Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Maybe Time For Baja Moto Road Race
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2021 at 11:21 AM
Maybe Time For Baja Moto Road Race

Since recently there are some nice paved roads in Baja a “Isle of Man” style motor cycle race would be a very popular event, be a big boost to the economy, and fit in well with local preference of getting as close as possible to the action. Only possible if COVID is finally contained however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iPjc1sp4Eo
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2021 at 11:23 AM

Love it. Far bigger cojones than mine!

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 1-16-2021 at 12:25 PM

we had one! 1987 La Carrera Classic II.......they shut down hwy 3 and raced between Ensenada and San Felipe. btw thats the great Duane Summers on the 713 Ducati!

[Edited on 1-16-2021 by Don Pisto]

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-16-2021 at 12:41 PM

Right behind the bikes on the stage, is bike with a side car. I can't think of a more terrifying ride than that!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2021 at 02:24 PM

the isle of mann TT[tourist trophy] is about my favorite motor sport event to watch.
it would be cool to do it here.
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2021 at 02:40 PM

I asked a friend that lives in London about going and he said the island is totally booked up at huge prices and filled with hot groupies (sounds like a wonderland to me!).

RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2021 at 02:46 PM

What's a man to do?
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 1-16-2021 at 02:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RocketJSquirrel  
I asked a friend that lives in London about going and he said the island is totally booked up at huge prices and filled with hot groupies (sounds like a wonderland to me!).

not this year.........:(
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2021 at 02:47 PM

Yes. not this year. Though maybe the "hotties" as the Brits say, are there.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2021 at 04:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
we had one! 1987 La Carrera Classic II.......they shut down hwy 3 and raced between Ensenada and San Felipe. btw thats the great Duane Summers on the 713 Ducati!

[Edited on 1-16-2021 by Don Pisto]

I didn’t know about that. Wonder why it didn’t keep going...financial?political? Who knows.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2021 at 08:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Right behind the bikes on the stage, is bike with a side car. I can't think of a more terrifying ride than that!

if you have yet to see the isle of mann sidecar action...check it out.. hair-raising!
such a race between Tecate and san Felipe would be highly entertaining.

https://youtu.be/iGnEC8S-bcE. link to IOM sidecar video

[Edited on 1-17-2021 by pacificobob]

[Edited on 1-17-2021 by pacificobob]
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-17-2021 at 11:28 AM
Baja Ducs

My first moto trip to Baja was in 1993 on my R80GS.....a few years after my first trip to Baja.....to kayak Isla Espiritu Santu for 10 days with sister and two others.

The R80 had the suspension improved (Ohlins rear/Race Tech forks) and some other mods that made it a sweet bike (but as I learned, still too heavy to really enjoy the desert).

When I pulled into Catavina on my way down, I rolled into the Pemex on the east side of the highway for fuel.

Two guys on Ducatis, wearing leathers, were ahead of me. The guy who finished fueling first pulled over and kept his bike running, and seemed quite impatient with his partner who was a bit slower with the fill-up. Our brief conversation lead me to understand they were doing a Sandy Eggo to Cabo loop run and were on their way back to SD..... they said they did this several times and were looking to improve their times.... :o

Those Ducs have a nice quack :cool:

Don't believe everything you think....
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2021 at 11:38 AM

TRE Motorsports has hosted road rallies for Porsche enthusiasts before.
Following the Federales @ +200 KPH in their Dodge Chargers was priceless. They know where all the Topes where and would flash their light bars for us.
BTW, I hold the track record for the Bajamar development perimeter road course, let me know when you would like to challenge my Porsche;)

Es Todo Bueno
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 1-17-2021 at 12:52 PM

Been there, done that

The 1972 Mexican 1000 (the final NORRA race) started in Mexicali and ran flat out on the highway to the road up to Valle de Trinidad. We smoked that baby in our pickup. The final stretch from Villa Constitucion to La Paz, likewise on the pavement.
No speed control, no "special stage" stuff.... just flat out balls to the wall racing.

and, modesty almost forbids, but not quite, we took second in the pickup class that included Mickey, Walker and all the Stroppe guys.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 1-17-2021 at 01:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  

I didn’t know about that. Wonder why it didn’t keep going...financial?political? Who knows.

I believe there were financial - and/or perhaps logistical - issues. As noted, they did shut down that highway for public travel during the event itself. There were 4-wheel vehicles competing too.

Not really a place for spectators, this was mostly an event for the participants. There were gnarly accidents (sometimes covered in magazines). Perhaps there was a lawsuit? Perhaps they tore up too many of the highway safety barriers? Just speculation.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 1-17-2021 at 01:48 PM

some kid I never heard of beat Duane by two seconds with an average speed of 108mph........boys were haulin' the mail!

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2021 at 07:51 PM

I've met guys on sport bikes on the mainland. often from Tucson or Phoenix just doing a high speed "vuelta " Phoenix to los moches and back in some very small period of time.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2021 at 08:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNomad  
Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  

I believe there were financial - and/or perhaps logistical - issues. As noted, they did shut down that highway for public travel during the event itself. There were 4-wheel vehicles competing too.

Not really a place for spectators, this was mostly an event for the participants. There were gnarly accidents (sometimes covered in magazines). Perhaps there was a lawsuit? Perhaps they tore up too many of the highway safety barriers? Just speculation.

Understandable. Probably most of the reasons stated killed the event.
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2021 at 09:07 AM

Closing long sections of Baja highways is not practical this century. Somebody has to tell the cows and goats too.

More feasible would be timed hill/mountain climbs on the various twisty sections of Baja roads, a Baja version of Pikes Peak. This could be a rolling circus, racing various sections over a week long event down the peninsula. Could mix paved and dirt climbs too, for a King of the Climbs boasting rights.

The newly-paved climb from Loreto up the canyon to the mission was my favorite twisty track climb in Baja until the next hurricane wrecked it about 10 years ago. That was peg dragging bueno camino!

[Edited on 1-18-2021 by MulegeAL]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-18-2021 at 09:53 AM

Al, they repair that road after the washouts. Almost an annual thing. In 3 years ago, there was only about a 100 meter dirt section of the 21 paved miles.

The Observatory road would be possible paved, hill climb challenge, too. Even if just to the park entrance, 83 kms from Hwy. 1, at 8,000 feet.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.