Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Adolfo Lopez Mateos...Magdalena Bay Whales
Mother of Dragons
Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 1-14-2021 at 07:51 AM
Adolfo Lopez Mateos...Magdalena Bay Whales

I’m interested to see the whales at this spot this year.
I HAVE been doing a lot of research but I’m looking to hear about experiences there.

Is there a lot of places to camp?
What is the best place to camp?
Is it only dry?
Are there recommended places to eat or alternative things to see there?
Ect..

Anyone been that could share their experiences please.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-14-2021 at 08:58 AM

I was there in the summer researching for the road guide. I stayed in a motel. Facilities are almost non-existent for tourism when it is not whale season. Baja Nomad 'Mula' is there, maybe she will see this and give you better intel? A sportfishing company, Mag Bay Outfitters is there and they may have some facilities for RVs? The owners are friends of my son, who worked there one summer in 2012.

My Lopez Mateos notes and photos are on Day 3 of this trip report: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=87323

From 2017:
Day 3:
Nearing Ciudad Insurgentes, I take the paved road west to López Mateos, a fishing town and whale watching center on Magdalena Bay. It is 20 miles to town. I drive around and go to the Hotel Refugio, recommended by 'Mula' on Baja Nomad forums, who has a home there. The hotel owner (Róman) was very nice and the room was air conditioned, very small, but comfortable at 350 pesos (=US$20.17). The WiFi only works in the dining room area, which was not serving food in the summer... because whales are not there then! I made a couple posts and checked email. I slept well... but the mosquitos got me when I was in the dining room area and outside.

Day 4:
I don't want to say too much about López Mateos because I was not there very long and didn't have any Nomads to show me the highlights. My son lived there for a couple months in 2012 working for Mag Bay Outfitters (their son and my son were best friends from 4th grade on and we used to take him camping with us to Baja and the desert). It is off season, humid, mosquitos, and most restaurants were closed... again no whales or tourists in the summer. There is a huge building that looked like a museum for whale watchers out at the dock where they must get on boats to see the beasties up close. Closed now, naturally.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 1-14-2021 at 09:18 AM

Suzanna, you might also look into Puerto San Carlos (we used to camp by the boat launch in the estuary), also Puerte Chale in Bahia Almejas a little further south of Cd. Constitución.

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2021 at 06:04 AM

check your u2u.
bajamary1952
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2021 at 09:49 AM

There is only dry camping at the parking lot with no shade. Best time to see whales is mid-March.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2021 at 09:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by boe4fun  
Suzanna, you might also look into Puerto San Carlos (we used to camp by the boat launch in the estuary), also Puerte Chale in Bahia Almejas a little further south of Cd. Constitución.
FWIW I have been out of Pto Chale, Pto San Carlos and Pto Lopez Mateo and have had the best experiences in Lopez Mateo. The bay itself is much smaller and we always seemed to have better access to the whales. The whales are very spread out in the other areas and they didn't seem quite as interested in coming up to the pangas.

All of these trips are just day trips from La Paz for me so I can't speak to accommodations or camping.

In Memory of E-57
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-15-2021 at 10:58 AM

On my last trip back from Baja Sur, I decided to do a drive by and see what was at the end of the road to Puerto Chale. I actually spent more time driving to and from the fish camp than I did at the port!

My impression is that it is nearly devoid of services, unless there is a company store at the commercial fish camp. I saw one house that looked like it was set up as a restaurant, but it was closed. I did not see anything resembling a campground, but I did not actually encounter anyone who I could ask about it.

Some of the side roads around there were interesting. They resembled some of the whoop de do's left over from a Baja 1k course, with pin striping vegetation reclaiming the trail!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2021 at 05:25 PM

We stayed in the parking lot in our RV. Great tour with Piratas. I think my pictures got lost in the trip reports but here's my blog https://www.awaywewinnebago.com/touching-gray-whales/

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.