BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Beachside Architectural Gem Needs House-sitter (Northern Baja)
d-train

Mood: head high and offshore

[*] posted on 1-20-2021 at 02:59 PM
Beachside Architectural Gem Needs House-sitter (Northern Baja)

EDIT 1/29/21 - Before PM'ing me. Read this thread. The situation has changed drastically. I'm still looking for a house sitter, but, well... if you're interested, ask yourself, how good are you at fending off squatters?

----
Original Post -->
With the pandemic as it is, our family vacation home as seen no visitors in almost a year. It's a beautiful piece of property that we custom built in the mid-80s. My first time in Baja was in 1987 and I consider this land my second home.

I'm exploring the idea of a house-sitter for the next year; although I'm flexible for a longer or shorter scenario. There are actually 2 houses, the main (that you see below) and a smaller 2-bedroom guest house. Either is available for this purpose. The ideal person would be handy around the house and able to do minor maintenance. Ocean views, surfing, fishing, miles of stunning coastline and beaches, solitude.

Terms: Negotiable. All options considered.
Utilities: Electricity, Propane, Cable Internet
Location: On the Pacific Ocean, halfway between El Rosario and San Quintin.

Here are a couple pics of the property.

PM me with questions, more details, pics, GPS coordinates, etc..
Thanks for any referrals. :-)

[/url]

[Edited on 1-29-2021 by d-train]
rimrock

[*] posted on 1-20-2021 at 05:18 PM

Wow, great looking property ! My wife and I have been wintering down at Los Frailes on the tip for the last 8 years in our RV . With the state of the world decided to stay home this year at our place in southeastern Idaho. Not sure what kind of fit it would be but have always entertained house sitting/ caretaking a property somewhere. I am a retired firefighter/paramedic who is very handy and likes to putter with things, also enjoy gardening and landscaping. Based on the pictures I am sure you will have an overwhelming response. After you sift through them if you'd like to talk send me a U2U and I'll give my phone number. Thanks
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2021 at 06:20 PM

Wonderful place, sent you a u2u....
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2021 at 08:01 AM

I'm pretty sure I've seen this excellent place on my beach travels around El Socorro.

[Edited on 1-31-2021 by 55steve]
d-train

[*] posted on 1-25-2021 at 12:16 PM

I putting this house sitting opportunity on hold due to recent events over the last few days including the electricity being severed (vandalized) and the landlord dispatching her boyfriend to steal everything in the house.

EDIT: By landlord I mean the land owner. We own the homes that we built, however the land beneath them is owned by a local family who we've paid a annual lease fee for decades. This contractual arrangement is common practice in many rural areas.

[Edited on 1-26-2021 by d-train]
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2021 at 08:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by d-train  
I putting this house sitting opportunity on hold due to recent events over the last few days including the electricity being severed (vandalized) and the landlord dispatching her boyfriend to steal everything in the house.

Yikes, so sorry ! what a shame
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2021 at 10:08 AM

OH MY GOSH!!!

What a gorgeous home in a gorgeous location with, well, I think it is gorgeous!

Your instincts were right on, weren't they? Your gut told you to have someone staying rather than leave home empty.

Know that you are not the only one who sometimes has issues with the land owners not respecting the lease terms. This is just terrible and I hope it works out fine so that someone can enjoy this jewel of a home.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
d-train

[*] posted on 1-27-2021 at 08:32 AM

Lencho- You are absolutely right. It is a bizarre concept of owning the buildings but not the land; at least for myself as an American. It's taken me a long time learning how to navigate the inherent tensions this type of arrangement can produce. It's largely affected by the competence and personalities of the land owners.

The legalities in this case are buttoned up very tight. There was nothing on the land when my family leased it initially in 1986. Our lease agreement states "we have the right to make improvements (eg: build structures, homes, driveways, gardens, install utilities, etc...) to the land and we have the right to to sell those improvements for fair market value to anyone else."

I'm in Baja now dealing with the police, attorneys, etc... all the fun stuff.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2021 at 09:04 AM

A land lease is a common form of ownership for someone leasing with little/no money down. ''Improvements'' could be a structure (home) or palapa for an RV. Some leases have been existence for many years -- indicating that the lease is ''safe.'' It's not.

Anything can change when land owner decides to sell or worse, break the lease and evict the tenant. Tenant has zero recourse. If they've built a home, the home can't be moved. This stuff happens.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2021 at 09:20 AM

Gorgeous House.

So sad.

Have seen the "lease" thing go bad. Unfortunately very little recourse. Possession is 9/10ths of the law, therefore being inhabited garners a bit of control, as long as it is occupied.

Good luck d-train.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2021 at 02:28 PM

We lease land in the US from the federal Government. Same deal, we own the cabin that sits on the Forest service land for 20 years at a time (the mythical 100 year lease people talk about were for grazing). Ours was built in 1952 and we bought from the original owners, our lease comes up in two years but I don't for see any problems.
They could decide not to renew our lease and we would have ten years to remove our structure from the land. They have to approve all of the changes outside the cabin and to the land. We have no complaints and have been happy with the agreement for many years, but that's in the US not Mexico.
We have decided we will probably only rent in Mexico to avoid the lease and title issues we have seen.
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2021 at 03:09 PM

Your in the same boat as a trustee not performing duties outlined in a trust.

Slap a lien on the property. Then nobody can do anything.

Tell the boyfriend you know El Chapo.

(This is why my truck is Sinoloa Blue, El Chapo gave it to me):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Es Todo Bueno
d-train

[*] posted on 1-29-2021 at 02:10 PM

Been offline for a few days with boots on the ground dealing w/ the Mexican legal system. The boyfriend is now living in the house with his friends and/or family members of the land lady, and with her encouragement. I've been prevented from accessing the property because, well, I need an army to get in and boot these squatters out and I just don't have that at my disposal. This local family (the owners of the ranch where my property sits along with other Americans), and who as recent as last year I was toasting with drinks at a local wedding, have completely turned on me and are making their best efforts to seize my family homes.

A 'denuncia' or 'querella' is being prepared as I type this, which according to my local attorney, is part of the process, to handle this situation legally. Once those legal proceedings are finalized, we'll head back with the police.

Obviously the question next, is then what? Let's say I secure the property and find a house sitter. Anytime I return for vacation I'm gonna be looking over my shoulder. I could to sell it, however any potential buyers will need to negotiate a new lease with the land owners, who at this point have made their intentions pretty damn clear.

To top it all off, there is the fact an American couple who had a home in this community, were killed here last year.

You're probably wondering, where is the place?

El Socorrito (also referred to as El Socorro)

If there is an emoji for a headache combined with sadness, I'd insert it here.

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2021 at 02:40 PM

d-train, wow, what a tuff spot to be in! Seems like more and more this is becoming the norm with long term lease. The newer generation doesn't seem to be honoring what the families have had in place for many years.
Hope it works out for you. The Americans you are talking about is the older couple that were dumped in the well? If so, wasn't the killer in fact from the same family you are leasing from? Yikes....
d-train

[*] posted on 1-29-2021 at 03:37 PM

Yes, it's the same Americans whose bodies were dumped in the well.
Yes, the killer is from the same family we're leasing from.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-29-2021 at 04:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by d-train  
Yes, it's the same Americans whose bodies were dumped in the well.
Yes, the killer is from the same family we're leasing from.

sounds like a horrible situation. sorry to hear that.

new terms come to mind: thuglord or monsterlord (ala landlord, slumlord, etc.)

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2021 at 06:32 PM

Yikes, that's a little crazy. Maybe head over to the main land and see if there are any extra/unemployed cartel looking for work! Joking, but man not sure how you deal with someone like that...
Rafael Solorzano

[*] posted on 1-31-2021 at 01:45 PM
I have your back!

This is a fight that must be fought.

It is not right to have someone act like a criminal when there is a door open to talk, but seems that the "landlady" is no lady and is trying her best to scare you and have you walk away for her to pounce on your house.

It would be ideal to find a person who is not easily persuaded to move out.

Regards,

Rafael Solorzano.

[Edited on 1-31-2021 by Rafael Solorzano]
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2021 at 09:01 PM

I would think someone fluent in Spanish would be a big plus. Might be good to have several people there at any one time. I know I wouldn't want to be there unarmed and being that it's Mexico that's not an option. I know you are working in the right direction with legal help, might check with the new member here that posted about giving legal advise as well.
steekers
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2021 at 10:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Rafael Solorzano  
This is a fight that must be fought.

It is not right to have someone act like a criminal when there is a door open to talk, but seems that the "landlady" is no lady and is trying her best to scare you and have you walk away for her to pounce on your house.

It would be ideal to find a person who is not easily persuaded to move out.

Regards,

Rafael Solorzano.

[Edited on 1-31-2021 by Rafael Solorzano]

Very glad to see you fight this Battle Rafael. It seems this is a very important case because there are thousands of people in Baja that have leases. They built nice homes and for the lowlife to come along and take it, peees off many. Regardless if the house owner finds a suitable candidate, what can be done to the thugs that will come in the middle of the night all drugged up seeking revenge? So freakin sad to see.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.