, know your audience.

Neither the US or MX are stopping US citizens from driving into MX for holiday. MX was in the early days. But that stopped in June/July. Air travel is wide open, and MX wants you to come and spend money.

Lee is correct that the medical care is below US standards. If you are in an at risk group, you might want to pass, or be exceedingly careful.

Lots of places to camp and stay away from ppl.

[Edited on 1-10-2021 by JZ]

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2021 at 10:15 AM

Friday all is normal going south. The only issue is nobody in front of me and only my wife following. Nothing for the officials to do but inspect me.
Wife got the wave thru and I got the customs and immigration detailed queries. I had to show registration for trailer and Jeep on it. Had to show passport and permanent resident card. Customs took pics for all documents including VIN on the Jeep and trailer with her phone.
No other inspections and got the wave thru at the military place.

BTW, San Felipe now has available antibody quick testing for 3000 Pesos. I think that is the first time for general testing in SF.
Mr. Bills
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2021 at 10:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Who uses i-overlander? Bad info is most likely due to bad input.

Many people use i-overlander. Some are overlanders, some are vanlifers, some just call themselves campers.

And yes, just like any other open database there is some outdated info, incomplete info and incorrect info mixed in with the good stuff. iOverlander isn't AAA or the Michelin Guide but it doesn't pretend to be.

www.ioverlander.com

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-10-2021 at 12:46 PM

I have to smile when I see "campers" of many self-definitions looking for wilderness or "untouched" areas...all gathering in a place used by an app-happy culture....often finding it over-run with folks, littered with crap, or locked up.

Lots of people looking to find a magical spot for free (nothing wrong with that), only to find it less than what was imagined and hoped for. If you are looking for a quiet spot outback, it may also be suggested to use your imagination when exploring rather than using someone else's previous trip.

Whatever you do, pack out your crap.....and treat your campsights better than you would your own home space.

Don't believe everything you think....
lineman bill

[*] posted on 1-12-2021 at 03:14 PM

One other thing you and others should research thoroughly is medical insurance. Medicare. I'd traveled in Canada and Mexico many times with the assumption Medicare and my secondary ( Medigap ) had me covered the same as if I were in the USA. Wrong. Except for a few instances your Medicare provides no coverage. However with the right Medigap plan, that coverage jumps to 80% from the normal 20%. You can cover yourself and ( most of the time ) other members in you traveling party with a separate travel insurance.
OK folks, weigh in and roast me on this advise.
lineman bill

[*] posted on 1-12-2021 at 04:25 PM

Dammit Lencho, I thought I'd shaken free of you back in the 7th grade.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.