BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Dry Ice available in either Guerrero Negro or Santa Rosalia?
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2021 at 08:17 AM
Dry Ice available in either Guerrero Negro or Santa Rosalia?

Trying to keep meat frozen for an extended length of time.

John M

[Edited on 1-11-2021 by John M]
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-11-2021 at 10:07 AM

Don't know about dry ice, but it is also seemingly impossible to find block ice.

The super dooper coolers work well, but are very expensive.

Good luck with keeping your stuff cool.

Don't believe everything you think....
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 1-11-2021 at 10:08 AM

i havent seen anywhere that sells dry ice

you should go to the ice house and have them shave the ice on top of your cooler

as it melts it becomes a block that covers the meat

works great

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2021 at 10:10 AM

i know a Canadian lodge owner who winters here who puts a small freezer buried deep in the truck bed full of salmon and halibut. he plugs it in at night at a motel, and any other time when AC current is available. it works for him....and those he give fish to. 😃
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-11-2021 at 11:15 AM

Anywhere there are ice cream vendors out of trucks without onboard freezers or even more so, bicycle driven carts, would need dry ice. If you see one, ask!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 1-11-2021 at 12:34 PM

Don't know if this is something ur interested in: we have a fridge/freezer that runs 12V or 110. While driving the car battery runs the freezer, when we park, plug it in. Sometimes if a long drive I set it to 14 F, so if unplugged overnight frozen stuff still frozen. We recently bought a battery pack that charges either way, too. We tested it over the summer and it keeps the fridge cold for days, was great for camping, no slushy ice chest required.
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2021 at 03:44 PM

I use an ARB 50 qt fridge that I keep set on 0 degrees F. It is plugged into 12V in my little offroad trailer where I have two 12V batteries and a couple of 100 watt solar panels to keep them charged. I have spent months camped on the beach and had fozen food. I also have a Honda 2200 generator for backup power and the trailer is charged from my truck while on the road.

It has worked far better than the years I spent looking for ice every two weeks. An added plus is the space in the cooler is full of food, not ice.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2021 at 05:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Anywhere there are ice cream vendors out of trucks without onboard freezers or even more so, bicycle driven carts, would need dry ice. If you see one, ask!

That's a great idea! Good thinking, DK! Zuode Hao! (Good job, in Chinese)

John
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2021 at 05:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajarich  
An added plus is the space in the cooler is full of food, not ice.

Definitely a huge bonus. I may look into one of those for car camping, but I need one that's bear resistant.

John
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2021 at 05:18 PM

Not any help but I agree on the ARB cooler, been running one for ten plus years myself.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2021 at 06:04 PM

arb freezer? north of $1000 for a tiny freezer? because it operates on 12v?
wouldn't a small regular freezer. [3.5 cubic feet, $220] and an inverter [$20] be about 1/4 the price.?

[Edited on 1-12-2021 by pacificobob]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-11-2021 at 06:22 PM

Seems like a lot of bother to try to take frozen food on car-camping trips, expensive 12v refers, etc. Lots of great food can be cooked just relying on a cooler for refrigeration...
And after the ice is gone, many “perishables” keep for quite a wile w/o refrigeration (hard cheeses, eggs, vegetables, fruits, butter, etc.).
Get away from beer, when ice is gone, lots of liquor and wine choices are better at room temp...

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2021 at 10:06 PM

Back in the day we would pack up a 128 quart igloo with frozen protein and top it with dry ice and cover that with towels to eliminate as much air space as possible seal the lid with duct tape stuff it into the bed of the truck and wait until the end of week one to crack the seal. By then the chicken was just starting to defrost a bit so that was thrown on the grill first and got you a couple of meals. Then a few more days the duck breasts were thawed and then some steaks were thawed and a few more days after that the ribs were ready to grill then the rack of lamb, then the prime rib and then it was the start of week three and we would paddle the kayaks out to the shrimp boat and trade some sockets sets and old playboy mags for some seafood and then...........

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2021 at 11:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
arb freezer? north of $1000 for a tiny freezer? because it operates on 12v?
wouldn't a small regular freezer. [3.5 cubic feet, $220] and an inverter [$20] be about 1/4 the price.?

[Edited on 1-12-2021 by pacificobob]

It depends on the draw of the freezer. The ARB is only 2.5 amps. The small regular freezer you describe is probably a lot more, plus the inverter takes power too. You have to figure how much battery and solar panels you need. A small freezer and a Honda generator might be a better idea. Run it a few hours a day and keep it out of the sun.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
1-11-2021 at 11:43 PM
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2021 at 06:03 AM
Thanks for suggesting options

I probably ought to have explained why I was asking and specifically about G.N. & Santa Rosalia.

Leaving So. Cal. it will take us 5 or 6 days to get to Santa Rosalia the way we travel & camp. On this sort of a trip we'll have a second cooler with ribs, chicken, beef, ice cream etc. and it's packed in dry ice just as elgatoloco suggested - and we've found it also good to keep stuff frozen solid for at least the 5 to 6 days. So, we'd be in Santa Rosalia about when the dry ice is gone. Then we wanted to add dry ice, keeping the original stash of food frozen another length of time for the next week or so we'll be at Agua Verde, south of Loreto. We'd just rather bring the stuff from home and have the choices.

15 years ago a 12v cooler would have been a good choice. We've seen too many sunrises to be investing $600 to $1,000 in a cooler now.

John
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2021 at 06:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajarich  

It depends on the draw of the freezer. The ARB is only 2.5 amps

Is that 2.5A at 12V? That's incredible.

Unfortunately, with an open bed, having to leave a $1000 cooler in the back would be risky if I had to park at a trailhead for a few days.

John
Mother of Dragons
Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 1-12-2021 at 08:02 AM

BOLA has block ice at the first tienda as you drive into ‘town’.

Yeti coolers work really well..I’ve kept stuff frozen for well over a week. Prime it with ice for a couple days before.
Very expensive but they work.

Mr. Bills
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2021 at 10:01 AM

I used to be one of those "You don't need no stinkin' 12v fridge" guys.

Now I own three.

My first was an Engel MT45 (same as ARB MT45) that I won in a raffle 17 years ago that is mounted in my offroad trailer and is still going strong. It will operate as a fridge or a freezer but not both at the same time. It is currently being used as my "garage freezer" for frozen items that won't fit inside the house fridge.

The second is a Dometic CFX95DZW, two compartment fridge and freezer that came with a Class B motorhome. This is a very large unit that can be set up as 100% freezer, 100% fridge or mixed two fridge and freezer.

My most recent is a Dometic CF18 that I scored in an open box sale on Amazon. This will operate as a fridge or freezer but isn't a dual zone. It is the perfect size for behind the seats of my jeep and the same physical dimensions as the 26 qt. rotomolded cooler it replaced but holds more food because there is no need for ice.

This You Tube video review of various 12v fridge options is actually quite helpful. The Iceco brand gets several positive comments.

https://youtu.be/ija2LmLVZHA

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2021 at 10:02 AM

Specs for every frig/freezer I have examined say 7 amps at 12v DC max draw. Of course the load is intermittent as the compressor cycles to meet the cooling load. Many of us use an aux battery to prevent discharge of the start battery. For just a single night on a moderate temp day the start batt will be adequate. All the units I investigated have a voltage cutoff to prevent significant battery discharge. If one moves each day then the battery will be recharged during the drive.
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 1-12-2021 at 10:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
... If one moves each day then the battery will be recharged during the drive.

If in camp not moving for a few days, a 100 W solar panel keeps the battery in prime condition. I have an older 45? qt ARB and I've sat for 4 days without turning on the engine once.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.